Oregon Ducks Defeats Alabama in a Thriller

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by nrg_qbz-_-, Mar 13, 2011.

1. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

Oregon Ducks Defeat Alabama 38-34 in the National Championship

The Oregon Ducks faced off against the Alabama Crimson Tide for all the marbles in the National Championship game. In a game that was played in heavy downpour and vicious winds, Bama drew first blood with an 8-yard TD catch from WR Justin Covington. The Ducks would respond on a 29 yard TD run by Lache Seastrunk and would push the lead to 14-7 as WR Josh Huff caught a 51 yard TD.​

With the score tied at 14-14, the Ducks would make their only crucial mistake of the game, as QB Daryle Hawkins fumbled the ball deep in his own territory with only 20 seconds to go before halftime. AJ Maccaron would make the most of this opportunity, pushing Bama to a 21-14 lead on a 20yard pass to Connor Pugh.

Another FG and TD by Alabama would make the score 31-14 heading into the final quarter. "Our guys kept their heads up. They had positive body language despite the score," said coach nrg_qbz. "I just knew that this group was going to make something special happen."

Indeed they would, as MLB Ryan Leak returned an interception 53 yards for a score. Oregon would then force a fumble that would lead to a FG. Another 3-and-out saw Oregon score again, this time on a 28 yard TD catch by Josh Huff. However, Alabama would move down the field to take the lead on a long fg with 47 seconds left in a game. Playing with no timeouts, Oregon caught a break as a long Hail Mary to Keanon Lowe was tipped and caught by...who else, Josh Huff. With time running down and trying to decide whether to kick a fg or not, the Ducks decided to go for it all on 4th down. With the time ticking away, Lache Seastrunk caught the game-winning TD with 3 seconds left in the game. "I cannot believe coach did that. I can't tell if our guys even realized that the special teams unit weren't going to be on the field," said Seastrunk. "I'm still shaking."

Picked by many experts to finish in the lower echelon of the PAC-10 due to the departure of star players on both sides of the ball, the Ducks defied all logic by taking the conference by storm. A team that was known for giving up monstrous points every season, the Ducks turned it around and put a strong emphasis on defense. In addition, they were 8th in the nation in +/- turnovers. "This is a special team and they deserve everything that has come their way," said coach nrg_qbz. "We've come a long ways."