Ongoing Adjustments

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

When we advance, we will be addressing some slider issues. I decided to err on the side of the players for now, so some of you might notice some things that come pretty easy. You may not, but after playing this set a bit, I think some guys might have a chance to put up some pretty big numbers this week. If I'm right, I'd like to ask for some restraint, and a couple of opinions, so we can tweak in small ways for the next couple of weeks, in order to get things in line with the experience we want to have.

It's possible that the set we'll have in place after the advance will be tough enough, but just in case, I thought I'd let you guys know that we're not necessarily done adjusting. We should be pretty close, though, at least within a couple of five point bumps. That's my guess, at least.

Thanks in advance for you patience, and your input,

AG

2. thatguy188

thatguy188 You know ... THAT guy.

Will let you know tomorrow night when I play my game.

3. bdub

bdub Walk On

I thought you were going to sim my game or let me play it again?

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Oh crap. I can't believe I forgot to do that.

That is completely and totally my bad. I knew I forgot to do something.

I'll find a way to make it up to you. Not sure how, but I'll find a way.

5. bdub

bdub Walk On

No worries man its just a game and I probably would have lost again anyways.

6. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

After several test runs, I'm liking this set. I could see a few adjustments here and there, but I want to see what kinds of stats we put up.

I think passing is noticeably more risky - if you gun one downfield and get an overthrow, it's probably coming back at you. Before, even when we missed, the CPU typically dropped the pick. This should encourage shorter, safer throws, which is what most teams actually do.

My guess is that the run stats might elevate a bit, so I'll be looking at those stats closely. But I'll also want opinions on the passing game, since that was the source of the bigger stat issues last season.

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Just highlighting that part because I thought we might end up with some elevated scores. Yet we also had some losses. I'm not sure I know what to do, since the differences are so great from one game to the next. Could it be that the CPU teams at the lowest levels are just like FCS games after a few seasons, or is there that great a difference in skill level around here? Seems to me that we all knock each other around, so I don't think it's a skill-level thing, or at least not in a big way. It might just be a matter of restraining ourselves against bottom shelf teams, or scheduling more tough games going forward to compensate for a diminishing CPU at the lower levels.

Thoughts?

8. thatguy188

Ok, im the first to admit my score was outragous and I scored 7 TDs in the 4th quarter. Now I didn't do it on purpose really because I only ran the ball in the 4th quarter, and, had 4 special team TDs. I probably could of handled it different a little bit and im sorry.

However, the outcome should of been what it has, seeing I played EMU, Imean honestly, who is EMU? lol.

My KR/PR is a 99 speed, so I was expecting big runs.

I like the sliders though. Even though EMU broke 1 tackle after another (they scored 1 TD where the dude broke a total of 7 tackles, lol.) but they either ran out of steam or what, but it was all me come 2nd quarter, so I am kind of torn myself.

I'd have to play a better team to give you and myself I guess a better understanding of it.

9. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I had a similar day, or could have. I started fair catching everything after the second TD on a punt return, and I dove out of bounds on a long run another time and kicked the FG on first down. We have to do these things sometimes. Simply running the ball is not permission to run it up. We'll need to do something, but I don't want that something to be an overreaction. I'll be playing with it throughout the day.

Here are my thoughts on the broken tackles - I'm trying to generate CPU first downs. If they can run the ball, they can run a bit of clock, and give us a real looking game in which we have to play some defense, rather than the repetitive 3 and out you get on default settings. Thing is, some of us get burned by long plays that look like the other guy is going to win the Heisman by the end of the game. Guys who get aggressive on the blitz tend to really get burned, and then they complain about the CPU cheatage. I think that we're going to get some WTF moments, but that we need a CPU that is a real threat, and this may be the trade-off we have to live with. Still, we can try to make it more realistic with each tweak. Maybe we'll find a better way to get yardage for the CPU.

10. thatguy188

I think we should leave the sliders alone at least for now. See how next week and the week after treat us after playing different teams.....

11. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

My Week 3 game had a "juiced up" feel to it, but now that it's several days later, my recollection is muddled and not worth sharing. I did just play BC (a rival) a short while ago, though, and really only had these two (related) "complaints":

1) The CPU/User QB discrepancy. I understand that my "gun-slinger" has 74 accuracy, but the over-throws I endure on short routes each week are laughable. I saved two as highlights in this one, but could have posted more. Meanwhile, BC's 77 OVR QB completed countless bombs with only 83 throwing power.

2) Has anyone else noticed that CPU meshes or crosses are almost always wide open? I've managed to prevent "Robo QB" by securing the middle with my safety, but this has often left me susceptible over the top (back to #1).

My team's young and largely average, so that could be a large part of it. I have a freshman QB with 78 accuracy who's red-shirting. Anyone think that the 4 point advantage would yield better results in the passing game?

12. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I have trouble on crossing routes and any out route from the slot. The receivers always seem to break open. I believe this is most closely tied to the defender's awareness stats, so if they're young, they're going to misread routes a lot more.

As for the accuracy, 74 is not a C grade (as in average) but is rather a really low grade. He's going to miss, and miss a lot. Now, even a 74 should connect sometimes, but again, if his awareness is low, he stands an even better chance of spraying the ball around. In Qb's, the awareness stat is what makes a bad throw that should get picked go over the top or out of bounds rather than to the defense. A high awareness rating makes a pick an incompletion, while a low one does the reverse.

While both of these issues could be happening more than they should, they are both tied to skills that your guys don't seem to have in abundance. While perhaps they are a bigger problem than they should be, at least they seem to be the right kinds of problems.

13. egofailure

In other words, my QB sucks and should make sure he graduates with his diploma? ;-)

14. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

That, or he'll be bagging groceries.

15. bdub

bdub Walk On

I haven't had to much trouble with the CPU on crossing routes, but I do notice the CPU QB never throws a bad pass, if a pass is going to be incomplete its because someone on my D breaks it up.

BC is a real bitch in this game, no matter how much better you are they always find a way to make a game out of it.

16. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Okay I just played my first game against these new sliders. I felt the overall "feel" of the game was good. I particularly enjoyed the realism in the cpu run game. Their offensive line blocked well against the pressures I sent at them and if they walled it off, like they did several times, the runningback found room to bounce the play outside. I liked this effect and it caused me to alter some playcalling. In the pass game I felt like it was pretty good. I had to read their defense and make the throws. They loaded the box on me alot and jammed up my outside receivers so my slot man had a huge day running corner routes and flat routes. But again it wasn't a gimme because of poor AI, it was them daring me to throw the ball.

Now I didn't find this game a bed of roses either. I was not happy with the CPU defensive line. There were several times I had a simple Iso, or a stretch play on and couldn't get the handoff to take place because of the dline blowing everything up inside. These weren't jump the snap issues, these were Suh plays.

The second thing I didn't particularly enjoy was the crazy penalties that seemed to get called down on the goal line everytime I ventured into the red zone. It felt cheap and contrived, like the cpu was trying to say "you aren't scoring here no matter what you do".

Overall I liked this set but I would like to see somethings tweaked.

17. egofailure

Easy, I agree about the CPU's running game. I dig it.

18. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

To clarify this statement. It happened more than a several times. I actually had them in my backfield most of the game and found the only way to run effectively was with a fullback or something that got to the perimeter instantly.

19. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I do think this set makes it harder to run from the single back sets. The FB usually picks up the d-lineman though, and a quick cut keeps the play alive. Still, I think there are too many instances of guys splitting the double team on those single back run plays.

The run settings are the same as last year. Only the pass rush/pass block settings have changed, and I thought they did so in our favor. It looks like the numbers are there, though.

20. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Is this something we are looking to adjust? Or is it just going to stay in place? Not having the single back runs is going to kill my playbook.

21. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Not quite sure what to do, actually. The settings are pretty much the same as last year, with a slight advantage to us in the pass rush/pass block split. And we're still putting up good numbers. I'll goof around with the settings a bit offline, and see what I can work out.

22. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Well it could just be that Georgia was a beast on their dline. I have a pretty good offensive line so it surprised me a bit to see them dominate like they did.

23. bdub

bdub Walk On

Haven't had to much trouble running the ball. However, I don't normally run out of single back sets so that probably makes the difference. Honestly I think these are the best sliders that we have ever had.

24. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Well I played Mississippi State last night it was a nightmare. I won easily, in fact I had to call off the dogs. But I couldn't run the ball again in this one. You can take a peak at my stats and you will see I had a tough go of it against a sub-par defense for SEC standards. I don't know what is different, is it my o-line? Or is it the game speed making things different? I don't know.

I also had to burn a redshirt in this game because 4 runningbacks were injured at the same time in this game. I lost Mr. Gore for 4 weeks with broken ribs, and the other guys were all knocked out for several quarters.

25. bdub

bdub Walk On

Seems like injuries are a bigger problem this year. Both my starting QB and HB are out for half the year with the same injury. Torn Pec.