OMFL Offseason

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by natedawg212000, Dec 14, 2009.

1. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

OMFL Offseason

26 - Offseason
    Offseason OMFL

First thing to do is owners take their top 10 players on offense and defense and figure the average value of just those 10 players. Here's an example from my team:

Offense:
    Dwayne Bowe (87)
    Brendan Albert (84)
    Kerry Collins (79)
    Ryan Tucker (78)
    Earnest Graham (78)
    Naufahu Tahi (78)
    David Thomas (75)
    Melvin Fowler (74)
    Andy Alleman (74)
    Sean Ryan (72)

Average of these players: 77.8 (round up to 78)

Defense:
    Darren Sharper (87)
    Kyle Vanden Bosch (87)
    Derrick Johnson (83)
    Tyson Jackson (77)
    Brandon Flowers (77)
    Demorrio Williams (72)
    Zak DeOssie (72)
    Quentin Groves (70)
    Kendrick Clancy (69)

Average of these players: 76.5 (round up to 77)

Okay, now I look at each list and make the following decisions:
    1. CUT 3 players at or above the average top 10
    2. CUT 3 players at orbelow the average top 10, but in the top 10 (has to be a guy on the list below the average)
    3. These players are free agents, but they will have 2 Restricted and 1 Franchise Tag to hand out.
    4. 1 Franchise Tag is given to the player who is untouchable and is back on that team.
    5. 2 Restricted are handed out between the other 5 players. These 2 Restricted players are free agents and can be bid on. 24 hours after the winning bid the team who has the Restricted Tag on the player can match or decide to release the player.

2. maij17

maij17 PSN: MAIJ17

how many players will be cut in total after the first two steps 6 or 12?

3. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

It will be 6. You still figure on both sides of the ball, as either side of the ball will have different averages. But you can cut those 6 however you like. If you want to cut 5 on offense and 1 on defense, as long as 3 of those 6 are above the average, and the other three are still on the list but below the average, you make those cuts.

4. maij17

maij17 PSN: MAIJ17

thx, Win

5. Big D

Big D Walk On

This is beautifully designed! Simple, yet will make for a GREAT offseason! Love it!

Thanks Nate.

6. Big D

Big D Walk On

One question. . .if you cut a guy you picked up in free agency using this sytem do you still take a cap hit?

7. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I had this question already. Yes, you take a hit for the new year coming for any cuts made to free agents you signed.

8. Big D

Big D Walk On

Ok. . .where to K and P figure into this?

Also with the above question, let's say I want to RFA K-Bironas (96) and somebody bids and takes him. . .would I still take a cap hit there since I didn't cut him?

Honestly I am hoping K/P don't factor into this since that would lead to a skewed average!

9. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Special teams do not figure into this. Top 10 on offense and defense only. No special teams. Who cares about K and P anyway? lol

To add to your RFA question, I'm not entirely sure. I don't think we went over that scenario. If I had to make an educated guess, though, it would fall under a cap hit of overall for 1 year.

10. Big D

Big D Walk On

I actually have an idea. . .and this will allow owners to get out of some 'bad contracts'. . .

Why not say that anybody RFA'd or CUT using this system, you do NOT get a cap hit for this? This will add another element to it, and allow some people options when wanting to get out of 'bad' contracts?

Thoughts Win and Nate?

11. natedawg212000

if you cut a player then you take the hit, just like you would for a real salary cap system. if you restrict a player, someone signs him and you do NOT want to match then you take no hit, you simply lose the player.

12. Big D

Big D Walk On

Ok sounds good!

So could I use one of my RFA tags on Bironas? I realize that I would still have to 'CUT' the required amount of people in the above system, but could I do this to help me get out of a big contract for a kicker?

13. natedawg212000

well bironas doesnt 'count' towards this system, so cutting him would not solve anything.

14. Big D

Big D Walk On

Well no I understand that. . .but basically my question is can I use my 2 RFA tags on people outside of the 'top 10' lists in order to possibly get out of bad contracts. Lets say I just outright cut 5 players on the top 10 lists (franchise tag makes it 6 players as required). Then could I RFA 2 people not on this list?

15. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

As far as I understand it, since the 6 people you cut have to be on the top 10 list of offense and defense, you'd have to use it on one of those 20 possible candidates.

16. Big D

Big D Walk On

Damn. . .there's got to be SOME WAY for me not to spend all of eternity with f-ing Rob Bironas as my top paid player. ;) I signed him knowing the cap space I had this year. Now I can't even cut him without taking that massive cap hit. . .sheesh.

17. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

What did you sign him for? He'd only be a 15 point cap hit. ;)

18. Big D

Big D Walk On

15 points would still be my top paid player :) However I signed him for 21. . .

If I work out an offseason trade, he would only then be a 6 point cap hit for me correct? (21-15=6)

19. natedawg212000

hum, you know i never thought about someone trying that. i guess its your tag so you can use it how you want and on who you want.

20. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I would say that if a K or P falls within the top 10 of your team's best players (K would have to be in top 10 of offense, P would have to be in top 10 of defense), then you could use a RFA on that player. Otherwise no.

If I'm way off base stop me now.

To answer your trade question, Dunlap, yes that is correct. You would get a 6 point cap hit for year 2, and the person getting him would pay 15. Unless his overall value drops, in which case your hit would go up and the person getting him would pay his overall value. Make sense?

21. sammymitchell25

sammymitchell25 Walk On

lets go draft, top 5 pick

22. natedawg212000

what we will do is k and p don't count towards your averages, and they don't count towards the players you must drop (the 6), but the tags are yours to be used as is.

23. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

Why did you think i cut him and signed a 64 rated kicker.... i had to deal with it now you do. You lucked out by having special teams not included in this(i think it should, they arnt discounted in anyway in our cap numbers so why should they not be included in the offseason) and now your tryin to get out of a possible big cap penalty. You signed him my friend, now you shall reap the big hit its gonna cost you this offseason. Gotta wait till next offseason to drop him without a penalty. i think.

24. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

25. savaunte

savaunte Oakland Raiders

I agree with bigox on this issue....I think nate and the RC guys need to discuss this issue some more.....