PAC - 16 ???

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by BRUCE80, Jun 4, 2010.

1. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

PAC - 16 ???

A Pac-16?

Posted by Bob Condotta

The Rivals.com site, Orangebloods.com, has a heck of a rumor on its site today, that the Pac-10 is prepared to invite half of the Big 12 to join its conference.

The six are --- Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Colorado.

Then, the story details, the conference would be split in two eight-team groupings, with UW, WSU, Oregon, Oregon State, Cal, Stanford, USC and UCLA in one division with Arizona and Arizona State joining the six Big 12 schools in the other.

This goes against most of the conventional wisdom about the direction the Pac-10 has been leaning on expansion --- namely, that it would likely only want to invite two teams at the most, and might be prepared to do nothing at the moment, waiting to see what happened elsewhere before striking.

With the Big 12 meetings ongoing, there could be more news on this soon.

Divisions like this, I'm assuming, would mean playing each of the other teams in your division each year, then three from the other each year, trading off those three. If so, that would mitigate the issue of the Northwest schools losing their annual games with the California schools.

Sports By Brooks has an interesting take on this, pointing out that the story is from a site dedicated to Texas athletics and that it notes that Texas' goal is still to keep the Big 12 together.

I've yet to hear or see anything from a Pac-10 official or school on this but will pass it along if/when I do.

UPDATE --- Here's Jon Wilner's take on this story, noting that it at least jibes with the recent thought that any Pac-10 expansion would include Texas (and not likely the Utah-Colorado duo that for a while was making the rounds).

And SI.com's Stewart Mandel just Tweeted that he thinks it's entirely possible but "far from a done deal.''

2. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

A&M is flirting with the SEC too.... will be interesting to see how it plays out.

3. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

That would likely leave Big 10 to scoop up some of the remaining school like Nebraska, Missouri and Kansas. Not sure if they'd also get Kansas State, Baylor (unlikey), or Iowa State.

4. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I think the Big 10 would grab Neb and Missouri and then go get Pitt. There's no way they'd add Baylor or K-State.

5. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

I think Baylor, Kstate, Kansas, Iowa St will remain in Big 12. They might add some confusa teams like Houston, Rice, maybe knab TCU from MWC to make it the Big 8 haha

6. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

I think in the end of all this conference expansion, you will see the NCAA "D1" just merge everyone into say 4 "super" BCS Conferences. Which, ultimately could lead to a playoff system for the National Championship. Taking say the top 2 from each conference, then the top 4 teams in the BCS rankings at the end of the season that do not automatically qualify, regardless of conference. Giving the NCAA a 12 team playoff with the top 2 seeds getting first round byes...

However, maybe I am just being optimistic? :D

If this does happen down the road the...remember where you heard it first! (y)

7. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

I think at most the big 10 adds 2 teams, Nebraska and Missouri. Any other team added won't be able to add enough $$$ to justify further expansion. As we know, it's all about money. I believe the Big 10 teams are currently receiving around $20 mil from the conference .... Adding teams like Kansas, Pitt, Syracuse just gives the big 10 another team to split the pie with.... and with those teams the pie would become smaller. Now if they could add Notre Dame... Things change big time. But I do not believe ND will leave unless the big east starts getting raided. Notre Dame and Texas are the game changers.

8. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

Big ten would add nebraska, Missouri, notre dame and 2 other schools...remember they wanted to be become the 1st super confrence..

9. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

if all this happens i don't think the big 12 will exist. why keep a league around just for baylor, Kansas, and a bunch of crappy schools...

10. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Hmmm normally you post lengthy videos to make your points for you ;) ... I like this!

11. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Haha, at least I know the TF community is watching. However for this...I have no videos to prove the future...

12. dopeboy206

dopeboy206 Walk On

I am all for a Pac-16.

13. Geauxlden

Geauxlden Walk On

Not really digging the whole superconference movement unless it leads to the creation of a playoff system.

14. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Nebraska is going to the Big 10 but they have not offered to Mizzou.

15. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I doesn't sound like they are going to either. From what I read I don't think the Big 10 is all that interested, and rightfully so.

16. King_CEPS_11

King_CEPS_11 Walk On

Apparently if the Pac-10 expands to sixteen teams by adding the six mentioned from the Big 12 they will push for two BCS invites, one for the winner of each division. Then the conference would most likely choose not to have a conference championship game at the end of the season. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. It sounds a lot like two separate conferences.

Here's the link.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5270048

17. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

I was reading somewhere that the Big Ten is looking at a Syracuse/Rutgers package, which they are hoping would force Notre Dame into the Big Ten also. I think that was on CBS sportsline.

18. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Two seperate conferences that would be on the Pac-10 network.

19. King_CEPS_11

King_CEPS_11 Walk On

Ya I guess, but could they not just create one network that is for the current Big 12 and Pac 10 together and have the same thing? I hate how everything always has to be about money. I wish sometimes it could just be about the fans, the players, and the game.

20. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

Here's what i think is going to happen....

Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Oklahoma St, Baylor, Colorado to the Pac 16 and Texas A&M to the SEC.

Im not sure who else the SEC will bring in to get to 16, but i just have this feeling the Aggies are not going West.

21. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

I just don't see the Texas government letting the Aggies go on their own -- As much hell that came through when the Big XII was forming after the SWC broke up -- It makes the most sense for A&M to go to the SEC (even distribution + local rights = $$$), but I just can't see that happening without at the least Texas and A&M going as a pair..

22. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

As bad as I hate to say it I think the SEC is just sitting back and waiting. Every team in the SEC has a team they play on the other side every year and they're trying to figure out how to make it work with 14 or 16 teams and still play just 8 conference games. Because if they take away the Georgia/Auburn, Alabama/Tennessee, LSU/Florida games there will be a bloodbath of pissed off fans.

23. Masler

Masler Moderator

I think 16 teams is too many really...8 on each side, some teams wouldn't play others for YEARS. Let Nebraska and CU go if they want, invite Boise to the Pac-10 where they belong and get TCU into the Big 12 (Utah too). Then fill Boise's, TCU's and Utah spots with some FCS teams.

24. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

BYU belongs in the big 12 actually they were supposed to join but tex legislation forced them out and baylor in pick up tcu and byu two teams that were in the SWC and call it a day

25. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- High level sources in multiple conferences have told KCTV5 that Texas and Texas A&M are looking to move to the Big Ten Conference and have petitioned for membership, while the University of Oklahoma is planning on petitioning the Southeastern Conference to become a member of its conference.

KCTV5's sources said that Texas and Texas A&M do not have to include Texas Tech or Baylor in their plans. Sources told KCTV5 that there have already been discussions about the two schools entering the Big Ten and that the agreement could be made as soon as Thursday.

Oklahoma is currently working on petitioning to enter the SEC, but must find another university to enter the league with them, sources said. TMZ Sports has reported that Oklahoma State is likely to accept a bid to move to the Pac-10. Earlier Thursday, Colorado accepted an invitation to join the Pac-10.

KCTV5's sources also said that some Big 12 officials are saying decisions on which deals Big 12 schools take invitations by the end of the day Thursday, although the deals may not be officially announced. Big 12 officials also tell KCTV5's sources that some Big 12 office employees are planning to be without a job within weeks.

Those decisions would leave the University of Kansas, Kansas State University and the University of Missouri with Baylor, Texas Tech and Iowa State in the Big 12. The Missouri Board of Curators met Thursday and planned to meet Friday to discuss the future of Missouri sports.