Online Dynasty - User Quirks, Gametime Rituals, etc.

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by wildcatter78, Oct 2, 2009.

1. wildcatter78

wildcatter78 Walk On

Online Dynasty - User Quirks, Gametime Rituals, etc.

Okay, I want to hear about everyone's quirks, gametime rituals, etc. when it comes to playing in an online dynasty. What are some of the things that you would hesitate to admit to a co-worker, friend or so-on?

2. wildcatter78

wildcatter78 Walk On

My first admission is that I purchase a Mead Notebook (5 subject) and separate it into defense, offense, recruiting, scouting & other. I stick it in my bag/briefcase and tend to travel with it to and from work. You never know when you are going to get that tip that needs to be written down!

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I have a little stuffed leprechaun with DatNDaz written on it in marker. I stick it with needles whenever I see him in a user game. :D

Actually, I have one for each of you.

4. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Great thread! I think Wildcatter would call that notebook his "Nerd Book"...I'm afraid I have one too. Not quite that big with dividers, etc. but I def. have a Steno Book, Gregg Ruled with 100 6"x9" pages...Just about anything from my dynasty(s) is in it. I keep track of OU's recruits in it and track my 1-7-70 in it, etc. I do like Wildcatter's better. I really do need to upsize and have dividers.

As for "rituals", my main thing is getting a glass of water next to me. I get thirsty as heck playing a user game.

I swear, when it's a user game, all of my blood rushes to my core which ends up with my hands and feet as cold as ice. Is this some kind of "fight or flight" thing?

I also scooch all the way to the front edge of my big lazy-boy type chair so I'm "on edge" the whole damn game. I was so focused last night playing Basis that I didn't even notice Bradford get knocked out of the game in the 4th and had Landry Jones lead an awesome game-tying drive where he was 10-10 passing. I had no clue. So focused on the play I called and executing it, I was oblivious. Shows you how good Jones is, I guess.

I also have a clipboard with play scripts, notes, etc. I keep around in case I need reminding of certain plays to call in certain situations, etc.

5. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Almost before every user game i do about 20-30 pull ups...............why....i really dont know....gets the blood pumping.

6. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

When I played AG in our bowl. When I stopped him on 4th and 3 in overtime I jumped up and shouted I see you Nigel Bradham, I see you! Then I proceeded to do the Tiger fist pump. TRUE STORY!

7. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

If I was a single man, I'd prefer to have some heavy metal blaring to set the mood, but I'm not and I'm usually playing late at night. So, no blaring heavy metal. I thought about using my iPhone or iPod but then I can't hear how loud I'm getting and might wake my daughter, or she might be waking up and I wouldn't hear, so, it's a no go.

Back in the days of Napster and all of it's greatness, we'd have the PS2 cranking, a 30 pack of Keystone Light in the fridge and would be jamming out, throwing them down and having a blast. Ahhhh, youth.

8. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I keep a 8.5x11" sheet of paper with my recruiting strategy each year. I also have a bit of an offensive play call sheet, but it's pretty weak so I haven't been using it. Been meaning to improve it. This week actually, I just started putting together a defensive call sheet. Didn't work so well against Jello though...

No pre-game rituals. I usually forget the water and I'm parched by the 2nd quarter. I do try to look at the other guy's stats and ratings. And I also try to run a few offensive practice plays just to warm up if I haven't played in a few days.

Great thread Wildcatter. Love that you carry a notebook like that with you.

9. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I look at stats and ratings before each game, and try to match my secondary up to cover your options the best that I can. I have various legal pads floating around my room at all times that contain recruiting strategy, game stats, and various notes that I don't want to forget. The problem with the notes is that I often forget which notebook I actually put them in :D

Also, I make sure I have my audibles set to begin the season for what offense I want to run. I like to adjust on the fly and audible a lot within the same set. For user games, I sometimes tweak my audibles based on what I think you will do, eg. cover 3 all game or man cover 2. That is pretty much the extent of my thinking. I am a more of a fly by the seat of your pants guy, and I love adjusting on the fly and playing the chess match.

10. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I try to not get embarrassed.

As far as keeping track of things, I am a geek so I have Excel spreadsheets full of stuff.

Also, I play with headphones on, so I can concentrate.:)

11. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

I jam Powerman 5000 or something heavy in with a cold one to get fired up.

12. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Powerman 5000? Are they still around or are you listening to old stuff? Isn't the lead guy the brother of Rob Zombie?

13. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Yea, I haven't listened to PM5000 since like '99.:)

14. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

I hate the new stuff. They went to more of a punk sound. I loved " When the Worlds Collide". That was the SHIT!

"Ultra-Mega" is a song to get fired up to as well as "Bombshell" Yes, Spider is Zombie's little bro. He decided to leave the World of Robots and demons behind because he felt it was a copy to his brother. Although Rob got him started and played rolls of Demons in a few videos