Participation Points

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by JOEDESIGNS, Jan 2, 2011.

1. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

2. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ┬┐Te quieres naranjas?

That is a great idea right there

3. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

I'm sure @Pagamer07 (Miami) would be very happy you guys like it.. It's a great idea and all (I'm in that OD and what makes it work is the fact that we have 12 guys with no turnover and all contribute in some way or another) but it won't work unless we have committed guys. I'm sure some of you have noticed that it has been very dead in here lately. It really takes the steam out of the OD when there is no conversation going on.. Hell, I barely ever hear from some of the guys. I know Pa and I have tried to contribute different things but all of our work barely goes noticed. I for one have kind of given up on putting much work in here (I know Pa has also). I've finally come to the realization that this will just be a play your game and move on type of OD. I would love if that wasn't the case but the post's don't lie (a couple of months ago the Hurt Locker and Armchair Entourage had the same amount of posts. Now TAE has 1600 more, WTF). If Soda want's to find some new guys to make this a better OD then I'm all for it because I like alot of the guys here and really like the OD. If you guys are ok with the way things are going then I guess that's fine too. I'm big into posting and stuff like that but I think it has to go both ways. If some guys are only going to play their games and move on then why should I spend my time on different stuff here? The one thing I don't want to hear is the same old.. I have work, wife and shit like that. I work 45-50 hrs a week plus a wife and two kids that are pretty active and I can still find time to get shit done here. The reason I thought people join up here is the fact that want to play with a SIM community and bullshit about their leagues. I guess I could be wrong though.

I would like to hear what others have to say about the issue.

4. AJ Hart MN

@SodaAddict
    @ryalaman

Another thing that I was thinking about was the possibility of you guys taking over your favorite teams. Ryal has been a strong part of the Redshirts and maybe he would be happier here if he were Maryland. I know that would be a rebuilding project but South Carolina probably isn't in too much better shape and with the Gators only seemingly getting stronger as years go by, maybe now is the time for the switch.

I know Soda is a huge Tennessee guy and since he was booted by Nautica over in RMG for reasons only known by Nautica, maybe he would want in as Tennessee. I know Soda has said he like's Clemson but If he were ever to get another shot at being UT, maybe now is that time.

Just a couple of thoughts..

5. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Well part of the problem is soda's absence. The league can only be as strong as the commisioner wants it to be, and right now soda is pretty much MIA. Without his leadership, things are just dead and getting worse.

Like AJ said, I tried to get some people talking by doing my features, but the PPT system I have in the redshirts is only successful because we DO have people who participate. That was the reason I did it in the first place. We had a couple of guys who would do tons of awesome recaps, features, etc for the league and other people weren't doing anything. I had considered booting people to get more active guys, but I didn't really want to. They all played their games quickly and contributed a little on the forums. So, I decided to just reward the guys who did a lot of work to put our league over the top.

Im just wondering if doing something like this would increase the activity? Would people be willing to do more if they were rewarded? I still have people over there who are ghosts on my boards, so I am sure the same will happen here.

I like AJ's idea of taking over your favorite teams, and converting this into an "Any Team" dynasty is the first step in seeing who really is interested. If you cant find something to talk about with your favorite team, then you probably never will be active. BY also going to an any team dynasty any vacancies that do crop up are pretty easy to fill.

My personal thoughts are that Soda needs to grab ahold of this thing, and get it upright before it sinks. If not, then maybe he should find someone who can?

6. PAgamer07

Dont want what I said to come across as harsh. Maybe this is what soda wants..

7. Lobster Killah

Lobster Killah Custom Title!?

I'm in 4 OD's and I know that this is always the first one I check to play a game when I log in every day, mainly because I have my favorite team here. It definately makes it easier for me to want to play and be involved. Actually one of the biggest things that I was interested in when I joined here were the conference writeups that you guys were doing. I understand that you would stop doing them if no one was paying attentionn so I can't say that I blame you.

I'm actually considering cutting back on my OD's simply because they've all become the same thing, just pound out games and move on with no one talking or doing anything extra. I can't remember which league it is, I think it was but when I joined up I was excited to see the highlight videos and weekly write-ups but those have since stopped too.

I haven't been the most active here either by any means, I'm just pointing out that for someone who came in mid-season, it's been difficult to get completely involved when, like you guys said, there are only 3 or 4 guys who aren't ghosts.

8. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

If we're doing favorite teams. F....S...U

9. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

I wouldnt be opposed at all to a move to UMD if thats what Soda wants to do also. The South Carolina job has been hard because the cupboard was kinda bare, but I honestly think we can turn it around next year (with 5 freshman OL) so I wouldnt upset if I stayed here.

10. AJ Hart MN

Just wondering if LSU or VTech played their game this week??

11. AJ Hart MN

I for one don't want this to die but I think we either need to get rid of some of the ghosts or let them know that they are expected to contribute. @Lobster Killah, you're not the problem. You've probably posted more than some of the guys that have been here for 5 seasons.. We have some good contributors like JoeD, Fuzzy and MexiRican.. We just need everybody to do a bit more, when nobody posts, it just gets so stale.. Maybe we should set up a fund for Soda to get a new power cord or something.. lol

12. SodaAddict

SodaAddict Proud Hurt Locker Commish

Seriously. Just to elaborate on the situation... I am supposed to have parts coverage but my parents bought the computer for me as a graduation present and I don't have a way of getting the necessary information without going through my parents. Well, I've been home to visit the last two weekends and my mom, who would normally handle this kind of thing, is so preoccupied with other things that she can't. Figure out where. The paperwork is. So, instead of offering to buy me a new cord, they just keep trying to look for the paperwork. It is a very *facepalm* situation. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a new power cord only for my parents to be like, oh look we found the paperwork to get it replaced for free.

I have an older desktop that I can take and get hooked up, but I don't know the password to log in because I think an ex girlfriend may have changed it or something to piss me off. So, I will try to get it figured out and maybe I can use that as a substitue for my good laptop until I get this power situation figured out.

13. AJ Hart MN

@SodaAddict

Soooo.. What are your thoughts on some of the things guys have been talking about here?? I just really think we're in danger of losing some guys and once that happens, it could be lights out because I think it's going to be hard to replace 3 or 4 guys.

What did you think of a move to UT and Ryal to Maryland?? or opening it up to everyone's favorite team?

Do you want to stay on as commish or would you rather hand it off to another guy??

I guess guys just want to know if this league is worth sticking around for..

14. AJ Hart MN

Again, what's the deal with VTech and LSU?? Did they play their games or were they SIMMED??

15. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

+1. Soda my offer still stands. This league is too quiet compared to others.

16. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

@AJH

Sorry for my lack of participation this week. I just got back from vacation Sunday night and spent the day yesterday getting my house back in order and preparing for the work week. I am going to get my game in tonight (at least that is the plan) and if not, I will set to auto pilot so that Soda can advance.

@JOEDESIGNS and @SodaAddict

As far as the commissioner part of this equation goes, I don't think it would be a bad idea for the time being to transfer that over to JOEDESIGNS while you wait on getting your comp back together. Don't think it would hurt to have two guys watching over the league either.

I am always for switching teams. Strangle holding anyone into a certain team or conference always seemed like a recipie for disaster to me. Why not allow freedom and guys in multiple conferences. Teams will still get in games against users and the bowl season can be that much more exciting when you have a better chance at user matchups in more than the BCS title game.

I know I am one that doesn't post often but it doesn't seem as though many are posting that often so I never started. I will admit I am more of a play my game and be done guy, but if the league required or offered a bonus for doing the extra stuff, I would be more inclined. Also, I enjoy reading others writeups as well.

I don't know what the activity has been like the last 2 weeks, but I think part of the slowness is that we just go through the holidays and the weekends for everyone can get quite full. Hopefully it picks up again in the next week or so.

17. PAgamer07

I tell you what would make realignment the most interesting for everyone. A total restart, with everyone getting their favorite teams.

18. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

I'm up for handling The Hurt Locker, with Soda's approval of course. I don't want to seem like I'm trying to take over.

19. SodaAddict

SodaAddict Proud Hurt Locker Commish

One of the reasons I am not a big fan of going to a more than 3 conference split is because once you start unbalancing the equation, you have some people that have an easier shot at winning their conference than others.

I like the conference balance that we have now, along with allowing people to switch teams.

There are several leagues here where you can be a team from the Pac 10, Big 10, Big East, or other conference.

That being said, I am fine at Clemson, but I will take a look at TN just for the sake of possibly shaking up the scenery a bit.

On another note, I FULLY expect now to be 100% back by the end of this real life week or the beginning of next week at the latest. I think we finally got this power cord thing taken care of as long as they send me the right part.

Also, I hate restarting unless it's absolutely necessary. I would say the best thing to do would be to give it one more season to see if participation goes up when I am able to provide a bit more content myself, as well as some persuasion for the guys who aren't. I will look in to this participation points idea when I can.

20. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

Well...ok.

21. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

Soda, I for one really like the idea of opening up for our favorite team. Can we please consider this?

22. PAgamer07

Agree with Joe. Favorite teams and a restart is the way to go here. Who cares if people win their conferences. As long as we schedule OOC head to head games, at least they will earn going undefeated.

23. T Bird8239

T Bird8239 Walk On

I agree with having zero restrictions on the team u want....I never bought into the TFL approach that you have to be in the same conferences.....OOC games still give you the user vs user games.....and If we all are not in the same 3 conferences, the bowl season has 10x more great potential matchups. Also, I really dont care if someone has a so called easier chance to win their conference because of less user teams than another....the path to the national title will be as difficult as ever....as long as all of us have the same user games...thats an even enough playing field....Iam against starting over, if guys want to switch teams, thats fine, but I dont see why it would require a restart

24. AJ Hart MN

I'm not sure about a restart after some of us had spent almost 5 years with our teams but I have no issue with letting guys take teams that will keep their interest level high. We're coming to the part of the season where guys will stop playing NCAA.. We need guys that will be committed and happy. If that means JOE moves to FSU, Ryal to UMD and whoever else wants to switch then so be it.. We've stood pat for awhile now and nothing has changed.. These weekly discussion threads get about 5 posts a week. I'm happy at UF, Pa I'm sure is happy at Miami, Mexi I'm sure is good at Texas, Lobster is happy @ ND. Fuzzy @ Nebraska and NIU @ LSU?? Who the hell knows about BoSox, and Mboda.. I guess they could check in at any point.

I always have hated restarts and I think if at all possible one should be avoided but if everyone insisted on it I would probably be fine with it.

25. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

Sounds like frustration in your voice. lol.