Oregon Recruiting Thread

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Philstyle3005, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Philstyle3005

Philstyle3005 Walk On

Topic: Wide Receivers

Top Receivers, Josh Huff and Chad Delany will be graduating this Spring, along with two other Oregon Receivers. Keanon Lowe, the slot receiver and one of Bryan Bennett's favorite targets thus far, is projected to leave and pursue the NFL Draft after finishing up his Junior season. Hopefully he doesn't leave, but even if he doesn't, Oregon will be without 3 of there 4 starting receiver threats, which puts them in a bad position when running the spread offense. One of the main things Oregon has done this season is recruit receivers.

Josh Brown (Committed)- Josh was the first receiver to commit on the list, a 5 star 6'1, 209 pounder out of Mercer Island, Washington. With B+ Speed, look for Josh to be a big impact player in the Ducks lineup for next season.

Jimmy Holland (Currently 3rd behind AZ St. and Cal) - Jimmy is the top prospect to recruit for Oregon now, and look for the coaching staff to go after him in full force. Jimmy is a 6'4, 203 4 star recruit out of Kingman, Arizona. He is the Ducks main focus as far as recruiting goes right now, and most likely would be a starter for next season.

Trevor Concepcion (Currently 1st)- A 6'2, 183 pound 4 star Possession receiver out of Seagoville, Texas, the same town Lamarcus Aldridge of the Portland Trailblzers played his high school basketball at. Oregon has sank it's teeth into the Texas pipeline lately. Well known QB and RB combo Daron Thomas and LaMichael James were both from Texas, as well as current running backs Tre Carson, Lache Seastrunk, and Kenny Bassett, also top receiver Josh Huff. The Texas pipeline has been booming for the Ducks and they hope to keep that trend going by picking up Concepcion. Depending on how things go, he would most likely get the start next season as well.

Tom Johnson (Currently 1st)- A 5'11 183 pound 3 star receiver out of Anacortes, Washington. He has has been offered by the Ducks, and they're hoping he'll accept as soon as next week. He has been told that no matter what, he will not receive a redshirt his first year on campus. Regardless if Keanon decides to enter the draft or not, Johnson should see a tremendous amount of time at the 3 or 4 wide receiver position. He has solid speed and should receive a fair number of catches next season if he decided to come to Eugene.

Anthony Tyler (Currently 1st)- A 6'3, 180 pound 4 star recruit who is also out of Texas, Killeen to be exact. Solid speed and good jumping, could quickly become a big play, downfield type receiver for the Ducks next season, should he decide to commit. The Ducks are really opening up and starting to recruit Texas more and more with each season.

It may seem like the Ducks are recruiting a lot of receivers this season, but with most of their receivers leaving, and Freshman walk-on Nick Brown deciding to become a team manager for next season, there seems to be a lot of holes that need to be filled. Right now, the only underclassmen besides brown are Chris Briggs, who hasn't recorded a catch this season, and Keannon Lowe, who could be headed for the draft. The Ducks really need to land these recruits in order to continue to run their spread offense next season. Bryan Bennett should be returning for another season with the Ducks, so that should be a big plus in recruiting for these freshman to have a senior quarterback at the helm. It's almost a sure thing though that if the Ducks do not get some good receivers to commit, they will have to look at a new offense and base it on the run and the option next season. With Bassett and Seastrunk both set to comeback for their senior seasons, and Tre Carson there for 3rd down opportunities, that may not be a bad thing.

*I just did this to bring more interaction about my team and recruiting. Feel free to delete if I should post this elsewhere or not at all.

2. Ghost

Ghost Before the rollieee!

I myself was going after the Texas pipeline didnt work out for me tho but next year ill definitly be going after that pipeline hardcore BTW, do you have the California pipeline as well if you do DAMMM!!! It must be kinda easy for you to recruit if you do

3. Ghost

Imagine having California Texas and Florida as your pipeline lol so much recruits would want to come to your school

4. Philstyle3005

Philstyle3005 Walk On

Yep, Texas and California are both pipelines for me. I don't think I'd ever be able to get Florida as a pipeline. I don't have any kids on the team from there and not recruiting any for next season I'm happy with Texas and California though. Gives me a whole lot of options.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ghost

True

6. Philstyle3005

Philstyle3005 Walk On

Topic- Running Backs

After 3 games of Lache Seastrunk playing very well offensively, a lot better than expected, the Ducks coaching staff realized they need to be prepared to lose him this off season to the NFL draft. Lache has 54 carries for 393 yards and 3 touchdowns. He's been limited as far as touchdowns go, but the yards don't lie, and after almost rushing for 200 yards on the road in a game which will most likely decide the Pac 12 north, his draft stock has done nothing but go up. Kenny Bassett will be the starting tail back for the Ducks next season if Seastrunk leaves, and Bassett is a splitting image of Seastrunk, just a little slower when he starts his runs. He'll only be around for one season though as he is a Junior just like Seastrunk. Tra Carson is next no the depth chart, a red-shirt freshman who Lamichael James helped recruit to Oregon. (Both attended Liberty Eylau High School in East Texas). Tra is 6'1, 225 pounds and can run you over, but his speed isn't really built for the spread offense. Tra is a little too fast to be used as a fullback, but the coaching staff is really considering adding some new formations next season, and letting him be a goaline back/power back. One of the backs you can sub in to pound it out on the ground when you need to run some clock. Finally you get to Tony Cunningham, a redshirt freshman who hasn't played a down of Division 1 football yet. He's a very fast scat back, but his carrying and stamina could be a problem. Not someone you'd want to be an every down back for you. He is a back that could make you miss and make a home run play at any time though, and could possibly be the Ducks starter in a couple years. A redshirt freshman, Brandon Sherman, 6'3, 220 is being talked to about possibly switching to the Fullback position. Brandon is a slow back, that doesn't have great carry, but with the fullback position not really being utilized at Oregon other than at the goaline, he should have no problem picking the position up. Granted this offensive scheme could change in the future, he'd still have a year or to get better and learn if Oregon can't pick up a commitment from another true fullback. If they do get a fullback commitment though, Brandon may never see any playing time at tailback. Another redshirt Freshman is Andre Williams. He looks to be a running back that was given a scholarship early in the recruiting year incase some running backs didn't sign or some transferred. Unfortunately for him, everyone stayed and as deep as the Ducks are at the running back position, it doesn't look like he'll ever see a carry in Eugene unless he improves greatly over the next few off-season. Being a freshman, he does have time to improve but I would expect Andre to transfer after this season.

On the outside, it looks like the Ducks are stacked at running back, but in the spread offense, you have to have a special type of back in order to be successful. Other than the two juniors, there is only one, possibly two backs that fit the description of what a spread running back is like. The Ducks will have 5-6 running backs coming back next season, but yet a halfback is still on the list to get this season. They have targeted two running backs for this years class, but have not offered either yet. Both have also been told that unless something crazy happens, they'll both be redshirted in their first season. When you tell a recruit he'll be red shirted, you normally can't attack the 5 star recruits and this is no different. Oregon has found two key half backs that they think can work out for their offense and be a big asset in the future.

HB Matt Neal (Currently 1st) - Matt is a 6'2, 197 pounder out of Rowland Heights, CA. He's a speed back and fits perfectly for the Oregon Spread offense. Not going to break a lot of tackles and doesn't have the best carry, but his speed makes up for that. He will still need to work on his carry and his catching if he wants to get more involved in the passing offense.

HB Kevin Lawrence (Currently 5th behind 4 TX schools) - Kevin is a 6'0 190 pound speedster out of The Woodlands, TX. Unfortunately, speed is his only real asset right now. Tulsa is the only school that has offered him so far, and they're leading the way in recruiting. A lot of talk is that Houston will offer him soon as they are supposedly right behind Tulsa. Oregon has yet to offer the young man, and I'm not sure if they will anytime soon. Oregon will most likely wait until Neal decides what he is going to do before they use a scholarship on Lawrence. Lawrence is good, but not the type of back that would start right away for the Ducks, or even see the field his first year on campus. He would for sure be red shirted (which he has already been told) and it's quite possible he wouldn't' play until his redshirt sophomore season.

Both of these running backs have to make decisions on if they want to play right away, or wait until they're ready. Neal seems to be the type of back who understands that he needs a few more years of work before he'll see legitimate playing time. His top 3 schools are Oregon, Stanford, and USC. He wouldn't see any significant playing time at any of these schools for at least two years. For Oregon to land a recruit out of California that both Stanford and USC were interested in would be huge and make a big statement, but not as big as the statement the Ducks hope Neal makes in Eugene. For Lawrence, things are a bit different. He's a running back that is very interested in attending Tulsa or Houston right now, two places he'd most likely see playing time as a freshman. The recruiting pitch towards guys like this is you can play right away in front of no one, or you can come to the Pac 12, wait a little while, and play in the national spotlight week in and week out.