OU Presser

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Diddy81, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

OU Presser

[​IMG]

Coach you guys won a big one. You guys were the favorite but all the talk about TAMU made it feel like you were the under dog. Talk a little bit about how you guys won this game.

What are similarities and differences between Landry Jones and Sam Bradford?

With you still having a great chance to win the South, what is your focus from here on out?

Tell us a who your leaders are and what they've done this season.

2. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Coach you guys won a big one. You guys were the favorite but all the talk about TAMU made it feel like you were the under dog. Talk a little bit about how you guys won this game.

We knew A&M was going to be a big challenge for us, but we've been feeling a little disrespected since our loss to Texas. They are the Big XII and National Champions. For us to drop in the polls to where we are is a little perplexing, but all we can do now is take care of our games and see what happens. Beating A&M is our biggest win of the season, so we are definitely pleased coming off of that. It didn't really seem like too many people were giving us a chance in the game. I guess it has to do with how we started the season, but we're really hitting our stride now.

We put ourselves in a hole early with that pick six Landry threw, but the coaching staff got him calmed down and back on track quickly. That was a good balanced team and they took advantage of our mistakes, converting the two picks into 14 points. Landry eventually settled down and we leaned heavily on Jonathan Miller, our workhorse. There's nothing better than when your quarterback is struggling, than to be able to turn around and hand the ball to a quality back 28 times. We think we have a great defense and we knew that eventually we'd get some pressure on them and force some turnover, which is exactly what happened and we were able to pull out a signature win for our season.

What are similarities and differences between Landry Jones and Sam Bradford?

They're actually very similar, if they were both out there without a number on their jerseys, it'd be really hard to tell them apart. Sam had a little more poise than Landry, but I think that has to do with experience. Sam started 4 years for us and Landry is only 9 starts into his career, so I think in time, he'll be just as good as Sam was and I wouldn't be surprised if he won a Heisman Trophy and National Championship before he was done here.

With you still having a great chance to win the South, what is your focus from here on out?

Our focus right now is finishing strong. We've got two games left in our league, then we finish our season at Colorado State. Obviously, we would love to bring the Big XII Title back to Norman, it's been way too long since it's been here, but we've put ourselves in a position where that is out of our hands and we need some help. Next week, we play Baylor and they have one of the best receivers in the country in Kendall Wright, so we need to figure out a way to deal with him, but I know we're up for it. Bottom line we just need to keep winning and see where we end up.

Tell us a who your leaders are and what they've done this season.

We have quite a few guys that are really important to our team, but I think if I had to pick, the 2 guys who really stand out in my mind are Ryan Broyles and Austin Box. They've both been here for 5 years and they are our leaders on offense and defense respectively. Whenever we need a key first down or the game is on the line, Ryan is the guy we're gonna throw the ball to and I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many times he has come through for us. On defense, Austin is our quarterback. Your mike backer has to know where everyone goes and make adjustments. He does that for us and he can flat out play. He is the definition of run-stopper, the kid lives in the opponent's backfield and you better account for him on every play because if you don't, you'll find out real fast where he is.

Thanks for your time guys, I look forward to talking to you again soon.

3. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Great post!

4. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Thanks man.

5. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Great season coach, things didn't go your way at the end of the season as far as getting the help you needed to compete for the Big 12. What bowl are you in, who do you play, and what will it take to win?

Who is the next impact player for the Sooners?

6. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

First off coach, why haven't you done your preseason outlook and posted it in the thread?

Second, OU has another great team in Norman. What must you guys do in the future to beat Texas?

Have you been pleased with the play of Landry Jones?

7. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

updated please respond

8. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Sorry I missed this. I'll do it when I can get to my ps3

9. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

LOL yess Stooops is finally addressing the media!

10. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Hello, thank you all for coming. I'd first like to apologize for my absence, I've been spacing out in my office. Anyway, heading into the season, we were very excited about our team and the potential it had. We had juniors and seniors starting at a lot of key positions and we really felt like we had a legitimate shot at the National Title, not to mention finally getting a win over Texas in the Red River Rivalry, unfortunately, neither one of those goals have come to fruition. While we do have capable backups in a lot of positions, most of them are young and our lack of experienced depth has been exposed a little bit in the last 2 weeks. The loss of linebackers Jaydan Bird and Ronnell Lewis have absolutely killed our defense. They both went down in the Nevada game, for 10 weeks and for the season.

You just can't replace those guys and I think their absence was glaring in the game we just had at Kansas State. They've got a heck of a back up there, but for him to get 101 of his 155 yards after 1st contact is just unacceptable and we have to get better if we want to salvage our season. I can't remember the last time we were below .500 in the Big XII and we're gonna need to do some soul searching this week. It's time for those other juniors and seniors who have been here for 4 and 5 years to step up and take ownership of this team.

We're hoping to get back to the 1-2 punch of pounding the ball with Jonathan Miller and then letting Landry Jones air it out when teams try to pack the box. Miller has unfortunately had a couple of tough games and it has really hurt our ability to win those games. We need to figure something out on defense so we can get back to the way we were playing a few weeks ago. In our 4 wins, we gave up a total of 14 points and in the our last 2 games, both losses, we've given up 53. We need some people to step up and fill in for Ronnell and Jaydan.

OU has another great team in Norman. What must you guys do in the future to beat Texas?

I have nothing but the utmost respect for Texas and their coach. Skip really knows the game and he is really tough to beat. All but one of our games have been decided by a touchdown or less. In each one of them, there were one or two mistakes that really killed us. In order for us to beat Texas, it's gonna take a complete game from us. We've been able to put together 3 1/2 good quarters or more against them, but those little lapses have really cost us. That's why they've got so many titles down there in Austin. To be the best, you've got to beat the best and we haven't put together an effort that was good enough to get over that hump, so we just need to keep working and striving to get better.

Have you been pleased with the play of Landry Jones?

I've been extremely pleased with how Landry has played for us. When you think about what he had to do, come in and replace one of the all-time greats in Sooner history, you can't even imagine the pressure he is under. I'm so proud that he has stepped in and put his own footprint on these pages in Sooner football history. He is putting up unreal numbers and without him, there is no way this team would be where it is now. We're really gonna need to lean on him from here on out to lead us and continue the incredible production, but I couldn't be more confident that he will do it.

Thank you for your time, I need to get back to work and figure out how we're going to right this ship. I'll see you guys soon.

11. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Coach you guys were a heavy favorite over Colorado and then the unthinkable happend, talk about that game briefly.

Espn's Joe Schaad has reported that you have been in heavy negotiations to take over the Miami Hurricanes next season, is it ture, was that a distraction to your team?

What can be salvaged from this season?

12. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Coach you guys were a heavy favorite over Texas A&M and then the unthinkable happend, talk about that game briefly.

We just got beat, plain and simple. My hats off to T2, he had his guys ready to go. We couldn't get stops on defense and we turned the ball over on offense, that's a losing combination every time. It was a lot like the Kansas State game, we weren't good enough. We've had a couple injuries this year and the back-ups that are filling in don't make as many plays as the starters. It's been a frustrating year for us, since we were ranked #1 at one point, to out of the Top 25 for the first time since I've been here. We got a huge win over Nebraska this week, so hopefully that gets us rolling and we can head to our bowl game on a 3-game winning streak.

Espn's Joe Schaad has reported that you have been in heavy negotiations to take over the Miami Hurricanes next season, is it ture, was that a distraction to your team?

Yes, it's true that I'm talking to Miami, the administration here has been great, I think we all feel it's time for a change. I'll be stepping down at the end of the regular season and there will be a new coach taking over and coaching the bowl game. I'm a little disappointed because we didn't accomplish all we set out to when we started, but I think we're leaving the program in good shape. We've been upfront with the kids about what's going on and who's probably coming in, so I don't think it's affected their play too much. If there was more uncertainty surrounding the situation, then I think it would've been more of a distraction, but we've had a lot of meetings and put a lot of their concerns to rest. I think our win this week shows these kids are still focused and committed, that was one helluva Nebraska team.

What can be salvaged from this season?

We still have a lot to play for this year, yes, we lost our opportunities at the championships we wanted, but we can still have a 10-win season, they can win a bowl game, and build momentum for next year. I'm enjoying my last few weeks here and doing all I can for a smooth transition. I'm proud of what we did here and I'm looking forward to the new challenge that lies ahead.

13. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Coach why the move to Miami?

What do you have to say to the players, fans, and powers that be at Oklahoma?

Will you coach the bowl game as Miami's H.C. or will Shannon use that as his swan song?

What are your recruiting numbers looking like for the Canes?

14. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

bumpeddd

15. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Coach why the move to Miami?
    We felt like it was a time for a change. We didn't quite get the job done and we all agreed that the program needed some new blood. It's an amazing opportunity and my staff and I are really excited to get down there and get to work.

What do you have to say to the players, fans, and powers that be at Oklahoma?
    We were really upfront and honest with the kids the whole time. They knew who their next coach was going to be and they understood the move we were making to South Florida. The administration has been great. I think the fans will be happy, because they were yelling for me to get fired and the new coach to get my job after he beat us this season. It really seems like a win-win in my eyes.

Will you coach the bowl game as Miami's H.C. or will Shannon use that as his swan song?
    Coach Shannon has graciously stepped aside and we will be coaching the bowl game. He didn't want to be a lame duck coach and wants to get started on finding a new job. We're going to get down there as soon as possible to start practicing and start recruiting.

What are your recruiting numbers looking like for the Canes?
    We've got 14 seniors right now and we're hoping to keep all of our underclassmen because that's where we believe the strength lies in this team. If we can keep the losses to a minimum, we feel we'll be ready to compete for an ACC Title next year.