OMFL Power Rankings?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by natedawg212000, Oct 8, 2009.

1. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

OMFL Power Rankings?

Winuvas
    I listen to football podcasts, specifically Football Today. I really enjoy Tuesdays when the host, Jeremy Green, does a power rankings segment he calls the "Green Elevator".

If owners wouldn't mind, and we get a decent amount of highlights and summaries of games, I would like to do a power ranking setup like that once a week.

If I did do that, though, I would go ahead and state that it would be objective and there would be no bashing of owners in the rankings.

Let me know what you all would think, even if you think it is a dumb idea.

---
    Nate
    dude thats awesome.

---
    winuvas
    Figured I might as well put my halfway college degree in broadcast journalism to use. lol

If a majority of owners back the idea though I will start after week 1 with official ratings. I'll put up a vanilla preseason power ranking based on draft order if people are interested.

---
    saintsdave
    I like the idea; just don't slam me too hard when I suck. I'm still figuring Madden out, as I haven't played it since literally it was on Nintendo 64

---
    cade
    greAT idea bro...looking foreward to this

---
    nate
    Bobby, there is a way we could host a radio show with live callers all through your laptop and a mic. there are programs that would record it and we could find a place to host it and post it for those who couldn't join in to listen. Sunday's are pretty laid back for me and I could co-host with you. We've done this before in another league I was in and had a great time with it.

---
    winuvas
    If people do a lot of highlights of games, we could even comment on plays on the field as well. But I wouldn't mind doing a podcast style of show if we could get the stuff together.

---
    Nate
    do some research and see what you can find. we could do this man!

2. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

So far all that I have found about podcasting for inexpensive (AKA free) is solo action. I don't know of anything I can think of that could process a radio show like what you talk about. However, what I could do is post an agenda a day before I record on the forums, and then if anyone wants to "email" a question I could read it and add it to the agenda.

If anyone has any ideas about possible programs we could get access to or items we can use to do a more traditional, radio type broadcast, I would be game. If there were a program to record Skype from multiple sources while we are all online, that would be ideal since Skype is free.

Program found: Audacity was highly recommended by online folks for newbies to use doing podcasts. I could get a decent mic for cheap since I work at Best Buy.

I'm open to suggestions. Everything I have found is free and usable but not designed for a computer that isn't set up specifically to do audio broadcasting.

3. natedawg212000

I remember us finding a program online where people can download and they log into a server. that is how we 'hosted' a program and then there is another program that will record ALL audio that comes through your laptop. So while you are hosting the show you record. At the end you take that file and host it.

4. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I know of a free program that can host a multitude of players called Mumble. My online RPG game I play uses it and it works okay. Since I haven't fiddled with the program by itself much, I am not sure if you could record audio from it using Audacity, but I could tinker a bit this weekend perhaps.

5. natedawg212000

Ya, let me know what you find. I'll try and do some research too

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Also, if Audacity would be able to record the audio from a mass login setup like Mumble, we could save the file as an .mp3 and place it on the forum as an attachment for people to download and listen to.

7. natedawg212000

that was the idea i was shooting for bob!

8. Mags

Mags Former MEGA PC Commish

We used HotRecorder for Skype when we did our radio show... Free Skype conferencing + recording = perfect!

9. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

I think this in one the the xbox leagues i like, see who is moving up and down

10. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Cool I'll check out Hot Recorder and see if we can't get that to work. Thanks!

11. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I found a program that will work as well as HotRecorder, called easyvoiprecorder. Both cost, but easyvoiprecorder seems to be easier to use, work as well, and be 5 bucks lower cost to register (15 bucks). Both work with Skype; however, the only problem is that Skype at max can do a 24 person conference call. My math is bad, but we have 32 teams in the NFL...so not everyone would be able to be on the "show".

However, I do have an interesting idea: Perhaps each week, for those that want to participate, we could do a "hot seat" or "coach one-on-one" segment with an owner in the league. This would be totally voluntary, but we could email/PM questions that would be asked so it would be able to be prepared for by the coach in question.

Also, easyvoiprecorder would allow for output to .mp3 as well. If not I could download a converter and see if I could set up an RSS feed so people other than us could listen to it.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

12. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

This sounds like a really good idea hope it works out.

13. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I'll try and see if I can get Mumble to work, which would allow more than 24 people to participate. I am not sure if the program I have would do it, but I could check and see if there are programs to record Mumble chats that are out there.

If not, the Skype + EasyVOIPRecorder is the best option, but not free. At 15 bucks though, it's not a break the bank deal either.

14. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

If you need monetary support lemme know, i wipe my ass with 15 bucks and light my cubans with fifties..... Haha not really but if you need some $$$ ill send a couple bucks someones way.

15. natedawg212000

HaHaHa! thats funny bigox

16. Big D

Big D Walk On

Bump. . .

I have a broadcast journalism degree I might as well put to use. . .as well as 4 years in the sports broadcasting industry in the NW doing football and basketball play by plus and online webcasting.

Since I was recently laid off, I'd like to keep myself doing something like this to stay in 'shape'. Let me know if this is something we want to do and I'll see about putting it together.

17. mustang20241

mustang20241 Walk On

Maybe just possibly a write up on a thread? Have as many players as possible send one guy their rankings?

18. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

We're still sort of hammering out ideas, sdunlap, but if you have some expertise in doing a podcast like what we're thinking, I don't mind hearing about stuff we would need/use to do this.

I've looked at cheap alternatives, and found two that seem to work together. I just would need to test them.

Mumble (free open source mass chat program)
    +
    Audacity (reported easy to use VOIP recorder, free if I'm not mistaken and usable with Mumble)

Any experience with these programs?

19. antoine66

antoine66 Guest

i its a great idea to have power rankings.

20. natedawg212000

winuvas and sdunlap would be great host of a OMFL radio show and someone can do a power rankings write up. I will be starting my OMFL Hot Seat interviews here shortly also.