OMFL Blog X - AFC Breakdown (edited title to BLOG)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Blogger X, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blogger X

Blogger X Walk On

OMFL Blog X - AFC Breakdown (edited title to BLOG)

Welcome to Blog X, the OMFL’s first independent blog!

To celebrate the OMFL’s one year anniversary, the league has funded an independent staffer to break down the league free of bias. With Blog X, you will get the most in depth and straightforward analysis of the league and its teams, owners, and players. We hope that our addition will continue to expand this leagues content, already known around the world as the best content driven Madden league on the planet!

For our inaugural article, I will take you around the league division by division and break down all of the teams. We won’t pull any punches, and you will only get straight talk here, so be prepared! We will also give you some of our predictions as we had into the playoffs.

Let’s get to it! This week we will break down the AFC. Stay tuned next week for NFC coverage.

American Football Conference

AFC West

Kansas City Chiefs (7-3) – Bluebean: Mimicking the real Chiefs seems to be no problem here, as both have been huge surprises this year. Bluebean’s masterful coaching has allowed them to get out to a three game lead in the west. With only six games to go, this division is theirs to lose. Jamaal Charles is proving he is one of the league’s elite backs. Couple that with a solid defense and the Chiefs are very balanced in all aspects of the game. The one thing that has been disappointing is this team’s (and owner’s) inability to win the big games against the top owners. That will have to change if Kansas City expects to make it past Wild-Card Weekend.

Denver Broncos (4-6) – BadaBing: The Broncos are your default #2 team in the AFC by virtue of their win over San Diego and tiebreakers. The problem for this squad is there is literally zero room for error the rest of the season. If they have any shot at a division title or a wild-card they need to finish 10-6. This has been a bit of a disappointing season for the Broncos. They lost their coach mid-stream and have floundered trying to find a rhythm. That defense has been porous and Coach BadaBing must find out some answers there to be more competitive.

San Diego Chargers (4-6) – Sammymitchell: The Not-So Super Chargers just got shellacked by the Broncos in a very important game this past week. Sammy had his eyes on a playoff run earlier, but he has fallen apart in recent weeks. Blog X knows this must be very disappointing for a team that really has its best window of opportunity to win now. They have aging stars and not nearly as much cap space as some of the other contenders in the league. This simply means that the Chargers must learn to utilize the talent they currently have better, as there won’t be many opportunities to improve. If they don’t, it could be a very long four seasons in San Diego.

Oakland Raiders (3-7) – Savaunte: Another disappointing loss for the Raiders, getting beat by the Steelers. This loss basically eliminates the Raiders from playoff contention this season. Coach Savaunte is an interesting character. For a few weeks he can seem like one of the most talented owners in the OMFL, but then something happens and his teams fall flat for weeks at a time. The good news is that the Raiders should have a shot at a nice draft, and lots of cap room means the offseason will be Savaunte’s chance to right this ship.

AFC South

Jacksonville Jaguars (10-0) – Sdunlap: There aren’t any surprises bigger than this one. The Jaguars, affectionately known as the ‘Green Machine’ by Dunlap and the Jag fans, have been playing at a different level all season long. There is nobody, this blogger included, who thought that Coach Sdunlap would have the Jaguars undefeated and looking like the league’s best team. They do it with defense and Maurice Jones-Drew. They have only allowed 147 points (14.7ppga) and Jones-Drew looks to be a runaway for league MVP with over 1400 yards rushing and 18 TDs. We have tried to ask owners to find a chink in the Jag’s armor but so far every question has been answered. They can play run defense, you can’t throw against them, of course they can rush the ball, and they have even shown games where David Garrard carries the load. Furthermore, it looks like they are comfortable playing at any pace, so slowing them down doesn’t seem to help. . .they’ll just beat you 20-7 and be happy about it. This team right now is a machine, and it’s best to get out of their way.

Houston Texans (4-5) – Moogle: This week’s game against the Jets is pivotal. Everybody thought the Texans would be OMFL Bowl contenders and so far they’ve disappointed like the majority of the AFC South. However there is still time to right the ship. Injuries have taken their toll, and losing Andre Johnson early in the season has made this team completely different offensively. Credit Coach Moogle for patching things up to keep them competitive. If they can beat the Jets and get to 5-5, they will be right in the thick of the AFC playoff race. Once they start getting healthy we expect this team to be very dangerous. Look to a Week 17 matchup against the Jags to potentially decide a playoff spot for Houston. If they can get in the playoff tournament healthy, you’ll have to put them as contenders for a title.

Indianapolis Colts (4-6) – Jeremy: The two time OMFL Bowl Champ has fallen on hard times. Since OMFL Bowl II he hasn’t seemed to find a rhythm. Of course it can’t help that he has been the owner of four teams in three months, but you would think his talent would override this. However as the 41-14 pounding the Colts endured at the hands of the Patriots it seems like this isn’t the case. Because of the loss, Indianapolis now faces must wins the rest of the way. If there is an owner who is best with his back against the wall it’s Jeremy. However, the Colts may have dug themselves too big of a hole to get out of. Even 10-6 may not be enough to get in the playoffs in the AFC.

Tennessee Titans (3-7) – BigOx: There hasn’t been a bigger disappointment in the OMFL than Tennessee. They have the league’s premier running back, and they had been to the playoffs the past two seasons. When the Titans started slow, there was no panic. They had done so in each of their first three seasons, and always turned it on during the second half of the year. They look to be coming around again, with back to back victories, but it’s too little too late. It seems like they have a few things to play for now. First, Chris Johnson still has a chance for another 2000 yard season and a rushing title. Also, they get a chance to play mega spoiler with games against each of the other AFC South teams.

AFC North

Cincinnati Bengals (6-4) – DJDunn: For the first time this season the Bengals have taken the lead in the AFC North. Give big credit to Coach DJDunn as he saw the Browns get out to a huge early lead which may have been deflating, but he stuck with his team and managed to be competitive every week. It will be interesting to see how the Bengals fare down the stretch. They have a porus defense that is allowing nearly 27 points per game. That just isn’t good enough to be considered a true contender in the AFC. However, let’s not forget that DJDunn is one of those owners who always plays the big boys tough. He has consistently beaten some of the top OMFL teams in the past, and he would be an interesting factor in the playoffs. We know that there are a few owners who don’t want to play him in an elimination game.

Cleveland Browns (6-3) – MiklosNysili: Things have come unraveled for the Brownies. After cruising the first half of the year, OMFL league officials found serious violations of league policy and former owner GABeastMode was removed from his position. The last two games under the new ownership have been mixed results, however resulting in losses. They played the undefeated Jaguars tough, only losing 24-17, and they had a lead the week earlier before collapsing in the fourth quarter. There is still time for this team to rebound. They have one of the league’s best backs in Jerome Harrison and an opportunistic defense that forces a lot of turnover and can get pressure on the quarterback. If the ownership situation stabilizes Cleveland can be a factor in the playoff race down the stretch.

Pittsburgh Steelers (4-6) – Jethro: The Steel City is used to winners, and doesn’t have a lot of tolerance for mediocrity. New owner Jethro has slugged through the year being competitive in most games and even winning a few that he shouldn’t have. The Steelers still have an outside shot at the playoffs but it won’t happen with their defense. That until is giving up 32 (yes 32!) points per game. This is forcing their offense that has always been mediocre to come and play at a super high level in order to win. If they can ease the pressure on their offense their success will go up, however we don’t see that happening this year.

Baltimore Ravens (2-7) – Weblink: It’s the norm for Baltimore to struggle putting up points and this year is no exception, with them averaging just 18ppg. Their defense has been ok, but not nearly lights out enough to compensate for that much of a lack of offense. It’s been another disappointing season for Coach Weblink, who just can’t seem to translate his success from the college ranks to the pros. Maybe an offseason and draft will help.

AFC East

New England Patriots (9-1) – Coach Gaddy: What was billed as a tough division that would lead to a contender unseating the Patriots hasn’t materialized. New England has just one setback and are rolling to their fourth consecutive division title. Coach Gaddy boasts perhaps the league’s most feared offense, with a versatile passing game that other teams just haven’t been able to contain. Tom Brady is an MVP contender with 3097 yards passing and 22 touchdowns. Their defense has been opportunistic as usual, forcing turnovers and using both man and zone blitz schemes to really keep their opponents off balance. What we do know about Gaddy’s Patriots is that they have had trouble in the postseason. However, even with all of the naysayers out there it is hard to see anybody but perhaps the Jaguars as a true challenger in the AFC right now to them. It just seems like a broken record for New England. . .they are rolling through another regular season and will finish with either the #1 or #2 seed. This could finally be the year they hoist an OMFL Bowl Trophy.

New York Jets (6-3): What a mess this team has been. On the field they have shown an ability to compete with the best teams in the league and have a defense whose secondary may be one of the best in league history. However their off the field issues have been distracting. Their previous owner, Scikotic, lost a game to the Lions and couldn’t handle it and went off the deep end and left the league. When your coach can’t handle losing and abandons a team you know things are going to be tough. Now, their new coach leaves them after less than a week on the job. Does anybody want these Jets? They have the talent to be a force, but they need a capable and committed owner to back them up. Only time will tell if that will happen.

Miami Dolphins (5-4) – Mustang: It’s been a wild ride for Dolphin fans. The major offseason hoopla surrounded their hiring of one of the greatest minds in OMFL history, Coach Mustang. The expectations skyrocketed in South Florida as fans expected to be title contenders right away. What they have gotten is a frustrating first 10 weeks. Mustang has had to attend to some personal matters have ‘disconnected’ from his team multiple times during the first half of the season. Their assistant coaches have tried to keep things together until their leader returns. The good news is that they find themselves squarely in the middle of the playoff race even after all the discontent. A good defense and a great running back in Ronnie Brown means they have a blueprint for success in this league. . .a running game + defense. If Coach Mustang can guide his team into the playoffs watch out as they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Buffalo Bills (4-6): It’s not that this season has been necessarily a disappointment for the Bills. They have circles the wagons and responded by putting together a competitive team on the field week after week. They even handed the Patriots their only loss of the year. Their problem is twofold. First, they have had no consistency from the owner position. Like the Jets they have been a revolving door form Hulk, to SRC, to Matt, to now it looks like a new face. There isn’t a team in the league that is going to be successful running through that many leaders. Secondly, they play in one of the toughest divisions in the OMFL. Mediocrity just won’t cut it in the AFC East.

PREDICTIONS

AFC West - Chiefs (11-5): We think the Chiefs current three game lead will be too much to overcome, although we do see both the Broncos and the Chargers nipping on their heels the rest of the way.

AFC South – Jaguars (15-1): They could conceivably run the table and become the first undefeated team in OMFL History. However tests against the Colts, Texans, and Titans means a slip up might be likely.

AFC North – Bengals (11-5): This team just looks to be the class of the AFC North right now, and should fight their way to the division title.

AFC East - Patriots (14-2): Patriots will cruise the rest of the way. Only hiccup may come against Dolphins or Jets.

Wild Card 1 – Dolphins (10-6): Dolphins will edge out some competition to claim a wild-card over the Jets.

Wild Card 2 – Browns (10-6): We just think that the Browns are too good with that defense and Harrison to miss the playoffs.

AFC Champion – Jaguars: If there has been a better team in this league we don’t see it. Expect a huge AFC Title game matchup between the OMFL’s top two teams, the Pats and Jags. The defense has been exceptionally good against the pass, which is what the Patriots thrive on. Further, the Patriots rush defense has been porous at times which isn’t a good sign if they were to face Maruice Jones-Drew. Hold the presses everybody, the Jags and Coach Dunlap may just stun the world and make it all they way to the promise land in year one. Who would have thunk it?

2. VishaL

VishaL OMFL Eagles / PMFL Seahawks

Great to have you here Blogger X!! nice read! Hands down MJD is MVP right now and i think they will run the table and go undefeated, i look foward to your contributions in the future

3. Big D

Big D Walk On

Very nice writeup dude. . .althought I think you meant "OMFL Blog X" not "Blox X". . .or maybe I'm wrong. LoL. Keep em coming.

4. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Thumbs up from me, Blogger X. Although I am about 99.9% certain I know who you REALLY are....

5. Matt54987

Matt54987 Walk On

Nice job dude! Great read. Hopefully the Jets can get a late push for the playoffs.

6. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

Blogger X where are you?!?!?!

7. sammymitchell25

sammymitchell25 Walk On

update requested, my team got bashed by you, now after winning 3 straight, I want an article of praise...lol

or ill just settle for the long awaited "This week in the OMFL" or "Power Rankings" to come out but I wont hold my breath

8. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

You stay Classy OMFL.

This league is comprised of a ton of great owners, yet its a damn shame that people who leave the league are constantly getting shit on by the same few guys. Of course we expect nothing less given its happened time and again. Now, I have kept to myself regarding my departure from OMFL, trying to avoid confrontation, but it seems someone really can't help themself. When I come back to see how some of my buddies from OMFL are doing and the first thread I read in a week or so has an owner (dont give me this anonymous "Blogger X" bullshit) trying to take a cheap shot at me, I think that reflects mighty poorly on the guilty party. I think someone needs to get over it.

So with that said, we really don't want to go down the path of outing an owner here and dumping on a few board members for the reasoning of my departure, do we?

No?

9. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

haha

10. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Blogger X and all IP's associated are about to get banned. There is history here with Sciko. It's ok to poke fun at friends and what not but this was highly unnecessary.

11. pbates86

pbates86 Walk On

Come back Sci

12. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

Well sci already has issues with me but i swear that blooger X is NOT me. Believe what you want, but I am not doing it.

13. sammymitchell25

sammymitchell25 Walk On

Blogger X is........ Ryan Leaf, he's trying to come back to football anyway he can..lol

I cant believe I liked him over Peyton. quoting me " Indy would be fools to pass up on a guy like Leaf "

14. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Nate, I know it's not you. Unless for some odd reason you transplanted yourself from Louisiana across the country into the Northwest, to the residence of.......

Well, we won't go there. But it's already been verified who it is. Blogger X didn't try very hard to hide his identity, or he just seem to understand that IP addresses are fairly traceable and a very obvious fingerprint on every post made in the history of the internet.

Oh well.

15. mustang20241

mustang20241 Walk On

LOL WHOS THIS SCIKOTIC GUY

16. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Some jerk. I hate that guy.

Dude, why aren't you conquering the East yet? Didn't you say you were going to make Gaddy your whipping boy?

LOL.

17. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

At least someone knows it isn't me as well as me. LOL

18. Big D

Big D Walk On

Unless I am mistaken you are smoking crack. I have stayed quiet until now so I wouldn't stir the pot, but you need to back off and get out of here. First of all, I am not blogger X. Secondly you don't have permissions to view IP addresses. Thirdly, even if I was blogger X I will defend him.

You do realize that the timestamp on this post by Blogger X was Oct. 12...right after you left the Jets. You called out Winuvas and quit the league saying he was a cheeser who does anything to win. Thats crap, and out of anybody here in this league Winuvas is NOT an owner who cheeses or does anything to win.

Please....if I have to get Frisk to ban you from the OMFL forums then I will. This topic is closed. This issue is over. Enjoy your time in the PMFL....and thanks again for bringing this up after 3 weeks had passed.

My goodness. . . .thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.