On the Clock - Season 1

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by I Peench, Sep 25, 2013.

1. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Welcome to the first episode of On the Clock! Tonight, we're joined by NFL Draft guru Mike Mayock for his top 5 Franchise changing prospects.

[​IMG]

Good evening, folks. Here is my list of the five players I believe can turn an entire franchise around immediately. These are prospects you build your offense or defense around, and I expect them all to hear their names called on Thursday night come May.

QB Dane Honani.JPG
    Honani pic.JPG

We'll start with the obvious, QB Dane Honani from CMU. Honani has an absolute cannon for an arm and is capable of making every NFL throw. The Jr signal caller completed an astounding 76% of his passes last year for 29 TDs and 9 INTs. Though some scouts are critical of his decision making ability, his elite arm strength and accuracy have most general managers drooling. He's sneaky athletic and shows a tremendous ability to break out of sacks.

NFL Comparison: Matthew Stafford. Like Stafford, he has + arm strength and accuracy, and has a surprising amount of athleticism. Though nobody questions either talent, decision making is inconsistent at times.

DT Trajuan Bray.JPG
    Bray pic.JPG
    Bray is perhaps the biggest risk/reward player I'll mention this evening. His burst is unmatched, as is his upside. As a Jr., Bray recorded a conference best 11 TFL, showing elite explosion and penetration ability. Bray does, however, struggle to get leverage and lacks the strength to be consistently effective against double teams.

NFL Comparison: Gerald McCoy. I haven't seen a player with this type of athleticism at the position since McCoy, but consistency and strengths are major concerns.

HB Santez Etuk.JPG
    Etuk pic1.JPG
    Speed. Speed. Speed. Etuk is a home-run threat, whose ability to make a play anywhere on the field is unquestioned. After tearing his ACL in his Jr year, Etuk was forced back to prove he's effectively rehabilitated his leg. Etuk has done just that, as he currently leads the NCAA in yards from scrimmage and total touchdowns. Not only is Etuk a fantastic running back, but he's as talented catching the ball out of the backfield as I've seen in some time. The only question marks concerning Etuk are about his knee, and how explosive he'll remain as he racks up more mileage on it.

NFL Comparison: Ladanian Tomlinson. Like LT, he can beat you on the ground and through the air, and is the kind of weapon that needs to be accounted for every snap.

LT Boris Kozlov.JPG
    Kozlov pic.JPG
    The Chechnian left his troubled country for the United States of Awesome at age 17, and shortly thereafter accepted a wrestling scholarship at the University of Washington. It didn't take long before football coach Steve Sarkisian recognized the mountain of a man, and convinced him to test his talents on the football field. It became abundantly apparent that this boy was built for the game of football, as his strength and balance he acquired from wrestling made him an elite run blocking talent. Though he's still very raw, the upside is immense. I still believe he'll be a plug and play LT from day one, and the cornerstone of whatever NFL franchise is lucky enough to draft him. The only concern some have raised is whether or not he's more of a guard, which could hurt his stock. I don't see it that way, but we'll have to wait and find out what's in store for the Chechnian.

NFL Comparison: Jason Peters. Like Peters, Kozlove has a rare combination of strength and balance.

SS Delancy Dandy.JPG
    Dandy pic.JPG
    Delency is indeed a dandy, and is hands down my favorite player to watch in this class, as his tape just jumps out at me. Dandy has ideal size and speed for the strong safety position, and has forced 15 turnovers in his 3 years in Morgantown. This Drake look-alike flies all over the field, using a unique blend of speed, size, and instincts to make plays all over the field. While nobody questions his talent, he has had some red flags thrown as far as his character is concerned. Dandy has been suspended twice, once for sexual assault charges that were later dropped.

NFL Comparison: Troy Polamalu. Size, speed, instincts...this kid has it all. Tory is the only other SS I've ever seen take over a game like Delency does. I truly feel like he's the type of player you build your defense around, and I don't often say that about safeties.

That's a warp for tonight! Stay tuned for more coverage as we inch closer to the NFL Combine and Senior Bowl.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 23
  2. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Awesome stuff, can't wait for more!

3. Cole Copeland

Cole Copeland Mr. Irrelevant

Very nice Peench! That DT looks tempting :sneaky:

4. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

If he looks like Drake I have to draft him

• Like Like x 1
  5. broth262

broth262 Dirty Terps

Featured Threads:
    A guy from Maryland in the top 10, probably explains the 4-0 start (y)

6. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

Is it too late for me to tank for the LT, HB or SS?

7. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

yes , but you can possibly have Andrew Whitworth :D

8. biggcoug65

biggcoug65 49er for Life

Even if it is, don't you want the highest draft position possible just in case one of them falls to you? ;)

9. Black Republican

Black Republican TMFL Commish -- **ISYMFS** --

Great work man, this would PHENOMENAL with NCAA draft classes!

10. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

The Young Guns
    Three young prospects to watch for in this years draft and next NFL season.

Ever year there are a handful of RS sophomore standout collegiate athletes that make the early jump to the pros. Some are electrifying from the get go, some sputter and fade away, and some just take a little polish before they eventually come around. While we can't predict which of the three categories the following athletes will fall under, we're going to give a closer look at some of the best younger talent in this draft class.

DE Antwan Bruton - Tennessee
    6'2 250, 20 years old

[​IMG]

Standing in at a chiseled 6'2, 250 pounds we have Tennessee defensive end Antwan Bruton. Bruton is the definition of a raw talent, but he does show great technique in his pass rushing. For as strong as he is, Bruton utilizes some quick pass rushing moves to get to the quarterback over just straight bull rushing. Bruton still needs to improve on the mental side of the game, but the work ethic and ability is certainly there. Many are tagging him as a top 5 talent in this years draft, and any 4-3 team would be lucky to have this man child chasing quarterbacks for them.

2012-13 stats: 56 tackls, 13.5 sacks, 22 TFL, 3 FF
    Prediction: Top 5 pick

CB Karrington Newsome - Colorado State
    6'0 184, 20 years old

[​IMG]

It isn't everyday the top player at their position is from Colorado State, but sure enough Newsome is that guy. Displaying ample athleticism for the position, Newsome combines both great instincts and superior man to man coverage skills to completely shut down opposing receivers. While the competition in the Mountain West isn't always top flight for Newsome, he continues to go out and do his job week in and week out. The personality and work ethic of Newsome is often the first thing pointed out by CSU coaches when asked about their star corner. As cliche as it may sound, Karrington is always the first one into film, and last out. Without a doubt, this is one guy that will be ready for the challenge of the NFL from day one. On top of that, corners never last long in this league's drafts- look for him to go early.

2012-13 stats: 5 INT, 12 PDs, INT TD
    Prediction: Top 10 pick

TE Jibreel Banks - Duke
    6'4 264, 20 years old

[​IMG]

Jibreel is a young pass catching tight end that has made big strides the last 12 months in his blocking ability, and scouts are starting to notice. 2012, Banks' RS FR years, he was a fun player to watch in the passing game- but struggled against stronger, more experienced players in the run game. Now it is to the point where you will see him have his way with linebackers thanks to some great technique and huge strides in the weight room. Banks has gone from being a one dimensional receiving tight end, to looking more and more like an everydown type player at the NFL level. However, don't let all this blocking talk bore you, this kid can be a threat in the passing game. He is a good athlete for 260 pounds, and runs some really crisp routes at times. I have no doubt someone will take a flyer on his pass catching ability, so he will get drafted before too long. I have a feeling he falls a bit before getting picked, but he will make a team very happy the snatched him up.

2012-13 stats: 56 catches, 685 yards, 7 TDs
    Prediction: Early second round

• Like Like x 7