Orange Bowl (Onside Kick Gate)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by AJ Hart MN, Oct 29, 2010.

1. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

Oct 16, 2009
    Orange Bowl
    Florida vs Virginia Tech
    The 2012 Orange Bowl probably won't be remembered for the final score, it will more than likely be remembered for the wild onside kicks that Virginia Tech were able to convert.​
    The Gators pretty much man-handled the Hokies early in this one. The Gator offense was very efficient and time consuming in the opening half and the defense did what they came into the game looking to do.. Stop the run. John Brantley threw a TD pass and Jeff Demps had a short TD run to give the Gators a 17-0 halftime lead.​
    The 3rd quarter would come and go with the Gators still leading 20-7. After Jeff Demps 2nd TD run of the game early in the forth, everyone thought this one was in the books, maybe even some mop up time for the backups.. Not so fast my friend. Tech quickly moved the ball through the air to make the score 27-13. Tech would then recover their first onside kick of the game but throw a pick six on their opening play.. Again, everyone thinks this game is over, it's 34-13. VTech again comes back and storms down the field and quickly scores to make the game 34-20. Tech again almost recovers the onside kick but the Gators somehow recover the ball and retain possession. Demps and company quickly converted the short field into another TD and an insurmountable 41-20 lead with 2 minutes to go. Well.. Tech just wouldn't quit, long pass after long pass and Tech again found the end-zone and cut the lead to 14. Another onside kick attempt and yet another onside kick recovery... Unbelievable!! Tech quickly scored yet another TD to make this one time blowout into a 7 point game with yet another chance of an onside kick. What do you know, Tech recovers another onside kick BUT the ball didn't travel the necessary 10yds. Ballgame!! Gators 41 - Tech 34​
    Give alot of credit to coach BoSox, his team never gave up and showed a ton of heart coming back in this one. We look forward to meeting up again hopefully next season in the big game.​
    It was a bittersweet end to the season for the Gators. It's hard to imagine a 13-1 season with an Orange Bowl victory is a bad season but we feel we left so much on the table with that horrific loss to LSU in the SEC championship game. It's hard not to give the fans down in Gainesville a National Title but this will have to do for now. Gone now are key seniors John Brantley, Jeff Demps and Chris Rainey but with the unreal recruits we have coming in, the cupboard will not be bare. We're looking forward to hitting the field for spring practice and going after that elusive National Title in January, 2013.​
    Scoring Summary
    First Quarter
    04:02TDFloridaGerald Christian TE #32 10 yard pass from John Brantley QB #12
    Second Quarter
    02:44FGFloridaCaleb Sturgis K #19 31 yard field goal
    01:07TDFloridaJeff Demps HB #2 2 yard rush
    Third Quarter
    03:17FGFloridaCaleb Sturgis K #19 30 yard field goal
    01:01TDVirginia TechDavid Wilson HB #4 12 yard rush
    Forth Quarter
    05:16TDFloridaJeff Demps HB #2 2 yard rush
    04:38TDVirginia TechMarcus Davis WR #7 32 yard pass from Logan Thomas QB #3
    04:05TDFloridaBarrett Stevens CB #20 36 yard interception
    03:25TDVirginia TechXavier Boyce WR #29 21 yard pass from Logan Thomas QB #3
    02:23TDFloridaJeff Demps HB #2 10 yard rush
    01:39TDVirginia TechMarcus Davis WR #7 65 yard pass from Logan Thomas QB #3
    00:40TDVirginia TechXavier Boyce WR #29 4 yard pass from Logan Thomas QB #3

Players of the Game
    Brantley was phenomenal in his final game going 15-17 for 196yds and 1TD​
    Demps rushed for 164yds and 3TD's in his final game as a Gator​

2. BoSoxFan58

BoSoxFan58 Walk On

Sep 21, 2009
    Great recap and a fun game that i'm glad I made a little interesting in the end there.
  3. SodaAddict

SodaAddict Proud Hurt Locker Commish

Jul 13, 2010
    Yeah, I definitely meant to comment on this one earlier. Sometimes I wish there were a way to save 1 game to EA Servers for people to watch. That would have been crazy to watch.
  4. BoSoxFan58

BoSoxFan58 Walk On

Sep 21, 2009
    It would be good if you could also hear AJH after I recovered the onside kicks, it was classic! I never thought I really had an actual shot at sending it to overtime, but it was great to at least put pressure on him so he had to earn the victory.