Opinions on New Big 12

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by GoGators, Jun 17, 2010.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Opinions on New Big 12

Wanted to state an opinion and see if anyone has thought of this and what their opinion is.

With Texas staying put in the Big 12, they've essentially taken the conference hostage. Texas, OU, and A&M are going to receive a larger percentage of the future TV revenues (reportedly $20M) while everyone else in the conference will likely get 3/4s of that. This is unlike the SEC where each school gets an even payout of TV revenue (approx $17M per school). The result of this will be that Texas, OU, and A&M will be able to increase the gap between their athletic programs and their competitors since they'll be able to afford much better facilities for the next decade or two than any of the other schools they compete against. As the saying goes, "the rich get richer".

The Big 12 has been weakened by this move. IMO this conference is going to lack competitiveness. College athletics are really not any different from pro sports in that the teams with the biggest budgets typically win. With this move, Texas has essentially become the New York Yankees of the BCS. How can anyone say that any Big 12 conference game not involving the 3 schools mentioned above competing against each other is fair when the Big 3 are taking a much bigger slice of the pie then their competitors?

I really don't think this move is at all good for college football as a whole. And behind closed doors, I think it's a HUGE reason why Colorado and Nebraska got out of the Big 12 while they had the chance. They didn't want to be Texas' indentured servants any longer.

Also, I'm a little curious about the inequalities of the Big 12 now. Since Texas, OU, and A&M will be making about $5M more per year than most of the schools they play, will they spot their opponents a TD or 2 to make up for the handicap?

***Nothing against Texas, this is a great/smart move for them. However, I think it's bad for everyone else in that conference. And I wouldn't be surprised at all to see more schools jump ship if the opportunity comes.

2. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    You are asking all the same questions everyone else is. It should be equal, but everyone is afraid that Texas will "take their ball and go home."

It should be equal profit sharing.

3. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

I agree gators not only the revenue but they(Texas vs OU winner) now have no Big 12 championship game to worry about they essentially became the Pac 10 while the Pac 10 is now the Big 12. This is gonna throw a huge monkey wrench in the MNC race. The winner of the red river rivalry is gonna have a much easier road to that BCS game.

4. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

The Big 12 is doomed to failure. If Texas leaves, the conference fails. It Texas stays, the conference stays in tact but for how long? I don't see how teams like Kansas and Mizzou and whomever really are sitting there saying the Big 12 is the best place for them when Texas is going to get its own TV network etc etc. What garbage.

5. GoGators

Sort of like Ohio St in the Big 10 in 06 and 07.

6. GoGators

What's interesting about this is that the other schools will make a lot more money. Currently they get about $7-9M. With the new deal they'll get approx $15M. However, they're still $5M behind the big 3. Not really a fair and level playing field in the Big 12.

7. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    It never has been fair. To be honest, the new deal is probably more fair than it has been in the past several years.

8. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Agree with everything already stated and my thing is what schools are left out there that can maybe bring this conference prestige up? Off the top of my head I can't really think of some very good up and coming schools that would fill the void. The conference sits between the 12 Pac and the SEC. I understand Texas' move from a business standpoint but its' actually a bad move from the Big 12. Instead of just trying to keep Texas they should of tried harder at keeping Nebraska/CU. Even when they jumped they should of went after Utah or Boise State (even tho they really don't fit the mold). Texas just wanted their money (can't blame 'em), the Big 12 should of realized that (gave 'em the same deal) and went after some "upstart" schools to keep their competitive edge. In my honest opinion if you remove Texas and OU can you really consider that a BCS conference? Their almost at Big East level when it comes to football, IMO.

At the end of the day I just hope this movement causes people to grumble about a playoff system soon (yeah I'm still hopin' over here, lol)

9. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

it is when your football program sucks monkey balls...

10. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

So do the Big 10 and Big 12 swap names now?!?! Not sure how it is copyrighted. But it just seems odd to continue to call them the Big 10 (w/12 teams) and the Big 12 (w/10 teams).

I think every BCS AQ confernce should HAVE to play a conference championship game. It just makes things complicated without one. But oh well the BCS doesn't make sense as it is anyway.....

11. Geauxlden

Geauxlden Walk On

I don't think that anyone can mount an argument that this new deal is fair, but I guess if you're Iowa State or Baylor you have no other options. I do agree with Hokie about the requirements for aq status should be the same for all conferences, either everyone plays a championship game or no one does.