P90X

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by UofCWildcat, Oct 2, 2011.

1. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Hey fellas! I know a bunch of you have done this/are doing it and I'm starting tomorrow. Any advice or tips to help get through this? I did intense football but i have 0 idea what to expect from this. The only thing that is SCARING me is the diet. So again. Any tips?

2. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

ease into the first week or 2, don't go full throttle or you will be paying for it. The workouts are extremely intense and you will have muscles hurting that you previously had no Idea could hurt.

3. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

I did that for a while but I got pretty bored of it actually. I'm now a month into Insanity, which is more my style of workout anyway. I'm much more into functional athleticism than strength and body building. P90x is a great workout though, and like Nautica said, take it easy in the beginning. If you don't your going to be so sore you are going to have to take days off anyways. I went super hard during plyometrics the first time I did it and I couldn't walk up or down stairs for a week, and I'm an active/athletic guy.

I didn't do the diet, I never feel like I have the time to devote towards making those specific meals. I generally eat pretty healthy though.

4. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I didn't do the diet either. I've finished P90X and I'm in week 7 of Insanity right now. My tips for P90x would be:

1 - Get into a routine with it....you gotta stick to the program otherwise you're wasting your time so make sure you set aside time to do it every day, it's a 6 days per week thing.

2 - Have your protein shakes after the workout. They'll help you recover and not waste your workout.

3 - Be sure to eat well. You're going to be working pretty hard so you have to give your body the energy it needs.

4 - The Yoga workout is probably the best one. Stick with it! Oh, it's also around an 1:40 long so make sure you set aside extra time on those days.

5 - Pick a schedule that works for you. The calendar calls for you do do X on monday, Y on Tuesday, and Z on Wednesday. Well, if that doesn't fit your schedule feel free to change it. For example, I start my workout week on Saturday. This way I have more time on the weekends to ensure I get my workout in and I have Friday as my off day. Getting motivated on a Friday after a long work week is really difficult so take it as your off day. But you have to stick to the order of the routine though.

6 - WRITE YOUR STUFF DOWN!!! Nothing wastes a workout more than doing the same weight the same number of times every week. You're going to be tired and sore and want to lay on the couch. Make sure you have a number of reps in mind for every workout before you begin them. It'll help you get results.

7 - As others noted, it's a bit rough to start. Don't go super hard your first time through everything. It's a 90 day program, killing yourself in week one won't do you any good. Take your time and just focus on making progress.

Lastly, I'd highly suggest the bands, pullup bar, a pilates/yoga matt, and dumbells that are a decent weight (probably the weight you can do shoulder raises with is a good place to start).

Double lastly, Tony Horton is a cheeseball. Enjoy his ridiculous commentary haha.

5. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Doing insanity too huh? How do you like it so far? Personally I like it better. Don't have to set aside an hour+ every day and it's easier for me to do at home. Plus I feel like I could run through a wall every time I finish one.

Tony Horton is one of the main reasons I never finished p90x haha

6. GoGators

This stuff truly is insane. I've never sweated so much in my life. In my eyes, the workout is impact heavy and very leg intense. It's a great workout for building leg strength and cardio but I'm not sure how sustainable it is. All the jumping takes it's toll. But there's tons more eye candy! Ariel and Tina are hot!

I'm running my first half marathon in three weeks though so we'll see how the training impacts that. Granted I've never ran so much as a 5k race before haha. I have been doing some running outside of the insanity program as well though.

7. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Yeah dude I agree. It's tough but it reminds me a lot of what we used to do in high school for tennis (my school was a big time tennis school), so I think that's why I'm drawn to it. The impact is actually good for your legs, as well as your back. You may have some residual soreness or pain but your bones are actually getting stronger through impact training as opposed to running or swimming.

8. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

9. GoGators

You can order that band to wrap around your door hinges from the beachbody website. I have one of those. It works pretty good but it just is tough to get a heavy enough weight on there with the bands after while.

Don't be too nervous man. Honestly, this workout is nothing compared to insanity lol. If you were doing that, I'd say be nervous for the first one. P90x is pretty much just another day at the gym, but it's done in a way that keeps you interested and gets results, two keys to getting people to stick with the program. And oh yeah, day one is a shit gob of pushups so I hope you like those!

The x-stretch program is amazing! Some of the stretches they did in there I'd never done before, especially the forearm one. I feel great after doing that program.

I'd suggesting having a tablet to write your workouts down in. For example you'll have:

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4
    Chest & Back Week 1 Week 2 etc.
    Workout names Reps/weight Reps/weight

You'll want this information handy cause there's no time between exercises unless it's a water break. You'll want to be able to make a quick reference to your records that hey last week I did 23 pushups here, my goal this week is 24 or something like that.

10. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

I need this... but would probably die in the first 15-20 minutes

11. GoGators

And oh yeah, protein bars do taste like cardboard. There are some decent ones out there though that you can stomach. Cliff bar actually makes protein bars that aren't as bad as the body building protein bars but they only have 20g of protein in them. I don't think you need a ton more than that in a snack though if you're eating right.

12. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

@UofC if you are trying to diet, you should try GNC's Lean Shakes for either breakfast or lunch. I usually have the for lunch on days I'm not at school and breakfast for days I am. The vanilla bean tastes great. Also if you have the chocolate protein shakes, try throwing in a half a banana and a tablespoon of all natural peanut butter in a blender, it tastes awesome and is great for a meal after working out.

13. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

That was my plan for after my work out. But i do like the GNC idea. I'm not a breakfast person but i need to get something for every meal.

14. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

yeah the biggest thing with the diet, or any diet is portion control and eating something healthy between meals to raise your metabolism. Apples are always a good "tweener".

Or you could go my route, catch pneumonia and lose 25lbs, either way...lol

15. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Haha that sounds like a plan :p

So finished the first work out and DAMN i'm out of shape. I thought the push ups were bad and then Abs came and I was dying. Excited for Plyometrics tomorrow. Not

16. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Also, when you guys drank the protein do you feel like you have to "chase it" with water. Like i could drink it without but it helps me get it down with water

17. GoGators

LOL, what kind of protein did you buy?

I stick with Optimum Nutritions Whey Protein.

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/100-whey-gold-standard-p-201.html

They have tons of flavors and it mixes up pretty good. Since I don't like to go through the hassle of using a blender or mixer I typically just put it into a glass of milk and mix it with a fork. There will be some chunks if you drink it right away, but nothing too bad. The trick is to actually mix the protein and milk prior to your work out. Then just slap it in the fridge and when you come back an hour later after your work out all the chunks will have dissolved.

18. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I got that EAS shit. It's alright like i've hard worse.

19. GoGators

So how's this thing going? Did you crush your face with skull crushers yesterday? You excited for Yoga today? It's intense, make sure you got a good mat.

20. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Yes excited for Yoga :D About to start. And no. I don't have the money for weights and don't wanna walk across campus to go to the gym so i have the heaviest band i could find and am using that. And my mats pretty shit... So we'll hope it holds up. The past few days my body was dead but i'm feeling better now. Abs are my worst enemy because i can hardly keep up with those fast as mo fos!

21. GoGators

LOL they do move quick in some of those ab exercises. The one where you sit on your butt cheek and try to do like a sideways situp kills me.

22. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

MHM! I know exactly what you mean. Just did Yoga and the ending part really calmed me down. A lot of shit they did was really tough :p

23. GoGators

How are your wrists? Them damn vinyasa's or however you spell it are killers on the wrists after you've done like your 800th one! And did you actually do the ohm's out loud???

24. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

When it said Last Vinyasa i almost came my pants.

25. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Just to update everyone, I'm in the home stretch. 27 more days and i'm happy with my WEIGHT but still waiting for results. I've lost 30 pounds in two months which i am extremely happy to know. Everyone i know says they see differences and the Boston Market lady told me i didn't need to be on a diet so i guess it's showing off. Just gotta tone (which'll probably pour over the 90 days). Just an update

• Like Like x 1