Pass Blocking Attributes

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by GoGators, Feb 1, 2012.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Any of you guys care to share what you think are the attributes that indicate success or failure in pass blocking matchups? Every game, my RG seemingly gets dominated by the CPU's DT and I'm not sure why. My RG/C are some of my better OL and I have no idea why they are getting destroyed like they do. Is it just a glitch in the game or is there something I'm missing when looking at ratings?

2. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

For passing, PBF counters the defender's FMV and PBS counters his PMV. I'm thinking that our sliders might be squashing the play on the field though. Take a look at our sacks allowed from week 1 (and I'm basing my sliders statement solely on the stats from week 1 which is a bad thing to do). It was pretty shocking to see the sacks allowed by myself, Big Suge Knight, dakota7, Masler, and I think a couple other guys too. That being said, however, given how we all just bitch slap the CPU, I don't think we should change ANY sliders that make the CPU even easier.

3. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

GoGators, I checked the stats from week 1 and these are the sacks that users allowed to the CPU:

Wisconsin - 9
    Stanford - 9
    Arkansas - 7
    MSU - 7
    ASU - 6
    UofA - 4
    UW - 4
    UGA - 3
    UT - 1
    Ole Miss - 1
    NU - 1
    UofM - 1 (I thought Suge gave up a bunch, but I must've been thinking about MSU).

Can you imagine ASU (whose O-line is beastly this year), MSU, Arkansas, Stanford, Wisconsin all giving up 6+ sacks to CPU teams?

4. GoGators

I was actually shocked after playing Bama how their defense wasn't very spectacular. I expected them to give me fits. However I scanned their depth chart after the game and Bama's D is very average.....especially for one ranked an A.

If the sliders are in fact the cause of these sacks, I think it sucks. I understand we're slapping the CPU right now, but the game I played against NIU this morning wasn't fun at all. My passing game consisted of screens, slants, and go routes w/max protection, in the end I was still sacked a handful of times. I'll try shuffling some OL around, but yeah, the passing game isn't much fun right now in my experience.

5. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

This has been my problem the last few years. My RG was my top lineman but gave up the most sacks by over 10.

6. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

I think the bigger problem is that there is a major difference in how quick Dlineman are able to get off their blocks relative to WRs getting out of jams. There are usually a handful of plays in a game that I get sacked before my WRs even start their routes. The animation for WRs getting out of jams is analogous to the QB slipping a tackle, it takes way too long and leaves the WR unusable for a few seconds after the contact.

7. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

I think the problem is there are no double teams in the passing game. In GoGators videos, 2 of his linemen aren't blocking anyone. They shuffle and form a "pocket" but the center/guard never looks to his buddy next to help to lend a helping hand. So when the DT gets by on a 1 on 1, he has the shortest path to the QB.

I don't think this is sliders as much as it is just the game EA put out. Even in user games, a lot of guys are now using the DT to disrupt the middle and rush the passer because it's instant pressure if you get by the 1 on 1.

8. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

I was getting absolutely burned every time I tried a PA pass. Va Tech blitzed the house anytime I called a PA pass.

9. GoGators

Agreed. I wish I could do something with sliding the OL, but that thing works terribly too because if I slid my line to the right to "try" to get my C and RG on the DT, it typically leaves the backside DE free.

10. GoGators

This has been one of my pet peeves for years. This game has no timing or balance built into it and after what, 20+ years of making this game, you'd think they'd have that figured out by now.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Masler

Masler Moderator

I don't understand why I get sacked so much.

12. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

I wish they would fix the run blocking AI. The O line double teams the DL unless the LB comes to the line and most everyone plays a LB because of it. As soon as the doulbe happens everyone just comes running through the line.

13. GoGators

I've had this happen at least once a game. The CPU defense uses the 1-5-5 and calls that MLB blitz play. At the snap, the C blocks the DT and both G's look lost while the CPU MLB shoots the A gap untouched. I really don't know how EA programs this stuff but there's little logic to it.