Oregon State 24, Utah 21

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by The Parrothead, Aug 1, 2011.

1. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

In the first Pac 12 meeting between the Beavers and Utes, OSU comes out on top 24-21. The game started with Coach Parrothead telling everyone that they were still the underdog and it was Utah's game to lose. Whether or not he believed that to be true isn't known.

Utah won the toss and elected to kick to start the game. The Beavers would take this opportunity to use a balanced running attack with timely passes to move down the field. The drive ended with HB Ryan McCants punching it in from 6 yards out to put the Beavers up 7-0. Utah's first drive would end with a punt, as would Oregon State's second drive.

Once Utah had the ball back, they were intent on tying it up. Precision passing was doing the trick, until an errant pass from Jordan Wynn ended up in the hands of a Beaver defender. CB Brandon Hardin would return the interception 79 yards to put Oregon State up 14-0 as the first quarter ended.

Utah would drive the field to start the second quarter and score on a 7 yard pass from Wynn to TE Kendrick Moeai. That would be end of the scoring for the half. Oregon State would take the halftime lead at 14-7.

Wasting no time in the third quarter, Utah goes to the air for a couple of huge gains. 53 seconds into the quarter, HB Thretton Palamo would run it in from 2 yards out to tie the game at 14. After a couple of punts, Oregon State would get the ball back and start their drive. Sensing a blitz was coming, QB Ryan Katz hit FB Clayton York on what was supposed to be a quick hitter for a few yards. Instead, York evades a couple of would-be tacklers and ends up with a 70 yard TD reception.

Utah would punt the ball back and Oregon State would put together another drive. This time they come up just short on a crucial third down inside the 5, and would settle for a 17 yard FG giving them a 24-14 lead. Coach Parrothead immediately said, "We sure could have used the TD there."

He was right. On Utah's first play on offense following the score, they come up with a score of their own as NOBODY covered WR Luke Matthews. Matthews ends up with a 76 yard TD, putting the game at 24-21 with 4:13 to go. OSU puts together a bit of a drive, but is then forced to punt. Utah has their final chance to tie or win this thing. Driving down the field on a crucial 4th down, they come up just short, giving OSU the ball back. Utah still has their timeouts, but after a big 30 yard run to secure a first, it wouldn't matter. Final score of this one is Oregon State 24, Utah 21. Next up for Oregon State is Stanford in a game that will more than likely decide the Pac 12 North division.

Had some highlights to post, but the game booted me before I could save them. Love that "you're not connected" deal. GG MaxATX34

• Like Like x 2
  2. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

I'm sure you can't. It's your only regular season user game! :D

4. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    If you are trying to get me to feel guilty about that and taking Stanford you fail miserably. :cool:

5. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

Wasn't trying to make you feel guilty at all. But maybe you are. :) I know Helli wasn't going to change anyone's schedule, so it is what it is, and you're probably happy you get to play someone besides the CPU. Early Vegas odds show Stanford as a 14 1/2 point favorite...

6. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Not guilty one bit. In my primary dynasties the last 3 years I've had UConn, Vandy, and Purdue. So yeah, feels good to have Stanford.

7. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

GG Parrot

Cant believe my WR didnt catch the ball on 4th down. All he had to do was take two steps, turn around, and catch the ball! Your LB was behind him, but receivers wear back plates for a reason lol! Hit him in the hands too...

I just couldnt stop the run (until mccants was out). Ill be happy when he and your entire o-line graduates lol

GL in your game vs HotRod. I want a rematch this season and I dont want to see Luck haha

8. jfosh

jfosh Super

Sounded like a great Pac-10 game ... We will all have Stanford on our schedules soon enough.

Despite being the favorite Utah didn't feel the urgency in this one. The utes will get a shot at the winner of Stanford and Oregon St. .. the Utes still may get a chance to wear those Beaver out!

9. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

You're trying too hard now. :D