Panther Spotlight!

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Jam., Apr 17, 2011.

1. Jam.

Jam. FIU; Sun Belt Champions!

Florida International Golden Panthers
    Tune in weekly for all of your Golden Panther news and notes all season long!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Jam.

On this week's installment of Panther Spotlight, we have our attention on the new LOLB for your Golden Panthers, Chad Edwards!

[​IMG]

Edwards, a recent transfer from a BCS school is finally eligible to play this year by the NCAA, and the coaching staff couldn't be happier. Rated a 93 overall by ESPN, Edwards is far and away the best player that FIU has had in over 15 years, since TY Hilton had that magical season in 2010. Coach Jam has been hard at work trying to rebuild this battered FIU program and now he may have just found the man who could spearhead the effort.

Panther Spotlight had the opportunity to sit with the new big man on campus, for an exclusive interview.

Interviewer: Hello Chad, thanks for taking the time to sit down with us today, I'm excited for the opportunity to interview you.

Edwards: Not a problem, I always have time for the fans...and you're getting me out of class today haha.

I: Lots of buzz has been circulating around as to why you chose to transfer to FIU...can you shed some light on that process and let us know why you made that decision?

E: Sure...My previous school was a major BCS program and there were a lot of talented players at the OLB position, so I wasn't sure I would be able to see the playing time that I would like to for my Senior year of college. I felt I needed more playing time in order to get my name out for the NFL draft, and after a bit of research I saw that FIU plays games against top teams like Mizzouri this year and I knew my name could get out there, even in a small school. The fact that FIU is in Miami didn't hurt either.

I: Coach Jam has gotten mixed reviews on his performance thus far in his tenure, and rumors may even be that he is on the hotseat even after a 4 win improvement last season. What is your opinion of the Coach and can he lead FIU to a bowl game?

E: I have the utmost confidence in Coach Jam. It's not the best situation that he inherited here, as FIU has all those contracts with BCS schools that they must play. Also, the Sun Belt is not a cupcake conference, contrary to popular belief. FAU and Troy are not only our biggest rivals, but they are also extremely talented teams that have proved themselves time and time again to be worthy of playing with the top BCS teams. Having to face both of them each season is an arduous task, especially coupled with FIU's tough out of conference schedule. However, I know the team is making improvements through Jam's recruiting and I have no doubt that he will take FIU where it wants to be.

I: Now the question everyone wants to know the answer for...what is your prediction for the season, and if the season ends without a bowl win, is it a failure?

E: Let me address your second question first. Coach Jam has made sure we understand that a season that does not end with a bowl win is an absolute and complete failure. Coach believes that we have the talent to go all the way to a bowl game, and even compete for the conference and he wont accept failure from his players. I understand it's my job to be the leader not only on defense but for the whole team and I am up for the job. I will put this team on my back and take us where we want to go.

As for predictions... 24-14 FIU over Troy. That is all.

I: Thank you Chad and good luck on the season!

You heard it here first folks... Chad Edwards predicting a double digit win over hated Troy later this season! Only time will tell if he can hold up to his word or not.

Tune in next week for the next installment of Panther Spotlight!

• Like Like x 4
  3. Jam.

The impossible has happened! Unbelievable upset for FIU to start off the season, defeating #21 Iowa 24-21 on a completely ridiculous second half comeback! Bedlam ensues in Miami and Panther Spotlight will have all reports, including player of the game honors and a full game recap by the end of the night! Stay tuned!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Shhhiiiiiiiiitttttttt

Great read....brilliant fucking idea..

Finally.

5. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

Great stuff jam.. I hope that reserved area is where you are going to write about your week 2 L to Iowa

6. Paytonno1son

Paytonno1son Walk On

Good stuff, been waiting to see your talents applied to extra content.
    +1

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jam.

Haha actually it's the victory celebration post for my week 2 win to Iowa (y)

8. Jam.

Updated my reserved post...check it out.

9. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits 352

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jam.

Upset City!

FIU defeats #21 Iowa in a thriller, 24-21

[​IMG]

MIAMI – Things have been different around FIU ever since the offseason, starting with the new faces littering campus, recent transfers from BCS schools. Coach Jam has been preaching confidence in his team, but I believe most of us have just rolled our eyes and not given it a second though. And why not? FIU has never had reason to be excited, and recent seasons with Coach Jam haven’t changed that. But for the months leading up to this season, Jam has insisted that this season would be different. This season would be the one where FIU became relevant.

Well, it seems he was right.

FIU is the talk of the college football landscape (at least for tonight) after their dramatic come from behind victory over the #21 ranked Iowa Hawkeyes at home. A win no one expected, hopefully this could be the catalyst of a magical season for the Golden Panthers.

The game started off how most games under Coach Jam have gone, with a competitive 1st quarter for both sides. FIU played a stout defense, but was held to almost no offense in the 1st quarter. The “new look” defense looked formidable for the Panthers however, led by new transfer Chad Edwards who had a couple of clutch drive ending tackles on defense. FIU also lucked out a bit as Coach GSU opted for a 55 yard field goal on 4th down, but his kicker didn’t have the leg for it, as it fell short.

The 2nd quarter was when things began to look grim for the Golden Panthers. Though they did get on the board first with a field goal, the Hawkeyes were quick to respond with a touchdown. FIU’s offense remained stagnant, being easily shut down by the stout Iowa defense, which lead to an easy touchdown for the Hawkeye offense to take the score to 14-3 at the end of the first half, with Iowa receiving after the break.

After the nice rest from halftime, the FIU defense played extremely well out of the gate, forcing a three and out. After some tinkering with the offensive gameplan, the Golden Panthers were able to piece together a decent drive, taking it down past the 50 yardline.

However, it was then that the drive stalled as Iowa forced a 4th and 12 on the 40 yardline.
    Coach Jam was at a crossroads. Knowing that the game could easily get out of hand, and another Iowa touchdown could prove too much for the Panthers to overcome, he opted for one of the riskiest plays in all of football – the fake FG. Choosing the play instantly in an attempt to dissuade any suspicion on GSU’s part, they set up in regular field goal formation. However, to GSU’s credit, he knew it was a fake and set up a zone FG defense, waiting for the pass play.

Sometimes, even the perfect defense cannot stop a well placed pass, and that is precisely what happened on that play. The 3rd string QB made a perfect throw, weaving the ball in between two defenders, allowing the receiver to barely make it past the 1st down marker.
    That play was definitely the turning point of the whole game. All momentum left Iowa and came to FIU, as the home crowd came to life in support of their Golden Panthers. With the stadium rocking, the offense came to life, and the offense was able to score a touchdown on that drive. However, would it be enough? Down by 4 going into the 4th quarter, Coach Jam knew he had a chance.

The defense played absolutely clutch yet again, forcing a punt from the Hawkeyes. The offense burst open on a 3rd and 10, when QB Williams made a desperation heave down the left sideline, just over the fingertips of a defender into the hands of an outstretched FIU receiver, for 30 points. After that the offense could do no wrong and were easily able to move their way into the endzone in order to take the lead at 17-14.

However, Iowa wasn’t going down without a fight. Even with the stadium rocking from the desperate excitement of the tortured FIU fans, the Hawkeye offense barely batted an eye, methodically moving down the field and easily scored a touchdown, to break the hearts of the FIU faithful with only 3 minutes left on the clock.

With three mintues to go and all time outs available, Coach Jam knew he could afford to be patient, yet he was not going to concede a punt. Converting 3rd down after 3rd down, FIU put its confidence in its passing game, using short yardage routes to earn them 1st downs. Down in the redzone, however, the Iowa defense stiffened up, perhaps out of pure desperation and fear of embarrassment. After a 3rd down pass fell incomplete at the 11 yard line, Coach Jam had to go for it on 4th and 11 with a minute to go in the game.
    As QB Williams dropped back to pass, the hopes of 15,000 FIU fans lay on his shoulder. The pass was thrown and completed, as a roar from the fans erupted…but they were short of a 1st down by about a yard. Heartbreak set in for the FIU fans as they saw Iowa take the ball with only a minute left in the game.

Hope was renewed as they realized Coach Jam had managed to not use a single timeout on that long drive, and they actually had a chance to get the ball back with under a minute left. The FIU defense once again rose to the challenge, stopping Iowa on three straight plays, forcing them to punt with 30 seconds on the clock. But would that be enough?
    Undoubtedly with his heart pounding in his chest, Williams took the field, ready to lead his offense from the 50 yard line to the endzone. Using the sidelines to his advantage, it only took 2 pass plays until FIU was in the redzone. With 12 seconds on the clock after a few incomplete passes, Williams knew he only had a few more shots into the endzone. Dropping back, he saw an inch of separation between his TE and the LB covering him, and fired the ball just over the fingertips of the diving defender and into the arms of Justin Treangen (pictured above) for the touchdown!

The crowd went wild, and Iowa was not able to score on a couple of desperation hail marys, granting FIU the victory.

Though they must soon turn their sights on Illinois next week, FIU has certainly earned the right to celebrate this amazing victory.

(Player of the game coming a little bit later.)

• Like Like x 5
  11. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

That was a great game Jam..

12. Jam.

For sure man!