Oregon @ USC

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Basis4aDay56, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Oregon @ USC

Hey Shaun,

I know our game is two advances away and you have another user game before that, but I figured getting this out there a little earlier couldn't hurt. Our game is going to be played in the 4/13 - 4/16 (M - Th) window, so here is my availability:

Monday 4/13: Anytime before 2pm EDT
    Tuesday 4/14: After 9pm EDT
    Wednesday 4/15: Before 4pm and after 9pm EDT
    Thursday 4/16: After 9pm EDT

I would prefer to go out Thursday night after class, so hopefully we can get it in before then.

2. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

BUMP for Shaun

Monday night I can also do after 10pm EDT, possibly a little earlier if I get out of class early.

Happy Easter man.

3. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Sorry I just saw this.

How is Tuesday night at 9:00 PM? If I get antsy maybe I will stay up late on Monday night.

Shaun

4. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Tuesday at 9 eastern works for me! See ya then...

I have class until 8:40, so I might be on a little bit after 9, or earlier -- I have no idea!

5. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Quick and brief look into the matchup:

- USC Trojans:
    A overall - A offense - A+ defense that didn't allow Oregon State anything (and made him cry)
    - Oregon Ducks: B+ overall - B+ offense - B+ defense

Oregon Notes and Trends
    For Oregon, all but 2 of their 11 starters on offense (QB, 2 HB, 2 WR, TE, 5 OL) are riding hotstreaks. Who isn't? 92 overall center Max Unger and 92 overall HB1 Jeremiah Johnson, who was knocked out of last weeks game early on due to a wrist injury. Clearly the Ducks' offense has been hitting on all cylinders of late, but they have also not been without their problems. The reliability of true-sophomore quarterback Jeremiah Masoli in the unfriendly confines of Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum will be the true test for this offense. Also, will Jeremiah Johnson be able to have the necessary confidence in his wrist? Can the Ducks find a weakness in USC's crew of NFL-caliber defenders? These many questions linger, and Coach Basis hopes that solid preparation will help ease some of the doubt.

On defense for the Ducks, the question will be whether or not they can force USC into bad situations and cause some turnovers. Without limiting USC's ability to move the ball, which they have done with ease so far this year, Oregon will have to solely rely on turnovers, which is clearly not a good strategy. The Ducks defense is one of the top units in the land thus far, and will meet its toughest test of the season in this one.

USC Notes and Trends

The Trojans offense has clearly shown why USC is so tough to beat so far this season. They have a THREE-headed speed-machine squad of running backs, they have their top 3 receivers running with over 92 speed (Patrick Turner, senior and 89 speed, will miss this game due to injury), and, oh yeah -- Mark Sanchez at quarterback, who will likely be a top 5 pick in April's NFL draft. The weak link of the USC offense is their offensive line, which has no one rated over 90 overall but is still no slouch.

The USC defensive unit might send a record number of draft picks the NFL's way this season, and it is not hard to see why. If you were to take this USC defense and put every single one of them on the Detroit Lions, Detroit would have won 5 games last season -- they are that nasty. This unit strikes fear into their opponents (mostly just Basis :D) by way of standout linebackers Cushing and Maualuga, and free safety Taylor Mays, who are rated 97, 97, and 96 overall respectively. USC's corners are very fast (and also very aware). Kevin Ellison, senior strong safety, is no slouch with a 92 overall rating and 92 speed. The USC defensive line is probably their weakest point, but that isn't saying much, as they will start an 89 overall LE, a 94 overall RE, and DT's that are 90 and 87 overall. Should Oregon be able to break through the defensive line, they will have to contend with you-know-who (Cushing, Maualuga, and the rest).

Prediction
    Coach Basis has his Oregon team playing really well, but their youth at the quarterback position is going to kill them in such a hostile environment and against a professional defense. Coach Mason has his Trojans looking to go 2-0 in user games (and take an early stranglehold on the Pac-10), and will undoubtedly bring a staunch gameplan to the field. In this one, we expect Oregon to keep it close early, but USC's talent and intangibles will be too much for the visiting Ducks to handle: USC 38, Oregon 17.

6. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Hey Shaun, I am home from class early. If you can play, let me know -- I am around. Otherwise 9 tomorrow night still works.

7. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I'll be on.

8. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

9. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    No pressure

10. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Wow, great game. I caught the second half. Classic finish.

11. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Great game Shaun, that was intense. I audibled to the slants on the last play, I got the look I expected but couldn't make the play. Good luck the rest of the season!

Hopefully the broadcast didn't look to bad. I am planning on doing it for all of my user games in all 4 leagues that I am in. I didn't experience any lag excpet for kickoffs and kick returns. Shaun mentioned something about lag when I was changing my batteries, but when I asked him if it was bearable (figured it was similar to what I was experiencing) he said "its fine".

PHEW... what a game.

12. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    The lag was pretty bad on my end.

Really the first time I have ever had that problem. I couldn't read the defense on passing plays and a couple of times you warped and got me on defense.

But, it wasn't so bad I couldn't play.

That was one of the most intense games I have ever played, even my wife was into it.

13. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

What a great night for my dog to have chewed thru the Verizon FIOS cable and leave me without internet.
    One question, is it possible to have bad lag on one end but smooth on the other?

14. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I don't know -- I think so though based on this game. My end was fine, no warping and any lag was spotty and occurred mainly on kickoffs and field goals.

15. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I've wondered that as well. It seems like you hear of plenty of cases where one side lags and the other doesn't. I don't understand how that works, because it's not like it pauses and then skips ahead, right? It pauses for a split second, then resumes from that point. I'm not positive, but when I get lag that's what it seems like to me.

Maybe it does skip ahead and I just don't notice. It would have to skip ahead for one side to experience lag and not the other.