Open forum for you rushing attack experts

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by MorsDraconis, Oct 19, 2009.

1. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Open forum for you rushing attack experts

What the hell do you guys do to run the ball so well? I've been trying to improve my running game with my various teams and I can't seem to be consistent with it.

Are you guys running while holding speed burst?

Are you not using speed burst until you hit the hole?

Are you sliding the line in the same direction that you are running?

Are you sliding the line in the opposite direction?

Are you telling the line to be aggressive?

Any tips at all would be WONDERFUL.

2. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I agree, I did well running my first game with Texas, but since then it's been a real struggle. My line was awful against Air Force, which was a bad defensive team. I can pass at will on the CPU but can't consistently run unless I go straight triple option, which gets kind of dull.

Also, to reiterate a question I had in another thread, is the RB ability slider being bumped down to 40 the reason why I can't get any run longer than 15 yards with a RB (even when I get the corner I get run down by guys who are much slower).

3. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

I'm not sure if I'm going to change anything at all with the sliders. I haven't played my game against Washington yet so I don't know if it was just one of those weeks where the CPU decided to be a prick and make it hard, or if something is seriously wrong with the way I'm trying to run the ball. I seriously think there was a tweak somewhere that changed something because the game feels COMPLETELY different for me as USC with pretty much the same team.

4. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Sorry, I didn't mean to seem like I wanted the sliders changed, I only asked because (kind of like you said) the running game feels sluggish to me, much more so that in offl mid majors even.

I was only curious if anyone else noticed something similar or if its just me. I'm not good normally at running, so it will not be surprising if its just me.

5. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

I pride myself on not allowing the other team to get 100 yards rushing week in week out. It doesnt help when the teams get down against me either. I got that Pittsburgh Steel Curtain in me. I was highly disappointed in my team last week vs. BC as Montel Harris gashed the hell outta me!

6. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I'll tell you what I do. But take it for what its worth, I'm not the best player around.

The speed burst depends. I know you're not supposed to use it until you're either in the hole or past it while running inside, but if there's a heavy blitz or a blitz from the outside where I'm running that doesn't get picked up I tend to hit the burst just to salvage what I can from the play or the try to get the corner. If it's inside I really try hard not to hit burst until I'm through the hole. a) because it's easier to juke when you're not holding the trigger, and b) I read somewhere that the ai d line will disengange their blocks when you hit the trigger at the line and come for you. On outside runs I'm running for the corner bro as fast as humanly possible...I don't think that's right, but it's what I do.

The line adjustments I use.... how I use them ;) but I've also heard and it seems to work that the best thing to do is to use that to counter where a blitz is coming from, or a dline slant if you suspect one. I've tried doing the opposite way that you're running and it got me creamed the few times I went there.

7. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

First off, I dont consider myself an expert but I do usually have success running the ball so here goes. Firt Ill answer all your questions then try to add a little something of my own.
    1. Yes I do hold speed burst when I run hehe
    2. I use speed burst like 1/4 of a second after my HB touches the ball.
    3. sometimes. I change it to aggressive a lot
    4. sometimes if I have a Guard that is pulling and I think a blitzer could come through that hole
    5. yes I do that a lot

here are my tips.
    for a long time Ive wondered if this means anything, but I have always followed the QB's "route" on running plays. By that I mean if there is a red "route" for a QB to run I do it with the left thumbstick(no turbo). when my rb touches it I let the left stick go back to its natural spot, then try to push it in the exact direction of the RB's orange "route" on the pre-play (show play thing).(ive also not pressed anything until my RB gets the ball and had success.. just hard for me to stop as I have been doing it forever)pretty much Right after the RB gets the ball I press turbo(maybe after 1 step or so), if you do it right the RB gets this crazy speed burst. you will know by the camera. it almost looks like the camera cant keep up. after that it is all about reading blocks. Also, dont bounce everything outside. Most of my big runs come from following the play almost exactly. try to run through holes instead of always bouncing it outside.
    if you think there is going to be contact with DL or LBs use LB to cover ball and truck stick. after contact I keep pressing truck stick to try and fall forward. sometimes you will lose the ball trying to pick up more yards but its worth it. Also, after you have been wrapped up but arent down you can juke, truck stick, stiff arm, or spin move to get out of a tackle (check your stats and see which is highest rated for you back... use that).

after the first level I almost never take my finger off turbo. I try to take on DBs at an angle and use truck stick to try and bounce 'em off me.

as far as the line and blocking... If I read blitz I shift line toward the blitz. If I have multiple TEs on the field I almost always shift to aggressive or shift toward the side im running to. also, if a LB is lined up outside my TE i will hot route him to block left or block right. I like to run with multiple blockers.

you have 5 OL. Someone running a base defense usually has 7 in the box. if you can even that number, or get an advantage running will become easier. there are lots of ways to do this. you can use multiple TEs and a FB like I do to start off the game. you can spread teams out to get a mismatch. if a team is running man coverage, spread them out with 4WRs and you get a 5 on 5 situation... run it up the gut here until they stack the box allowing you to pass or go outside with your run.

Also, be sure to mix up your run calls. there are enough run plays in each formation to be able to run what you want at all times and not have to run the same thing over and over again.

try running "Power O" plays and watch the guard. if he pulls all the way outside follow him and you should get a nice gain. if the G stops pulling and picks up a block its usually time for you to make a cut upfield or bounce it outside.

anyway, dont take this as a bible on running the ball or anything. if you want, I can play you and talk you through how I run the ball and show you how I do it against CPU.

good luck in the run game guys!

8. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

someone stole your name bro. Did you see that?

9. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Sigh... yes I think there is one on OS too. ( im Maxattax3 on there)

I used to go by "MaxATX" online, but everyone on the mic kept reading it as "Max-Attacks" and it just stuck. So i threw in an extra "T and A" (giggity) and voila! Maxattax was born.

Ill take it as a compliment.

Maxattax... often imitated, never duplicated.