Pass defense help...

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by hornfaninbama, Dec 7, 2009.

1. hornfaninbama

hornfaninbama GT: BulgyTexas

Pass defense help...

I am very solid in the run game on defense. I just held a user in an OD game to 5 yards on 26 carries. I have a very solid defense, but I can't seem to get the passing defense down. I have tried a 3-4 a 4-3 and a 4-2-5 and if I get pressure I give up a big play. If I drop into coverage I give up a big play. It gets really frustrating to hold the offense to a 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 9 or worse and still allow them to move down the field.

I have moved away from the spread into a power running game to try and keep them off the field, but all that does is push them to throw more. I mix up coverages well. I run zones, mans and zone blitzes, but I gravitate to a Tampa 2 on defense. I was wondering if anyone had tips on how to slow down the passing game. It is posts, slants, drags, and crossing routes that really trip me up. I don't mess with the game plan too much usually just leave everything at normal.

I had 6 sacks in the last game, and most of them came on plays where I only rushed 4. But I still gave up 300+ through the air. How in the world do I slow down the passing game? I know it's possible people have done it to me. Any help would be appreciated.

2. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

if you play well with the MLB or SS then I would go with Dime Cover 1 and play the MLB and take away the middle of the field or the safety in zone and just roam as best as you can. Yea, your goin to give up yards and should know that everyone at TF isnt really a slouch to play against. If I can get a turnover or maybe 1 or 2 punts a game I think I will win that about 85% of the time.

But try the cover 1 but it depends on how well you can roam the field with either your MLB or Safety

3. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Funny, I'm having the same problem lately. I think he's right, I think there's only two ways to stop the short passing game in NCAA 10 (assuming the guy throwing knows what he's doing)

1. use a mlb or safety like Knoles suggest and stop it yourself

2. Have such a good pass rush that they don't have time to run it effectively every play..get sacks, back them up and try to force punts.

But then on the back end you gotta be able to score 30. My magic number is 30. If I can score 30 I usually win...the problem is that I usually don't score thirty. (n)

4. hornfaninbama

hornfaninbama GT: BulgyTexas

I don't mind giving up the yards, it's just those long completions on 3rd and long that really tick me off. The middle is too wide open. It's great on offense, but it sucks on D.

I have learned that most people don't look for the slant to get open they watch the drops and time the throw to the gap. So I have started bumping in those situations and that has helped on those routes. I try to let the OLB get the slants and I'll drop a little deeper to control the deep crosses and posts. That has helped a lot. Even in a cover 2 you can get a decent bump, but it kills your d on those short flat routes by the slot or TE. Smart routing the DB and LB help too. Smart routing your base coverage into more exotic configurations helps also. I have begun messing with the zone coverage aggressiveness too, and that helps.

5. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

Lately I've been getting burned real hard by passing. Try to mix in some of those hybrid man-zone combo plays so you can confuse your human opponent. Those work well because they read man and off their play know (or think) one pattern will be open and bang he throws it right at one of your boys playing zone.

6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    This

also know your CB abilities...if they can press, decently strong...use bump and run. If they have great man ratings...play more man...they will cover those routes tight...just be careful if you have a good cover CB and not top end speed...you can get burned deep by it.

If your LB's dont play zone well, you'll get burned...you gotta learn your defense a bit too..

7. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

It's good to adjust your aggressive settings..

the only one I don't touch is strip ball, but I adjust "go for the INT/swat" and "tight vs loose zone" A LOT depending on the yardage and what the opponent likes to do..

3rd and 2, (assuming he is passing), and he likes to run something like all hitches, then I will play tight coverage and swat the ball.

hope this helps

8. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Personally I play MLB on defense...which lets me knock the shit out of crossing recievers...the key is to hurt a few guys early.:)

9. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I just set my coverage to 'Trip Receivers'.

It's a cheat code I found on the back of a KFC box.