Open Letter to the League

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Subkontraktor, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Subkontraktor

Subkontraktor Plays with Knives.

Open Letter to the League

Commish Keller, don't take this the wrong way. I'm really enjoying this league and this post is only meant to help.

It seems like interest is waning in a few people in the league. I say this because there have been some players not available for their games and some people that keep bringing up getting more owners to fill up the league.

In the past, I've joined some "full" leagues where they supposedly had 32 owners participating. It seemed in those that with the exception of 1 or 2 leagues, it was hard to keep even half of the league interested for the full first season.

In the SMFL, with the work we all have to put in to keep our teams up to date, we shouldn't have any non-dedicated owners. For those of you worrying, keep in mind how fun the playoffs are going to be. Most of the playoff teams should be users. Then we'll have the fun of the draft followed by a new season with new hopes.

Currently this is my only league, as I wouldn't have the time to devote to any other league. I think this is the best one to be in because of the level of commitment.

Yesterday I posted in a couple forums looking for new members, and today I bumped our thread in the New Members forum. Maybe we'll get a couple more people during this season, maybe not. What I'm thinking though is that it doesn't really matter. To have 16-18 people that really care about the league would be just fine and dandy to me.

So keep your head up SMFL members. Do your part and work to help out our league. Some more game-recaps might help others stay interested. Maybe we should start a player of the week thread as well.

Looking forward to the playoffs and seasons to come,

-Derek Miller
    Kansas City Chiefs GM

2. roll2tide

roll2tide Walk On

I couldn't agree more. The fact is that league's will fold by the bunches over the next month or two and if we can just bring in a few guys here and there then we'll have mostly user games. Hang in there everyone.....the leagues that survive can snatch up good owners.

3. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Bottom line is I can't tell who's active and who isn't. I'm not the type of commish that is going to boot a user for not playing games against the CPU (I'm thinking about throwing my CPU games for a better pick myself.)

The only way I know if an owner is truly committed is if they're playing their PvP games. The only way I know if they are actively trying to schedule the games with their opponents is you guys. Don't feel like a bad person if you have to call someone out for not being around for their game. Life happens, I understand that, I'm never going to fault you for it. What I don't like is when people expect you to schedule a time to play and you've never even made the effort to say you won't be around.

I need you guys to keep me informed, one way or another, if an owner appears MIA. That way I can get it sorted out and you won't have to take a simulation.

Cool?

Hopefully I will have some time to continue my recruiting efforts today. Don't forget we have a new Colts owner.

4. Subkontraktor

Hey Commish... there's a guy who filled out a spreadsheet for the Denver Broncos too.

5. Keller

Its the same guy. He thought he wanted the Broncos but then switched. I don't mind, its another spreadsheet we have done :-D

6. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

That's actually not what happens.

What winds up happening is that the "good" guys that stuck it out in the league, don't want to pick up mid stride in your OF, and therefore do not want to join your league that already has 1-2 seasons completed.

Spent all last year in that frustrating mess. Had people claim they wanted a league that would last, I was sitting in my third season with 15 users last year, but yet then they want a new league with updated rosters. ***insert vulgarity tirade here*** I can't tell you how badly I hate people.

What you should focus on is making the best experience for those quality guys left. That way they stick around, then next year you can add to those quality guys (well with shit flakes attached, but you knock off the shit flakes and you're good), and if you're lucky maybe pick up a quality guy from now till Madden'12.

Of course still try to recruit, I was just putting in some lessons learned so that people don't get to frustrated, or surprised with the lack of progress getting people.

7. Subkontraktor

I was going through some stats yesterday, and speaking of throwing games..... who the heck is Robert You?

R. You really using him as your QB? I guess I shoulda looked at injuries, or is it just a developing player?

8. Keller

I don't know where he came from but he's the starting quarterback for the Buffalo Bills now. Hopefully he can develop into something because Trent Edwards simply is not the future of this franchise.

9. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

So it takes you a year to join me in hating Trent Edwards in this damn game!!!

BTW - Use the kid from Troy (Levi Brown), he actually is better then Trent, and has better potential.

10. stlmang

stlmang Walk On

no doubt intrest is definately falling, mainly due to 4-5 day weeks... i understand people have commitments but 1 hour isnt much... the pace of this is painful.

11. Keller

Levi needs time to develop on the bench. Edwards wasn't bad in Madden 10, honestly. Robert You has the reigns until I can find something better.

12. Keller

If you don't like the advance times, this is definitely the place the voice your opinion. Why dont you create a poll or something and see what everyone elses thoughts are on an advance schedule?

13. stryder24

stryder24 Walk On

I think 3 advances a week would be good, or at least 2, the Ten Year War one I am in, we are already in the playoffs. Its more a GM league though, still very cool, either we need to have things to pas the time between weeks (power rankings, Leaders, GOTW, etc) or speed up the process, esp since the trade deadline is upon us.

But I am back to 3-3! still got hosed one week, :)

14. Geiger52

Geiger52 Walk On

Yeah, it would be nice to speed it up a bit. It's a league where you are supposed to be building a great team, so an occasional sim here or there shouldn't kill you. I'm fairly busy, but squeezing in an hour every other day shouldn't be too hard...

15. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Robert You is a made up player along with Daniel Fritsch. Madden does it each year adding 2 guys in that are not real players in the NFL. (n)

16. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

they are the Make a Wish Foundation recipients