Packers vs Lions Week 10

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Anthrax78, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

[​IMG]
    Lions Pull Out Last Second Victory on a Controversial Call Over Packers, 40-37
    The Detroit Lions have been living on the edge this season, especially against their NFC North foes, the Vikings and Packers. The Lions took two last minute or second losses to the Vikings, when in the first encounter against the Vikings. The Lions took a last second loss when coach Westcott elected to throw a hail mary on their own 20 and was picked off and returned with no time left instead of going for overtime. Coach Westcott took a lot of criticism over the play call from other coaches in the NFL but Westcott made no apologizes "I would rather our fate be in our hands rather than someone else's!" despite the fact that it would maybe come down to a coin flip.
    This time Westcott's gambling ways paid off for the excited Ford Field crowd.
    With a three-way log jam for the top spot in the NFC North both teams wanted this one badly and executed well the whole game. The Packers came out the gates determined to control the pace of the game with well timed runs behind the legs of newly acquired James Stewart and their always dangerous passing attack lead by Aaron Rodgers. "They are so hard to figure out from the defensive side of the ball because both Rodgers and Stewart command a lot of respect." Westcott said after the game "You may as well flip a coin."
    The first half saw a lot of back and forth action as both the Lions and Packers made timely drives and kept their defenses resting. The Lions greatly benefited from getting Jayrone Harris back from a shoulder injury. Harris lead the Lions ground assault and after a close first half, the Lions had a slight lead at the half, 17-14 with Calvin Johnson and Greg Jennings both having touchdown receptions.
    Once the second half started the third quarter just had some traded field goals then the Packers showed the Lions that they were playing for keeps and came out firing in the fourth, as both teams scored more in clutch time than the entire game.
    The Packers connected on a James Stewart run and brought the game within a touchdown's reach and the Lions countered with a kickoff return touchdown by rookie Joseph Malone-Huff, who had over 300 return yards for the game and giving Detroit a shorter field to work with. The Packers struck back immediately with a quick drive that ended with a Rodgers touchdown to Jennings again and a three point lead with a little under 3 left. The Lions however, kept leaning on Harris who got big yards on the Packer defense who were playing pass the whole game and then the Lions answered with a short touchdown run, and Jayrone Harris's second touchdown of the game.
    The Lions then got a break, when the normally ice-cold in the clutch Rodgers was picked by LB Nick Barnett deep in Packer territory and stopped the Green Bay offensive hot streak for the quarter. But the Packers defense stepped up big and held the Lions to a fourth and short and coach Westcott settled for the field goal giving the Lions a 37-30 lead with under two minutes left.​
    Aaron Rodgers had other ideas though!
    Rodgers connected on several quick hitting pass plays and worked their way into the Detroit red zone and got the ball inside the 5 with a little under 30 seconds left. Then, in a heads-up play, Rodgers saw the coverage and took it in himself and after the extra point the score was tied with 24 seconds left and 2 Lion timeouts in coach Westcott's pocket.
    Westcott gave the green light to Stafford to take a couple shots down the field. With 19 seconds left Stafford saw the full prevent coverage and used his legs to gain 20 yards putting Detroit on their own 40 and after an incomplete pass there was 4 seconds left, no timeouts and the groan of the Lion crowd as coach Westcott told his guys not to knee out. Instead of tossing a jump ball to Johnson, coach Westcott called an out-route to Walker Stream, hoping he could get out with 1 second left and maybe a very long in for Dan Carpenter field goal chance. Instead, the zebra's bailed out the coach's gambling debt has Walker caught the pass and went out of bounds with no time left there was a flag in the backfield. It was a roughing the passer, 15 yards and spot of the ball, which put Carpenter in range to split the uprights with no time left and Ford Field erupted has the ball just passed over the crossbar.
    "It was a great game from start to finish and to have it decided in that way cheapens it a little, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth." Westcott concluded "Any win over coach Polzin and the Packer organization is a big win and we play in the toughest conference in the NFL and I don't care what anyone says."
    Capture.PNG
    Capture 2.PNG
    Capture 3.PNG

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  2. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

Always enjoy your write-ups, Anthrax78. There have been some amazing battles in the NFC North this season, and the Packers/Vikings still get to play twice!

3. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

I know I'm hoping for this scenario below...​
    [​IMG]
    Of course the Bears are Mr. Orange on the ground....;) just kidding Craig! It would be funny if you won out and took it from all three of us.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Good game Anthrax78 It actually wasn't roughing the passer, it was a late hit on your receiver as he went out of bounds. I will post the highlight tomorrow.

5. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

oh really, I thought it was that. Its tough trying to remember all that in a game like that. That's why I need an elgato too!

6. dakota7

Yeah, that game was nuts. Like you said, so much action in the last two minutes.

7. Craig Brown

Craig Brown Walk On

That was an awesome read! Sounded like a great game! Hope I can pull an upset over either the packers or lions to make things even more interesting.

8. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

refs suck

• Like Like x 1
  9. dakota7

• Like Like x 1
  10. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

To think I will follow through on tackles on the sidelines so many times during a game and they call that? That was some home cooking for sure!

11. dakota7

Lol...yeah. is what it is. I'm sure at some point a call went in my favor that was just as marginal. You still had to hit a freakin 55 yarder.