Owner Money Discussion

Discussion in 'Quality Simulation Football' started by Jeremy, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I have seen this issue discussed in other leagues and I thought it would be good to start a discussion here where we could try and throw around ideas and strategies about how each of us are handling our owner funds.

I am in Tampa Bay where owner funds or lack thereof have been issue going back to last year. So far this season my funds are hovering between $4.0M to around $400k all year. I have yet been able to accrue anymore than that.

My strategy so far has been to first off, cut my team salary down to around $105M. Lowering your team salary will help week to week as your weekly payout to players is lower. I went through each players salary and cut the fat. For example, I cut my K & P whom were both making over $1.5M per year and signed capable FAs at league minimum. I also cut numerous back-up veteran O-Lineman in exchange for younger,cheaper guys. I think the ideal spot for teams struggling to make money is between $100-$105M.

On the ticket sales side, I have continued to slowly lower ticket prices in hopes of finding a sweet spot where I can maximize butts in seats but not hurt my overall money coming in from ticket sales. All my tickets are of the "GOOD" value but at 9-4 I have yet to have a sell-out in Tampa. I am at about the lowest I will go on tickets so hopefully I will see a sell-out in the near future.

On the merchandise front I have also lowered prices 2-3 levels below where the prices started out at. Sales have been pretty consistent here but by no means am I getting rich off of these sales.

On concessions I have listened to fan feedback and lowered prices here also.

I have re-signed a handful of players so far, but all were role-players or back-ups and none of which received any kind of notable bonuses and most received no bonus.

Two of my final 3 games are at home, so I figure to finish the regular season barely above even. In all regards this would be a great victory for me but the downside of this is that 99ovr DT Gerald McCoy's contract is up and barring a miracle he will be playing elsewhere next season. And this is where the circle goes round and round. To make money our teams need to win consistently on the field but to do that most of us need the players,ala McCoy, but with no owner money the good players walk...Its a very frustrating situation but I will keep fighting and hopefully turn this ship(pun intended) around.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  2. RVallee

RVallee Walk On

Yes, unfortunately it's terrible EA logic. I've searched alot online for help about this, and the only basic answer I get is "WIN". That's easier said than done obviously, and it's a huge catch-22 when you have a lower-end team because the talent is just not there. And without "Funds" it's going to be almost impossible to bring a whole lot of makeover to a team.

I am estimating to have 4m in Funds at seasons end. And 40m in cap space. Which I cannot spend. It's beyond ridiculous. My only glimmer of hope is that next season is a sim season, and hopefully that will run my Funds up. But then you think, it will probably be the opposite, I'm sure the Raiders won't fair very well in a sim season, especially since I'll have basically the same team as this season since I cannot sign players.

I've tinkered quite a bit with prices, etc. I've done well in Merchandise, hanging around the top to mid level all season. My salary is awesome (like I said I have 40m free cap space). What's killer is ticket sales. According to my Finances, I sell only about 50% tickets for my home games. I've both raised and lowered prices (been way low the last few weeks), I have won and lost (6-7) but my ticket sales remain around 50%. Which I thought is crazy, you never see a half-full NFL stadium, do you? So I looked into it, and ironically enough last year in the NFL the Raiders had the worst attendance in the league. BUT, they still sold 88% of their tickets.

Anyway, good luck, we all will need it.

**EDIT** and maybe I should have read the Q Address first lol. I am not lobbying for a change, I've had discussion with Doug about it and I don't expect a change. But I think discussion about it is great and can only help.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Jeremy

And I forgot to mention, from what I have experienced and read what others have experienced, rebuilding or renovating your stadium is NEVER a good idea. It only takes you farther into the hole.

• Like Like x 1
  4. thafuture3886

thafuture3886 Power Rankings Analyst

So far what i've done is keep all of my prices at a "Good Level" and i honestly haven't checked it in weeks. Granted I am the Steelers and they are 1 of the top franchises in the league but at last check I think I had about 40M in owner funds. Is that due to my record or my fanbase? I honestly couldn't tell you, maybe it's a combo of both. I've also resigned about 5 guys including a couple that had a good amount of a signing bonus. I guess I lucked out with a stable franchise...

• Like Like x 1
  5. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

I'm at about $17M at last check and was also able to resign all of my guys. I have no idea for what it's worth, but when looking at ticket prices, etc. I normally set some a little higher than league average and some a little lower. So that in the end it all balances itself out. No idea if that makes a difference or not, but that's what I do. I set everything at the beginning of the year and when I start seeing things decline I go back in a switch it all up a little. Seems to be working so far, I've been in the top 5 throughout.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

We all agree there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with constructive discussion and/or criticism. While we want owner mode to be a challenge, we don't want it to be impossible. Management has already had some preliminary discussions on how to curtail the low / negative funds issue which we will address with the off-season. Please, continue constructive discussion regarding this topic. It will be good feedback for the GameChangers to relay to the game developers; who we have also already had some preliminary discussion with. Please just know... With the type of management you have in this league; these things do NOT go unnoticed.

• Like Like x 3
    • Awesome Content Awesome Content x 1
  7. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ninersfan80

Ninersfan80 Walk On

I haven't been above around 4.5m all year and that was when I had 2 home games back to back. I have a lot of cap space also. At the beginning of the year or after week 2 or 3 I lowered pretty much all my prices which seems to not have done much. It will be tough to grow such an unstable franchise but I hope to do it. I will probably tinker with the prices before the last couple games and see if anything happens of it.

9. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Trade me Evans and Seferian-Jenkins for CASH.

Done.

10. Jeremy

[​IMG]

11. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

I don't have any money problems. I dumped all my high price vets before the season and have a payroll around $59M, which leaves me with about $75M cap space for next year and currently I have over $50M in the bank. I know that JJ Watt will take a big chuck of that next year, but that should still leave me enough to go after Gerald McCoy. He would bookend JJ pretty well.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jeremy

Gerald McCoy has been quoted as saying he would retire before playing for the fake Cowboys.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Well played sir. Well played.

14. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

Been swimming in Scneiders money bin....Riding don Benning road, top down, screaming out money aint a thang...and we can't even win a game....loyalty of the fanbase i guess...
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

I thought it was a logical trade, considered you're just going to lose them to me in free agency in 3 years anyway.

Thanks for the compliment of calling me kid. It's been a while since anyone has called me that :)