OMFL WEEKLY RULES REMINDER

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by natedawg212000, Nov 30, 2010.

1. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

Each week I will make a post just reminding the league as a whole about one certain rule that we have heard complaints about or issues about. Not calling anyone out - just a refresher to keep things clean.

2. natedawg212000

Week 1 & 2 - since we are in week 2, I'll post 2 reminders:

Offensive Play Calling Guidelines
    • Unrealistic quarterback scrambling/sprinting on pass plays, including sideline to sideline dancing to get players open, is not allowed. Once the quarterback is outside the hashmarks (outside the numbers), the quarterback must throw the ball away or run with the ball. Throwing the ball outside the numbers to a receiver is a rules violation. Sprinting unnecessarily, as well as dropping back more than 10 yards on a pass play, is frowned upon by the league as well.

• Players in motion must be set before the offense can snap the ball (unless the play clock is expiring or automotion route call). Manually motioning players, as well as hot route usage, should be kept at a minimum.
    Watch what you do with those QB's guys, lets keep it clean and keep it realistic. Also the motion needs to be kept to a minimum. Watch those hot routes on O and D. I get why you will manually motion guys, but don't do it all game - find another technique.

And as always ...

10 – Rules Violations

It is an owner's responsibility to report a rules violation when it happens. Reporting a violation after the game will be ignored by league leadership unless proper channels during the game were taken. Games will not be replayed because of unreported violations. When a rules violation occurs (or if an owner thinks it has occurred), the game should be immediately paused and the matter should be confronted to by the violated party to the violating party. Both owners should consult the rulebook and correct the infraction in a sportsmanlike manner. If a board member is available on AIM, please consult them as well for rules clarification. Please notify the league ombudsman and president of your conference of any rule violations, even if it seems minor in nature.

Refer to our OMFL Structure document for proper channels in reporting rules violations.

11 – The Golden Rule – Quitting Games

The golden rule of the OMFL revolves around quitting games. A game that is quit is viewed as the gravest of rules violations, and is grounds for immediate expulsion from the league. Nothing except the extremest of emergencies will excuse quitting a game. No matter the circumstances in game (cheating, cheesing, bad game), quitting is never allowed. This is the biggest way to disrespect a fellow owner, and as such, it holds the stiffest of penalties.

So in truth its 4 reminders, but the bottom 2 will be every week so that you know the 2 most important things that we have here.

3. Big D

Big D Walk On

This is a very good idea Nate.

4. mustang20241

mustang20241 Walk On

this week's edition was directed at you dunlap

5. Big D

Big D Walk On

I know it. I suck.

6. natedawg212000

This week we are going to remind you guys about our playcalling rules:

4 – Play Calling

The OMFL prides itself on having some of the most “sim-like” owners and play callers on the internet. Whether calling plays on offense or defense, owners are expected to mix up play calling and use different formations, plays, and audibles/hot routes each snap. A good coach can utilize many different formations and plays to confuse his opponent, and the OMFL expects this type of engagement.
    Defensive Play Calling Guidelines

On defense, the following guidelines should be observed:
    • Three defenders must rush the quarterback on every down.
    • Blitzing is allowed; however, please use realistic blitzes and refrain from AI manipulation (example: spreading the defensive line, then shifting linebackers to create exploit areas).
    • Man and zone should be a decent mix.
    • Cover 4 defense should be used in realistic situations (3-4 wide receiver sets with 10+ yards to go).
    • A team should be in a “base defense” a majority of the time. A “base defense”, for OMFL purposes, is the 4-3, 3-4, or 4-4 defense.
    • Match-up” defenses should be used in appropriate situations. “Match-up” defenses are the 2-4-5, the 3-3-5, nickel, dime, dollar, and the 4-6 defense. See DBs guidelines for appropriate situations if unsure.
    • A team should only have 1 more defensive back on the field than receivers on the field for realism purposes. If a team has 2 wide receivers, then a team can use nickel and any subset formations of 5 DBs. If 3 wide receivers are on the field, then a team can use nickel, dollar, or dime. Defenses such as the 4-6, 4-3, and 3-4 should not be used against 4 wide receiver sets unless down/distance suggest it (short yardage, goal line).
    • 1-5-5 is BANNED by the OMFL. Anyone using it is violating rules and should be reported as such.
    Offensive Play Calling Guidelines

The OMFL has guidelines in place for the offense as well. They are as follows:
    • For both passing heavy and running heavy percentages, the totals should be around 70/30 (70% pass/30% run OR 70% run/30% pass). These guidelines will depend on game situations (teams behind will throw more, teams ahead will run more), but is a more than fair guideline.
    • A team may not pass more than 50% to the HB and FB combined (guideline, within 1 of 50% is allowed).
    • Unrealistic quarterback scrambling/sprinting on pass plays, including sideline to sideline dancing to get players open, is not allowed. Once the quarterback is outside the hashmarks (outside the numbers), the quarterback must throw the ball away or run with the ball. Throwing the ball outside the numbers to a receiver is a rules violation. Sprinting unnecessarily, as well as dropping back more than 10 yards on a pass play, is frowned upon by the league as well.
    • Wildcat is limited to no more than 4 times per game. It cannot be run on back-to-back plays.
    • WR/HB screens are limited to no more than 4 times per game. It cannot be run on back-to-back plays.
    • Players in motion must be set before the offense can snap the ball (unless the play clock is expiring or automotion route call). Manually motioning players, as well as hot route usage, should be kept at a minimum.
    • Jetpacking” with the wide receiver is frowned upon as well. “Jetpacking” is the method by which a player gains control of the receiver after the pass is in the air, bumping and sprinting to the ball to deliberately confuse AI defenders.
    And as always ...

10 – Rules Violations

It is an owner's responsibility to report a rules violation when it happens. Reporting a violation after the game will be ignored by league leadership unless proper channels during the game were taken. Games will not be replayed because of unreported violations. When a rules violation occurs (or if an owner thinks it has occurred), the game should be immediately paused and the matter should be confronted to by the violated party to the violating party. Both owners should consult the rulebook and correct the infraction in a sportsmanlike manner. If a board member is available on AIM, please consult them as well for rules clarification. Please notify the league ombudsman and president of your conference of any rule violations, even if it seems minor in nature.

Refer to our OMFL Structure document for proper channels in reporting rules violations.

The golden rule of the OMFL revolves around quitting games. A game that is quit is viewed as the gravest of rules violations, and is grounds for immediate expulsion from the league. Nothing except the extremest of emergencies will excuse quitting a game. No matter the circumstances in game (cheating, cheesing, bad game), quitting is never allowed. This is the biggest way to disrespect a fellow owner, and as such, it holds the stiffest of penalties.

So in truth its 4 reminders, but the bottom 2 will be every week so that you know the 2 most important things that we have here.

7. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

The jetpacking thing really doesnt apply anymore imo, i havent seen a jetpacker since madden 10

8. natedawg212000

I wish I could say the same, I've seen it done in the OMFL as recent as last year.

9. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

really, hmmmmmmm, maybe our definitions are a bit different, what you describe in the rules is just ok with me as long as you are not intentional bumping into the DB. What i call Jetpacking, is purposely throwing a deep lob, outrunning the pass and then manually turn the WR and come back to the ball with a cheesy 10 foot jump for the catch. I dunno, maybe im way off.

10. mustang20241

mustang20241 Walk On

gaddy jetpacked with moss, im sure hes doing it in DC

11. natedawg212000

Thats exactly what I mean and I've seen it done. Not like the old PC days but the old lob pass on deep routes that was monster in 2k1, is back in this mode.

12. natedawg212000

1) Our scheduling procedure - AGAIN! Guys got lazy with it this past week and need a reminder that just scheduling on AIM doesn't cut it. We need to see communications in the forums to keep track of the week. Here's a link to the thread:

http://forums.traditionsportsonline.com/threads/mandatory-omfl-game-scheduling-procedure.39486/

2) XFN as our primary site for team news and game recaps. I think we are all on board that XFN is the preferred site for that type of stuff and we just spent $50 on a donation. Per the developer, our site (TF) is the top referrer to XFN and the more we can use it, the better our league looks to others browsing our NFL.com site.

Initial announcement:

http://forums.traditionsportsonline.com/threads/attention-please-post-recaps-on-the-xfn-site.41179/

And as always ...

10 – Rules Violations

13. Coach KO

Coach KO Walk On

OMFL Game Scheduling Procedure

Each week, it is the responsibility of the owners to create a thread in the Game Time forum to schedule the game with your opponent. This is where ALL communication should be recorded in terms of scheduling games. Conversations on AIM, PSN and text are great, but DO NOT REPLACE the need to communicate via the forums. The scheduling post is the ONLY place where the board can verify that games are being scheduled correctly and pass judgement on whether subs are needed or games should be simulated.

Schedule Post Requirements

• A thread for each game with a response from both owners MUST be posted within 48 hours of the weekly advance. Failure to do this WILL result in a straight sim (if no post at all) or a mandatory sub (if only one owner posts) being assigned by the board.
    • The title of the post should be: Week X: Team A vs. Team B
    • In the body of the post, you MUST use the TF tagging system to send an alert to your opponent (i.e. - @BadaBing319 will send me an alert which will be called out on the forums in the upper right-hand corner when I next log on).
    • List your availability for all four days of the OMFL week. Just saying "when do you want to play" or "hit me up on AIM" doesn't accomplish much in terms of figuring out a compatible time to play.
    • Be sure to call out which time zone you are in so there is no confusion.
    Sample Scheduling Post

Week 1: Broncos @ Lions

@Winuvas - We are up this week. Here's what my schedule looks like:

Monday - available from 8:00 pm - 11:00 pm pacific time
    Tuesday - not available
    Wednesday - available all day until 10:00 pm pacific time
    Thursday - available from 5:00 pm until midnight pacific time

Reply with a time that works for you...​
    NOTE: When a time is agreed upon, please post that in the game scheduling thread as well. This way, if someone no-shows, we will have record that this time was agreed upon and handle the situation with the offending league member accordingly.

Failure to communicate in the game scheduling threads will be taken seriously. Consider this your warning. Violators of the scheduling policy will be disciplined by the league, with expulsion from the OMFL a possibility for repeat offenders.

14. natedawg212000

crap KO. I totally totally forgot about this! lol good catch.

15. natedawg212000

I will get back to these after this advance.