Overtime rule change!!!!

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Psycho, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

Overtime rule change!!!!

I'm sure you all know that the NFL has chaanged their rules for overtime IN THE PLAYOFFS!

Here's the deal, I played an OT regular season game in my offline franchise. The way it's suppose to go down is there is no change this year, however I get Collinsworth telling me the new rule for OT... alright who cares if they screwed it up, I like the playoff rules better.

Well after a full quarter no one scored, I prepare to walk out of Jacksonville with a 14-14 tie... what I'm lining up on offense again.

Yep, not only did they decide to add the new playoff OT rule to the regular season, but they also added the old rule that the game can't end in a tie... so yes McNabb, if you're playing Madden in the regular season, you now don't have to worry about tieing.

Just a heads up, I'd hate for someone to lose because they forced something up on the last play of overtime, only to release they could have just played it normal and continued their drive in the second OT.

2. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

A CPU vs CPU game tied in my offline franchise..... The redskins had a tie in their record during the season

3. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

I know, that makes it even more screwed up that you can simulate a tie, but when you're actually playing the game, you can't tie.

4. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

And EA is laughing all the way to the bank.

Thanks for the heads up Psycho.

5. Masler

Masler Moderator

Bullshit, just lost on a fucking FG. Shouldn't just be for the playoffs, should be for EVERYTHING.

6. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

Ahhhhhhh....

Are you saying the Vikings got the ball FIRST drove down the field and kicked a fg and it was over.

Because it would be really strange if they got the rule not changing right, but screwed up and have it where both regular season and post season can't end in a tie... could they have only f'd it up in offline franchise?... could the offline franchise have playoff rules in regular season and the online franchise still have all of last years rules?... now I'm so damn screwed up I feel like I need to waste a whole day test this out.

7. Masler

Masler Moderator

Yea the Viks got the ball FIRST, drove down and kicked the FG.

8. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

I thought that WAS the rule in terms of regular season. Am I wrong? I thought in the playoffs if a team kicked a FG then the other team got one shot. If they score a TD, it's over. Still, that would only be for the playoffs and not the regular season...

9. Masler

Masler Moderator

Right but they shouldn't have Collinsworth telling you about the OT rules unless it is the playoffs, this got me all confused. NFL should just have the rule for both regular season and playoffs.

10. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

Now the interesting thing is why in my offline franchise did I go into a second overtime during the regular season.

I just assumed with Collinsworth informing of the rule... then the double OT, I just figured they had playoff OT rules in regular season.

11. Keller

I'm so confused. Let me try to get this straight.

So for OFFline franchise, the OT rule is in effect even during the regular season. It is not in effect during simulations.

For ONline franchise, the OT rule does not appear to be in effect during the regular season.

12. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

Ah, OK. I can see where someone would get screwed because of Collinsworth explaining rules that don't apply in that given situation. Excellent.

13. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

Here's what I know

Offline Franchise
    Offline Franchise during regular season you will go into at least a second OT, I presume that after the second OT you'll go into a third... fourth, in other words, playing a regular season game in an offline franchise you cannot end in a tie. However the cpu can sim a tie.

Do not know whether it's regular season sudden death, or playoff first drive fg and you get a chance to score back

Online Franchise
    Regular season might be the real regular season rules, however the multiple OT thing has not been tested. Also Chris Collinsworth will tell you it's the playoff rules (does that in offline too), despite it being sudden and death.

wish I had more to inform everyone about. Sucks that we have to test to see is the OT rules work.

Keller - I'll be on tonight after 9pmest, I'll invite you into a test OD at 1 min qtrs, we'll waste the 1 min qtrs and see if in fact a regular season game can end in a tie.

I'll then sim through to the post season and we'll test the OT rules there. OT rules are too important to be screwed up, and I'd hate for a great game to get screwed up because the OT rules are whatever EA programmed them to be.

14. Korenth

Korenth Walk On

I'm not sure about Madden, but in NCAA, you can only host one OD unless you pay to unlock more. Not to say someone else couldn't host it and you be in it to test it.

15. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

I've already got 2 other test OFs, and never had to pay for it.

I'm assuming that it's EAs way of giving us a freebie because they never touched online franchise mode.

16. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

Are you able to sim to the post-season that fast? I never saw an option to sim more than 1 week at a time when I was messing around before. If that's the case, you'd have to wait those wonderful 30 minutes to advance again...

17. Keller

I'll try to get everything done so we can run a test after 9. I think I've got some games to play so no guarantees.

18. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

yeah, I meant to say sometime in the next couple of days I'll sim to the postseason so we can test.

19. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

So it looks like Online Regular Season OT has not been f'd with. Keller and I played to a tie, an we already kow that you can lose on the first drive with a fg.

Next test will be playoffs.

So I guess they only f'd up the offline dynasty.