On Halloween, Spooky Boilers come to win in double OT

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, May 15, 2009.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

On Halloween, Spooky Boilers come to win in double OT

On Halloween, Spooky Boilers come back from 14-point deficit in the fourth quarter to win in double OT

[​IMG]
    Robinson, the soul of the Purdue team, fires his fourth TD pass of the game, which won it.

October 31, 2015 - Beaver Stadium

Either way you look at this game - clutch performance by Purdue or somewhat of a collapse by Penn State - it was one of the most exciting games in Tradition 1 history.

Purdue jumped out to a 14-0 lead in the first and second quarters. A 12-play drive resulting in a touchdown opened the game for Purdue as Jonathan Campbell came back from an injury to score on a 2-yard run on that opening drive. Penn STate was forced to punt, then forced a punt by Purdue before cornerback Josh Morris intercepted Mark Fanene on a quick play action attempt to Jordan Carlson. Three plays later Anthony Robinson hooked up with Trenton Parham over the middle for a 20-yard touchdown pass. In my opinion, this play was lucky as the pass was further out in front than intended and the Penn State defender didn't high point the ball. Parham made a great play to go get it though.

Penn State came roaring back. Fanene found Carlson, who was open for a moment. Morris came over and got his hands near the ball but Carlson caught it and ran him over, then ran away from the stunned Purdue defense for a 66-yard score.

Penn State then began to really pester Purdue with pressure. Robinson was sacked on a drive that ultimately ended in a failed fourth down conversion attempt. It would have been a 46+ yard field goal with a 14-mph wind against us. Thought we could get it, and we didn't.

Fanene and Carlson again hooked up for a quick pass/long run as Carlson again broke a tackle. He is awesome and clearly stands out amongst a group of very fast Penn State receivers. He was tackled after a 55-yard gain, but Chris McFarland scored on an 8-yard run to tie the game at 14 apiece.

Next comes the play that really put me in a horrible mindset until the fourth quarter. We got a little play-action happy in that first half and on a play action pass attempt, we had the fullback WIDE OPEN in the flat. I pushed the wrong button and it went straight to the TE, who was easily covered by the Penn State strong safety Nick Ostrander, (what do you call your 3-3-5 SS's Jay, a "Lion?" and it was picked off. We were in a free fall. Juggs commented that they were watching me fall apart, and I was. Luckily Fanene returned the favor with a pretty bad interception (also on play action) to my outside linebacker Adam Coley.

We got the next drive off to a good start with the first half winding down. 9 yards, 8 yards, and 6 yards in succession by Jonathan Campbell. Stupidly, I went play action and guess what, Penn State had pressure right up the middle and Robinson fumbled. It was scooped up by a defensive tackle and returned for the score just before halftime. Things looked bleak. Understatement. 21-14, Penn State after trailing us 14-0 early in the second quarter.

We started the second half off with a nice stop but Robinson was still in the gift-giving mood. On third and long, he went deep and free safety Jason Campbell just made a great play. It was basically like a long punt though. Not as damaging as the fumble. Penn State hit on a 56-yard pass to the TE as multiple Boilermakers went for the big hit and missed completely. We were in a world of hurt as they scored to make it 28-14. We had a promising drive before the end of the third quarter but could muster only a field goal, 28-17.

Penn State opened the fourth quarter with a field goal as Purdue allowed two big plays but had an important stand, stuffing the Lions at the goal line. 31-17 Penn STate.

We were forced to punt with 6:25 to go, down by two touchdowns and it looked bleak. But we were able to tackle Fanene short of a first down on a scramble, then stopped McFarland for fourth and inches and forced another punt. We moved the ball down the field and the key play of the drive was some stick jockey action by the Boilers as I made a pretty bad read and threw to J. Campbell who was covered. Campbell user sticked in front and jumped for the pass, which otherwise is an INT. Robinson made his finest throw of the day, a 35-yard bullet right down the seam to Trenton Parham, who caught it a the 1-yard line. Campbell punched it in on the next play and we were down by a touchdown, 31-24.

On the next play we kicked it out of bounds, giving Penn State excellent field position. However, on third down Fanene went for the jugular and just heaved one deep. Morris was in perfect position in the end zone as the Penn State player lost track of the ball, but he couldn't haul in the INT as the pass skipped away. Penn State had to punt again with 2:12 left to play.

Campbell ran four times in a row and picked up two first downs. On first and ten Robinson was sacked for the fourth time in the game and lost 10 yards. The next play he bounced back with a 30-yard completion to T.J. Freeman, then hit Freeman again for a quick 10-yard gain but made an awful decision on the next play, throwing a screen. Not one screen was open all day, the PSU defense is too smart, and it was a 6-yard loss. But after a nice completion on the next play, Penn State was called for a facemask as JMS tried to strip the ball just about every play the entire game.

The next play Robinson threw a dart between two defenders for the tying score, 31-31.

Thanks to a 14-mph wind against us Penn State had great field position to go for the kill even though there were only 14 seconds left in the game. We held them to a 9-yard gain and then SS Fred Green intercepted Fanene in the end zone. I thought he was gonna return it for a touchdown but he was tracked down.

In overtime Penn State won the toss (again) and elected to let us start with the ball (again). We threw a short pass and ran it four times before Robinson found Ex-Lion TE J. Briggs for a 7-yard touchdown. Penn State came back and scored easily, tying the game at 38-38, the big play being a 17-yard run by McFarland to the 1-yard line.

We played decent defense on the ensuing possession but McFarland still cranked out an 11-yard gain (killed us!). Third and goal, and Fanene dropped back and started running up the middle. Senior defensive tackle David Rogers made the play of his career, spinning off his block and nailing Fanene for a 1-yard loss (sack) and forcing the field goal.

Campbell ran twice for 7 yards before Robinson found Parham for a 5-yard gain to convert. Campbell ran twice and got nowhere. Penn State dropped back into a cover 2, Robinson saw it, and threw the dagger, a 13-yard pass in the back of the end zone to freshman sensation Travis Campbell to win the game.

[​IMG]
    Penn State defenders are in shock as Travis Campbell celebrates following the game winner.

2. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

simply an amazing game to watch. great comeback by helli, who for awhile looked dead in the water. both guys deserved to win.

3. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

good shit Helli

I know jms was pissed he blew the game cause I saw him on the UFC demo immediately after....probably was imagining that he was breaking your face lol

4. VaSteelah

VaSteelah Swollen Member

I was thinkin the same thing, except I saw him on COD,lol.

5. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

lmao he went from stomping Helli to shooting him

6. jfosh

jfosh Super

Was a great game..

7. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

This is great though....I'm enjoying seeing all the top teams knock each other off.....now UCLA needs to lose next

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

multi-quote time!

Yeah he really deserved that one, had a good game plan and he overcame a couple of stupid reads early on.. We each caught some breaks but Penn State forced mistakes defensively especially in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. All I know is we are becoming a team that is annoyingly hard to put away.

Yeah I figured that, when I saw him on COD I figured he just needed to "kill" something figuratively speaking.

Yeah I was messaging him trying to get him to talk just to make sure he wasn't gonna try and come kill me in San Diego.

lol

At one point Mike said "helli is going crazy right now" or something like that.

and I WAS. HOLY SHIT, I was throwing my hat on the ground, picking it up, throwing it again, my wife came and slammed the door to my gaming room so she didn't have to hear me going crazy...

UCF is gonna be 2nd and I think there is another unbeaten cpu team further down the list, they will rise up if they don't get beaten. But of the 1-loss teams, it's either gonna be TAMU or either you/Michigan that has the best shot. I don't mean to discount UCLA's chances, it's just that they still have the end-of-the-year Pac-10 meat grinder to traverse....

9. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

gotdammit, I forgot that the cpu has some unbeaten teams in the mix.....sigh

10. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Well... UCF plays Penn State at the end of the year. Last night he messaged me and said that he has to give the file back to me due to the fact that he's gonna be gone, so I'm hoping that's not for the UCF game... But they probably won't beat Penn State even in a sim. The problem might be the other unbeaten CPU team (fosh would remember) and I'm not sure if that team faces a user team this season. They could jump the 1-loss teams at some point.

But yeah, you and Bruce play each other, and you still have TAMU on the schedule, that will be a HUGE game for you guys. I'll be watching.

11. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

Yeah, it always comes down to me and the sheriff in the Big 12.....more is on the line this year though, as you stated

12. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wNoP8C0Fcg8&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wNoP8C0Fcg8&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

13. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

14. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Awesome, thanks Jay

I watched it in HD from work. Good quality!

15. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

only way to watch it....