One mistake proves costly in VT/GT game

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Mogriffjr, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    One mistake proves costly in VT/GT game

In what was a very exciting game, it all came down to the final quarter of play. VaTech and GaTech were deadlocked in a battle of offenses in which resulted in a total of 91 points in the game.

There were 11 touchdowns...ON THE GROUND, which is surprising since both teams are well known for their aerial assaults. Georgia Tech specifically, was surprised and caught off guard with VaTech's run game. "There were beating us to the spot all game," said Coach Moreecemos.

VaTech's SR-RB Nubian Peak was the offense in the game. They caught GT off guard over-pursuing and looking to stop VT's passing game and it hurt them. Peak would run through, around and past GT defenders. He would single-handedly put VT up 21-7 with runs of 3 yards, 82 yards and 13, all for TD's. GT would respond with a Drummond 6 yard scamper to put it at 21-14. But that man Peak, he was at the top of his game as he again would hit paydirt on the ground for a score. It was plain to see the gameplan was to surprise the GT defense with some Peak action, especially after starting QB Antone Exum was knocked out for 3 weeks with a . Up 28-14 with just under 3 minutes to go, VT wanted to hold GT here to at least a FG and go up two scores going into halftime. GT had other plans as they executed a 2 minute drive which resulted in another Drummond TD run and it was 28-21 with under a minute to go.

GT made their 1st stop of the game, sacking backup QB Kyle Howard two times and forcing a punt with 24 seconds to go. GT was hoping to strike quickly before the half as they got solid field position at the 43 yard line but VT tightened their defense and held the fort with the score staying at 28-21.

GT went to work in the 3rd quarter, wanting to leave as little time as possibly for VT's offense to do their thing. GT took 2:32 off the clock to tie the game opening the 2nd half with a 11 yard pass from SR-QB Jordan Luallen to TE Thomas Snyder. But once again, that man Nubian Peak would have none of it. He would give VT the lead with 2:44 left with a 1 yard TD run. It was then that GT knew that they would have to score from here on out, while now shifting to contain Peak as well as the Wolverine, who at this time of the game was setting up VT scoring drives with his big plays in the passing game. By the time the 3rd quarter ended, 2012 heisman winner Orwin Smith would tie the game at 35 going into the 4th.

Almost immediately Peak would score his record 6th TD on the game, a 3 yard run, to give VT the lead again. GT by this time had somewhat slowed down the run game, due to GT's offense having the ball longer. "We need just one stop to win this game...they won't stop our offense," said coach during the 4th. GT would tie the game up with a 8 yard TD pass from Luallen to Garrett just a minute later.

The teams would trade punts and as the game's time kept dwindling down, so was the VT run game. They had to go to the air with their freshman QB, who was holding his own, not forcing passes and playing an excellent game due to injury. Unfortunately trouble struck for the Hokies. Howard would go deep to his 6'6" WR Jeff Ellis but he was double covered as he heaved the ball downfield. FS George Dunn had inside position in which the ball was headed and picked off the pass for the 1st and only turnover on the game. With 2:40 left in the game, GT's offense would drive down the field, forcing VT to use all of their timeouts during it and scoring with 1:20 to go via a Smith TD run for 7 yards out.

VT would desperately get down into GT territory and with seconds left on the clock, threw a halmary to DJ Coles (who was shutdown by GT CB Jermaine Bell) but Coles broke the wrong way and the pass was batted down by GT's SS Michael Banks and Bell to end the game.

GT- 49, VT- 42

2. jfosh

jfosh Super

Another thriller....dam i missed it with the early start.

3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Video highlights to come today.

I can't score every drive like you. The pressure was too much. That INT I throw was a good read (i thought)...he had a step but I did not know Howard would throw the ball 900 Feet high like that. It allowed enough time for your FS to sprint over and make the play.

4. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

The GT Pick....looks like Logan had beaten the LB deep on the right side....but I was locked on to Ellis.

View the INT HERE

5. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

I caught the last part of this game. JMS played well enough to win and it could be argued that he should've come out on top. Tough break for the Hokies. GG guys.

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

VT is getting closer..... But still can't stop the Ga Tech offense. You're gonna have to get a stop to beat that man! :)

7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Banks was playing underneath Logan...essentially he was double covered...I called the perfect defense :) for once in that game.