Oregon State Football

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by NeuroticTruth, Mar 12, 2012.

1. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    Just to try and generate some content, even though we're down to 6 teams, so I decided to make a thread to leave some comments / concerns / thoughts in regards to my Oregon State squad.

I took OSU as it was a school that had some upside but also one that was going to take some rebuilding. As the league is smaller now I'm hoping we can burn through a few seasons before people start to shutdown '12 in anticipation for '13. I like the challenge of building up a school. I've never tried to do one with the recruiting restrictions we have in place, so I expect it to be an uphill battle.

==========================

Expectations for Season 3:

I didnt do any recruiting after the switch in season 2. I wanted to come into this preseason and start fresh, as if I had just taken over the "job". Recruiting so far this season is as tough as expected. All my recruits are :3stars: or worse. That was expected though as OSU is only a :3stars: program. I have some solid offensive weapons to start with at QB, HB, and WR. The downside is they're all juniors. At best I have them for two seasons. Obviously, trying to find replacements at these positions (as my depth isnt that great) is a priority. Offense though wasnt my biggest concern coming into the season. Defensively play makers are hard to come by. We have an All American ROLB but outside of him there isnt much. Recruiting defensively is definitely a top priority for this season.

That being said, my expectations for this season were pretty low. I pictured the season unfolding to the tune of a 7-5 or 6-6 finish and a hopeful bowl victory (especially with the apparent quality of teams in the PAC 12 this season). The biggest focus was on landing the recruits I was after and trying to move the team up to a :4stars: rating. Clearly building for the future.

==========================

Current thoughts for Season 3:

Surprisingly our defense has been the strength of the team. Despite the low ratings and low expectations, the defense is definitely the reason we're off to a 2-0 start. Coming into the season I thought every game was going to be a shoot out; the first two games have been everything but. Through two games our defensive stats are as follows:

Passing Yards Allowed - 296
    Rushing Yards Allowed - 122
    Yards Per Rush Allowed - 2.14
    Third Down % - 43%
    Fumbles Recovered - 1
    Interceptions - 5
    Defensive Touchdowns - 3

The third down % I would like to see lower (TAMU destroyed us on third down), but the rest of those stats I couldnt ask for better results.

Offensively we're leaning on our Junior HB Agnew as our workhorse and he hasnt disappointed. He is and will continue to be the focus of our offense.

Next up for us is Purdue (0-1). If we win, we'll be at a surprising 3-0 and likely will crack the top 25. I honestly never expected a start like this. It really has made me change my outlook for this season. The biggest thing for us though is being able to win in the PAC 12. Even if we do start 3-0, all three of our wins will be non-conference. Week 5 is when our conference play beings and that will truly be a telling sign on how the rest of the season plays out.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Can't be right.. You had 4 against TAMU

3. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Woops, fixed. Thanks. :)

4. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

That number is still giving me nightmares. Especially that one at the end.

5. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    What an unbelievable finish to that game. My defense stood strong for so long but in the 4th quarter I couldnt do anything to stop you. You really outplayed me the whole game outside of the two big plays I had (INT returned for a TD and the 80 yard run before half time).

6. onaradio34

onaradio34 Tryin not to show how little I know bout anything

Nice stuff man...keep it up!

7. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Sounds like you play like me before halftime. Make them think passive, then surprise them with that big run. Used to be a go to staple with me using Marcus Coker (goodbye sir).

8. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

*Taking notes....*

• Like Like x 1
  9. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Thoughts through Week 6:

I truly am in shock that this team is 5-0. Last season at Texas I had a much more talented team and I struggled majorly. When I switched to Oregon State I assumed those struggles would continue. I dont know if I have players that better fit the type of schemes I like to run or the fact that I really havnt played a stud CPU team; maybe its a combination of both. Either way, I cant be happier with the way things have started. Recruiting could be a bit better, but as a two star program on Heisman recruiting, struggles are to be expected. I still have some big games left (USC and Oregon being the biggest) so I have to keep putting in work to make sure I can stay polished for those games. Losing HB Malcom Agnew (broken ankle) for the rest of the season is going to be very tough to over come. I'm lucky I face WSU in week 7 as they're a team I can probably beat without Agnew and at the same time, try and figure out how my offense will proceed without him. My defense continues to be outstanding as I've allowed only 20 points over the last three games. My defense and special teams have definitely been the biggest factor to the 5-0 start.

Key Team Stats Through Week 6:

Passing Yards - 711
    Rushing Yards - 694
    Interceptions Thrown - 3
    Fumbles Lost - 0
    Third Down % Converted - (22/45) 49%
    Passing Yards Allowed - 576
    Rushing Yards Allowed - 412
    Yards Per Rush Allowed - 2.8
    Third Down % Allowed - (19/55) 35%
    Fumbles Recovered - 3
    Interceptions - 7