OS Article

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by Kasper, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

http://www.operationsports.com/features/1524/five-reasons-to-hold-off-on-buying-ncaa-football-13/

First, a big thanks to I Peench for posting this article in his status and inspiring this rant. I would recommend you read that before this..

I'm going to deal with all this in bullet point for the sake of some organization, handling each part this Jayson fellow nit picks on its own.
    • Total Control Passing- so essentially, he is convinced that if you call a post route from the left side and your receiver cuts to the middle, you can throw it to the left (behind the receiver) and it is magically a completion every time. Now I am no super human stick jockey, but I'm am almost 100% that if you throw a route like that behind the receiver, the trailing defender is most certainly going to make a play on that ball. He literally says the new passing system "allows the quarterback to reroute receivers on the fly" which in a sense you can, but this kind of over generalization runs rampant throughout this article. I had this broken down a little more, but firefox decided to crash (goddam work computer).

• Option Game - I won't begin to argue that the CPU can't run the option for shit-- they are terrible at it. However, he goes on to make it sound as if the offense is completely broke for a user which is a total farce. I know for a fact that there are a good population of users here on TSO that run this offense, many of which are successful (I just switched to it this year and been having plenty of success). Are there tweaks that need to be made here and there? Absolutely, and I expect EA will do so. To say that this is a reason one shouldn't purchase the game is pure lunacy. To even say the offense is broken and unusable is even over the top. He states: "Simply put, option plays are a mess in NCAA Football 13, and with most schools these days including some form of the I-option or spread option in their offense, these plays will kill drives and frustrate you whenever they are called." That statement is total and utter bullshit.

• Gameplay gimmicks - I'm just going to divide these up by themselves as well...
    • Jump the Snap - This one really ticked me off. Do sum up his thinking: "It is bullshit that the cpu can jump my snap count, why shouldn't I be able to snap it on the first sound every time? Oh I can do a hard count and make them jump offsides? But won't that take like 2 seconds to do? Well my god I don't have 8 seconds to watch this penalty cut scene and accept my 5 free yards." Sure I lacked a little creativity there in summing up his words, but that is the just of it. The fact that his time is so precious that he can't afford to spend roughly ten seconds keeping the defense off guard makes me question wether he should play the game at all. Let's now even address how integral a strategy the hard count actually is (it is such a basic concept to me (and likely you) that I can hardly call it a strategy even). I mean really... the fact that this upsets him so much is just plain silly. Would I like to see gameplanning thrown out the window completely so the defense can't set themselves to aggressive pass rush? Sure, but it isn't so utilize the hard count feature and counter their aggressiveness just like in real football.
    • Run/Pass Commit - *sigh* This one is a real doozy. He dissects this particular feature in an astonishing 9 sentences. In those 9 sentences he basically outlines what happens if you guess the play right- we all know what happens, your defense plays it well and it gives you a little boost ( I won't go deep into this part of it ). What upsets me is not ONCE does he bother mentioning what happens if you guess wrong. Everyone here that has the strategical prowess of Ty Willingham knows that if they guess left and you run right, it's a 20 yard run, if not a touchdown, the majority of the time. "Oh but Kasper what about pass commit- you can absolutely shut a passing offense down with that". Well yeah, if you throw the ball literally every play in real life any half defense worth half their salt will stop you. I use the pass commit feature a lot- I can't tell you how many times guys that have top tier QB's in the league have had RB's go off on me out of nowehere because I am playing their passing game. It is simple football, if the defense is playing the pass, run the goddamn ball. Finally, in there he states if the user wants to stop the run, why not make them call a blitz? Uh, call run commit and have the offense send a guy deep-- tell me what happens if that receiver is equal to or faster than Shaun.
    • Reation Time - The fact that he even brings this into an article titled "Five Reasons to Hold Off on Buying NCAA 13" is completely f***ing dumb. 1) It is in a gimmick mode 2) You aren't even forced to use it. If you don't like it don't use it- it is literally that simple. Complaining about this feature is like complaining about custom conferences being fake-- just don't use the feature, some people will enjoy it so let them and quit your whining.

• Outdated Line Play - I agree, and as far as I know EA is over hauling this next year. To not buy the game because this, again, is just dumb. (that said we around here take NCAA more seriously then this guy apparently- as in we buy it to play with our friends and don't complain about sock length and facemasks like the "other" site.)

• Player Movement - He makes some points here, but I will pick a few out I disagree with (note you may need to refer to the article for the "Cause" to follow along with my "Effect" quotes):
    • "Effect: Playaction, misdirection and fake handoff plays become less effective, as defenders easily redirect themselves to the ball without being penalized for making initial "false steps" in the wrong direction." Total BS, I run PA past safeties once a game I think- they take a step or two forward and my receiver is leaving them in the dust.
    • "Effect: Defensive backs run at the same speed whether their hips are turned sideways looking in on the play or they are running blind with their back to the ball." Refer to the line above ^
    • "Effect: Wide receivers can instantly break away from their route and adjust to any off-target throws the moment the ball leaves the quarterback's hand." I want to say he basically contradicts himself, as earlier one of his effects listed was that defenders can adjust to balls quickly and make great interceptions/plays on the ball. I don't see how there is any unfair advantage given (I would assume that was the point he was trying to make with these) if both players can break on the ball (realistically or not) quickly.
    Nice to vent... What do you guys think of it?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

I disagree about pass commit. It gives the defense way too much of a boost and it tends to cause the WRs to drop passes a whole lot more often. That and the gameplan features are really my only huge complaint with the game, they turn the game from fairly sim and strategic to arcadey and annoying

3. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

I think his message is clouded by being a tool. I am no English major by any means but that dude has a lock of writing skill IMO

As far as what you have brought up here Kasper most of it is on point, I respectfully disagree with your opinion on the option by a tit hair ;)

The CPU sucks at running the option, unless its whatever flex-bone type offense Tulsa is running , they killed me with that. My game summary in PFP for it was one of my most rage filled moments that did not involve a car and the bird.

My beef however is how the CPU plays the option on defense, it is poor , and sporadic. I have seen issues where the DE will contain for first 1.3 seconds ,then he just kinda hangs out, does not make a commit to the outside , or to the QB or the HB.

The CPu secondary seems to know right away to attack the option , or they have no clue. It is feast or famine for the CPU with the option. I get irritated with this with it failing so much , to the extent it bothers me even when I am successful lol. I also despise how the DE will follow the HB on the read option, but can cut on a dime and run down my QB if I keep it.

Also the CPU video where the SS just back pedals into the bench is hilarious and heart breaking to me all at the same time. I realize this is not the normal play, but I have seen enough poor safety play to not be shocked by seeing it.

I guess in a nutshell, this game for me , has so many bizarre issues , and so many good things going for it that I really feel like it should be called Bi-Polar '13 :(
    I get that coverages are blown , people make awful plays on the football field, trust me I played once and I can attest to people sucking at football lol. But these issues are flaws that do occur too much , I can look past a wonky play here and there but they feel very frequent to me. I had such high hopes for this game with the reports we were getting from our GC's , and I know those guys were not lying to us. I just feel like our friends at EA kinda fail at execution.

4. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I completely agree on the gameplanning - at least have an option to turn it on or off imo.

I'm all for pass commit though with how easy passing can be at times (not for me, but some guys are sick with it and it is nice to be able to tell your defense to focus on stopping the pass and say forget about the run)

5. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Kasper - I agree with some of what you are saying, but in my opinion the guy on OS has it right when he says that the gameplanning features (like 'jump the snap') and the run/pass commit are basically garbage (I'm paraphrashing). They are. Always have been. Those two features are far an away the worst things put into any sports franchise's gameplay in the 5-8 years I've been playing online football.

I also agree with the guy on the line play, specifically in the area of the pass rush. It was broken last year (due to the DT's being way overpowered), but it's broken 100% the opposite way this year, where the pass rush is completely non-existent.

I think the guy makes some valid points. I think we should all be adults though, if people want to disagree with the intent or specific points he brought up by all means, but I don't know that anyone needs to make personal attacks on the guy for stating an opinion you may not agree with.

You know you are my boy Dan, but there is something called the pot and the kettle right? Bagging on the dude's writing when you open with a sentence with mispellings and bad punctuation?;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Dru I completely agree with jump the snap being garabge, and wouldn't mind if the commit features are gone. But the way his argument goes for the jump snap is lame imo. How much he bitches about waiting the 7 or 8 seconds for the ref to make the call just really rubbed me the wrong way..

7. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Hey look a post from OS bitching about something!

[​IMG]

8. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

And seriously... why title the article as "Five Reasons to hold off buying?" I understand their frustrations although I RARELY hear anything positive on that website, but a more constructive title for the article itself would better serve the community.

Yeah the issues discussed are annoying and frustrating, but it's the only college football game out there, and I love playing it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    http://mgi-gc.easports.com/a/dtd/Optional-Game-Planning/138120-18503

10. QBKILLAR

QBKILLAR If you only win one, please let it be Ole Miss.

I def. agree with you on the pass rush. I think zone D is pretty much non existent and the D line play is the reason. Give most QB's time and they can find a hole in the zone coverage. Seems like the only way to get a sack with the D line anymore is if the QB actually runs into the DT/DE by accident. I hope they address this in the first patch. It's like they made huge strides in some areas but then jumped back to NCAA 11's defensive theories. But like I say it can be fixed lets just hope they do.

11. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

The title of the article and the aim of the author are misdirected, but underneath his douchebagery there lies some truth. From what I've seen, the option game has improved. I play against CPU Georgia Tech every year with Miami in my off- line dynasty. Usually, I have my subs in by the third quarter because it's such a blow out. This year they actually made some big plays and moved the ball. The guys on point with the line play. The defensive line is non-existent. It's like playing 7 on 11 most times. What's lost in these complaints is how great an experience a well run online dynasty with a great group of guys can be. Am I wishing patches or tuner updates will fix several issues I have? Yes, but I wouldn't want to miss out on being in an online dynasty with a great bunch of guys. OS fell into the trap long ago that plauges all media, and that is that negativity sells.

12. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

I read the article. I agree with a couple points, but for the most part I disagree with him on why stuff is poorly executed and it almost seems as though he tries to be a douche and crap on as many things as possible instead of pointing out things that are actual issues.
    The part about Reaction Time is probably the best example of this.

13. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

REVO 2 SPEED BAR OR IM NOT BUYING

• Like Like x 2
  14. LSUTRUTH

LSUTRUTH The one and only

The bad part is Kasper that the route changing ability in this game is absolutely ridiculous. The defender never responds to the changed route thus leaving the WR wide open