Oregon Presser

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Diddy81, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Oregon Presser

[​IMG]

Coach you guys were at the top of the mountain and then got bounced by Boise, tell us about the ups and downs of that process?

With Jeremiah Masoli being kicked off the team how has your QB sitation been this year?

Who has to play better (player, unit) in order for Oregon to win the Pac - 10 again?

2. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

[​IMG]

We should have more ups then downs. We messed up big time against a top tier program that is up and coming in Boise State. Our ups will come in the following weeks. The offense still clicked and LaMichael James will shine. Our downs have definitely been this past week during practice. A lot of the kids had their heads down after the game and during practice. We told them they would have another opportunity to prove themselves and to not get discouraged. We are ranked #6 currently, so we aren't in a bad position. Luckily, we took the lump early on instead of late during the season.

The QB situation is steady. I wish I could take Costa & Thomas and mix them together because that would be a very potent threat. I think Thomas under the helm is better in the long run since he is only a Sophomore. Costa will be gone this next season. We have definitely been hurt in some areas.

The wide receivers actually need to step up. So many dropped passes last week against Boise cost us. With us relying so heavily on the run, our passing is needed to stretch the defense. Things need to change. Expect Lavasier Tunei to step up.

3. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Another tough loss coach, what was your poison this time?

Did the #1 ranking give this team a false sense of security?

How did the QB switch play out according to your evaluation?

What's next for the ducks?

4. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Turnovers, simply put.

I don't think so. I think going into the season, we didn't have any sense of who we were. To be ranked #1 didn't do us justice. It might have hurt our thinking. In other words, it made us cocky when we didn't need to be.

It didn't really do what we expected. They both got flustered and threw interceptions. They both threw one touchdown but Thomas ran the ball 3 times for 15 yards. I thought that with Costa in there, you would have to worry about the run and the pass. Didn't exactly pan out that way.

We just have to keep chugging along. Can't let this week get into our heads. We have to play like each week is a new season.

5. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Coach you are an Oregon man, have the fans been supportive or negative with the rocky start?

Was has been the key to the turn around, as you were able to handle a very well coached UCLA team?

Has Lamichael James been what you expected?

What kind of player is Casey Matthews?

6. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

Coach you are an Oregon man, have the fans been supportive or negative with the rocky start?
    Any time you lose games, your fan base is going to be upset. We're 3-4 after 7 games and that is unacceptable. We had high expectations heading into the season so it has obviously been a letdown up to this point. Honestly, our offense is not where it needs to be. There will be changes next year, but it's just too late into the season to make the adjustments. The recruits coming in will provide us a tremendous lift, I guarantee you that.

Was has been the key to the turn around, as you were able to handle a very well coached UCLA team?
    The key was to take the clamps off Darron Thomas and let him throw the ball. We've been babysitting him and holding him back from what he is capable of, mainly because LaMichael has run the ball so well for us. With the teams stacking the line against us, it was necessary to throw the ball. If we don't let him do that now, he'll won't be prepared at game speed when we need him to do so.

Has Lamichael James been what you expected?
    LaMichael is a tremendous athlete and teammate, but I'm sure you already knew that. What he needs to work on, and what I want him to improve on, is catching the ball out of the backfield. If we can get him out in the open, he's as deadly a weapon as there is in all of college football. However, he's been dropping the ball or making the wrong reads too frequently. That's something that will improve with time. Once that happens, look out!

What kind of player is Casey Matthews?
    Casey comes from a strong pedigree, with his brothers, father and uncle all having played at the collegiate level. However, he never feels entitled to anything and is one of the hardest workers on our team. Whether it's showing up to team meetings early or leading the workouts with his endless energy, the kid is a leader. We're glad USC passed on him, that's for sure.