Omfl Content

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Big D, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Big D

Big D Walk On

We are a content first league, I think we have all agreed on this. Our content from most of our owners is non existent.

I would like to get the go-ahead for a couple of minor rule adjustments that will help us continue to be a viable, solvent league well into the future.

1) Every single owner will need to sign up for some type of content to be 'released' at minimum once per week. This doens't have to be a novel or something huge, but it needs to be done. Taking 10 minutes out of your time once per calendar week isn't asking too much. I think this will help us all say active and have a much more enjoyable OMFL experience.

2) We get super uber strick on game summaries. I say we put requirements that the game summaries must be a minimum of 100 words, and must be posted by the winning owner within 24 hours after the complettion of your game. The recaps that say "Wildcats win 33-7 behind great play from Pancho Villa at quarterback. Wildcats now 3-3 and in the mix of the playoffs. GG Dunlap."....those kind or recaps shouldn't cut it. 100 words takes maybe 5 minutes to write. We play two days a week. Do the math...its not too much to ask.

In total, we are asking our guys to committ approximately 30 minutes a week on the forums if we make these changes. (when you factor in scheduling, etc.)

I would love to get this in motion. Please give me the go ahead to do this. With how inactive our board has been I'll just do this 'on my own' unless I can get people to 'vote' on this by tomorrow night.

2. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

I vote yes. All of the other premier leagues (at least the NCAA ones) here require content from every owner, so we should too

3. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

and if it's just that they at least post game summaries, that is not too much to ask

4. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I think you could combine what you have as an idea in one simple way: Have everyone do a summary of the game. Whether they win or lose.

This takes care of content by everyone (and still allows those of us who want to do more to do more), will help promote the OMFL as far as activity in the league. I like the 100 word minimum setup, and whomever is over the game summaries needs to be a "dick" about this. I usually do a summary of my game, win or lose. Now I do it because I think people like reading what I write (which is why I do it), but making it mandatory for both parties to tell their story should solve both your problems you propose, Dunlap.

I'm all in favor of that.

5. Big D

Big D Walk On

What I could do is we can come up with a list of 32 different types of content...something easy and managable that everybody can do. Guys can choose from that list. They need to release the content on a set basis, unless they are on vacation or something else.

TBH I don't mind requiring a bit more than other premier leagues. This is what sets us apart, and with a mediocre version of madden it is what will keep us viable until next August!

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

If you can come up with that many types of content that won't result in the "fat kid in dodgeball" syndrome....I'm game for it.

7. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

In other premier leagues not every owner has to do content. Saying that everyone is required to do content is something that we can do but OMFL will be the only league on this site with that requirement. If thats what you guys want to do thats fine with me. We have to start somewhere.

8. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Would the summaries for all owners be too much, Frisk?

Honestly, I like your passion on wanting all owners to do content, Dunlap. But let's be fair and honest here - not all of us can write as well as.....well, me. Not to brag, but I think I do some of the best writing on the OMFL side of life. There are some guys that do good, and some (like Nate and Dunlap) do better than me in some cases, but some of them.....not exactly all-american on the keyboard, if you get my drift. Making them do mandatory writing may do more harm than good, unless it's something that is already required by the league - game summaries. Plus it keeps the crappier teams (like myself) interested by writing articles involving a bad team.

I think that requiring all owners to do game summaries would encourage the participation we all want, and putting some guidelines on it (100 word minimum I like) or examples of what we are looking for would encourage the participation as well. If we do this, though, the game summaries guru needs to be 1000% percent on top of this. Any issues they need to report to the writer and keep them on point.

9. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

I don't mind being sticker on summaries, I'd actually welcome that. As far as content I say we keep doing what we are doing. My life has gotten busy and I just can't do anything right now. You have put on (dunlap) one podcast this year, you're busy. I don't want to start losing owners who quit over too much requirements. Stay on them, push for more, but thats all we can require imo. I do like the summaries though.

10. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

I hate writing, I'll be honest. I hated English and Writing classes, I'm a math guy.

11. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Like I couldn't tell with how you took to the cap book like a fish to water. lol

Would you be opposed to having all owners writing a game summary Dave? Since you don't like writing (which I'd say about half of our league falls under), would this be a problem for you?

Cause if you don't like it, I guarantee about half the owners in the league won't like it.

12. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

Oh, I wouldn't be opposed to that at all. There are some options too:

A) each owner starts a thread in the Game Results forum about their game win or lose (simmed games too?)

B) the winner starts the thread and the opponent must also make a summary in the thread (probablt not the best idea)

C) In the team news thread, each owner summarizes their game in a running thread (I think some guys earlier said it's done like that in other leagues)

13. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I don't mind option C. Would encourage all teams to have a team news thread (which isn't the case now) and make them post, win or lose, a storyline each week.

I don't expect the next Pulitzer Prize-winning article to come from this, but I do think this will up the content of the league as a whole. And you never know, maybe we have a good writer in our midst?

14. natedawg212000

the reason i am against every owner writing a summary is because 99.9% of owners are not going to be good sports and write this great grand summary about the game they just lost. it opens doors to arguments and cheese call outs and all kinda of yuck. just something to keep in mind.

15. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

I love that OMFL requires the winner to write the summary. This is something that we have adapted in other leagues. So I think we need to stay firm on our required summaries and daily activity is a minimum. Of course we have our 3 strikes your out in place so if anyone is slacking we can weed out the losers.

16. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Excellent point, sir. I did not think of that part of it.

17. Big D

Big D Walk On

Let's keep brainstorming here. . .there must be a way to require more activity without going too overboard.

How about we keep the current game summaries requirement as it is written now. Here would be my idea for extra content that is simple and straightforwards and won't add too much burden on anybody.

We require each team to start a 'Team News' thread, which they must update at least once per calendar week. We won't even put a length requirement on it, but just have a general guideline for the weekly articles, like update us on your injuries, any position battles, or other team news that the league might not know about. Really, for the less skilled writers they could literally just whip up a short two paragraph post that would take literally a couple of minutes. I think think would foster more participation in the league and help all owners become more active on the forums.

What do you guys think?

18. natedawg212000

Not a bad idea. I could handle that.

19. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

Good idea. Team summary thread is perfect. Once a week is not asking too much.

20. natedawg212000

lets get others thoughts and then dunlap and introduce since he is the media person.

21. Big D

Big D Walk On

Ok, I am posting this even tho some guys haven't weighed in looks like we have a consensus.

I am going to make Wednesdays the 'cycle' day for this, meaning guys must post a new article by every Tuesday night.