Option Pitches

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Hokie Effect, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Option Pitches

This was brought up in my game against Mo. What is our definition of a "late" pitch. A)When the QB is being tackled to the ground and he flips it out of his ass or B) When the defender makes contact and the QB pitches it.

I was pitching the ball as contact was made or at least trying to right before contact was made as we know that the trigger is not always pitch it exaxtly when you pull it. As anyone that has played football, you are taught to pitch as the defender is making an attempt to tackle the QB. Many times the pitch is being made as contact is made.

I will admit they were close, but My QB was never falling down or wrapped up all the way when he pitched it. I wish I had video but we disconnected. I just want to clarify because what one might think is late another might not. I just want to clear the air before my next user game. So is it A or B.

2. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

my .02-I try to just err on the side of caution.

3. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Always B in my opinion. There are times when the defender sucks into the QB and a "late" pitch happens because you're expecting to have that extra millisecond and you don't.

Unfortunately, you can almost never pitch the ball correctly where you get the defender to commit and pitch it right when they do. The game just doesn't do it for some reason (or, at least, doesn't do it long enough).

4. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I agree. I would say in this game to be fair you almost have to aniticipate the hit and then pitch. Once your QB is hit and you pitch, it gets foggy and can become "cheese" to some. Obviously, if its a blatant late pitch (and they do happen) just run the RB out of bounds.

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I felt they were late...it was like what he stated in B though.

+ the fact that the option is broken thanks to the patch EA put in, now the defenders get sucked into blocks, etc.

Bottom line, he had 236 yards rushing on 8 carries and 3TD's with Ryan Williams...WTF. He had 71 with the other guy and a TD. It was ridiculous how bad the option is now....BTW those stats were before halftime.

6. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

There is a conservative setting that allows your defenders to play pitch man. If it was like the B pitch, I would personally say that I'm runnin' that frickin thang to DA HOUSE! If I'm getting tackled and then press the button it's different, but if I pitch and the cpu pitches is slightly late on contact, good bye. As an option qb in HS, I had many many pitches at or after contact.

On a different note, does Tech run much option with Ryan Williams? If we're talking sim football, run the designed offense right? I mean some sprinkled option yes. Use of personnel, yes. Different scheme, sure. But 234 in the first half on 8 carries is NO SIM. NONE. I would have to see the tape, but if a play works 4 of 8 times for tds, I'm not using it on another user. Simple. I just wouldn't feel good about that. Not that you shouldn't feel ok HOKIE, but I personally wouldn't do that. I'm sure like you said, it's a fine line. BTW I see that you are using the Multiple playbook, but still.

If I run a bunch during the game, and there are just times when I get loose, that's different. But 50% TD success is a game issue, and we should adjust to make it a fair game. Not a good game necessarily, but a fair one. If you beat me by 50 while using a brutal running game, that I just get marched on, that's cool. But if you score every other time you run the play, and you run it in consistent fashion because the cpu can't help me, I'm not very ok with that.

That said, again, there is a gameplan setting to play pitch man. I would use that if you are having issue with the option. Possibly you were MO, but it wasn't mentioned

7. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

I feel dirty any time I run to the outside, and in my other dynasty my QB is a 56 ovr and the WRs aren't much better so I HAVE to run. The run is just so powerful this year.

8. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

It was good to hear some opinions and I will just be more cautious about the pitch, because I am going to run the option. I ran it maybe 6 times that half. 2 just happened to go for long TD's. My other big TD run was on a dive play that I bounced to the outside. I know it would have been frustrateing on the other end of that game too. But I just wanted to defend my play selection on the issue of it being sim. Because I am assuming like the previous game and rules we aren't limited to what to the playbook your team runs in "real life". i.e. if someone wants to be GT or Navy and run the spread or if Florida wants to run the fleXbox One, so be it......

9. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

Yeah I see your point. Like I said, it just LOOKED bad from a purely statistical standpoint. But my brother runs a lot of option with Oregon and he likes to late pitch. It's actually cost him several possession this year because the ball will end up on the ground more often than not, if it was 'pitched' by user after contact. I've noticed a user pitch before contact won't do that though. For me, if it's close, you're good to get to the house, and I just have to play it better. The option is a 'close call' play in real life, so why not in the game? If the guy's like falling down and the ball morphs through his back or he pitches underhand or something, that's not ok.