pass defense

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by bdub, Dec 21, 2011.

1. bdub

bdub Walk On

Guys I am getting absolutely blown up by the CPU passing game. I currently run a 4-3 defense but spend 90 percent of the game in nickel and dime defense trying to stop the pass. Do you guys think a move to the 335 or something else would help?

2. The Dude

The Dude Professor of Dudanomics

I get roasted, too. There are times when the CPU simply can't miss. I run a 4-3 also, though I go Nickel (Strong more than the others, but I run them all) for 3 wide sets and up, Here's what I typically do:
    1. Spread the D-Line. It invites the run, and ups the pressure if the QB drops back. You'll pay if he runs a draw or scrambles, but at least he's not chucking it downfield.
    2. Blitz carefully. Safeties seem to get home quicker, but that's dangerous. I rarely send backers against the CPU.
    3. Play man. It's just my preference, but if I play a safety in a deep zone, I don't goof and give up the big play over the top, because there's another guy in coverage. But when I play zone, I seem to get out of position too much and then I get smoked. In man coverage, the other defender often makes the play if I goof. Man 2 deep is my most common play call against the CPU. It's safe, and it forces the CPU to drive 10-12 plays on you. Every snap is a chance for a mistake and a turnover. Tressel ball 101.
    4. Never go for the pick. I always miss. The swat button is much more forgiving, and it'll break up more plays. Again, less reward, but less risk also.
    5. Settings - I typically set big hits and strips to conservative as part of my small ball defense. Fewer broken tackles means more plays, more mistakes, Tressel 101. I'll switch it up here and there, sometimes getting aggressive near the goal line or if I have him pinned deep, but again, I don't roll the dice all that often.
    Now, all of this changes against a user, but against the CPU, it typically keeps me in the game. I'm not real good on the sticks myself, so it'a all about the strategy for me. This is kind of what I have developed over time, and it does pretty well for me.

3. bdub

bdub Walk On

Good tips thanks, I usually end up playing zone a lot against the CPU but when the CPU gets going it doesn't matter what you do.

4. The Dude

That's true, but sometimes you can make that 19 yard post route a 7 yard out or a short crossing route instead by using a safety to take away a read or two. I get most of my sacks rushing four and making the CPU take an extra tick before he throws. But you're right - sometimes he's just gonna go 14 plays without a negative and score. I just try to force as many plays as I can, and I usually can get a sack or a tip or a dropped ball to stall the drive.

5. bdub

bdub Walk On

Yeah a bend but not break defense is a good idea. Thats how my Utes do it in real life. Play man defense with a cover 2 shell and make them drive down the field and not make a mistake. Not many teams can do that on a consistent basis.

6. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Welcome to the SEC!

7. tbishop82

tbishop82 Walk On

I'm running a 3-4, but like you the CPU tore me up. They completed like 75% of their passes. If I sat in a 2 deep zone with man underneath they either threw to an open hole or the QB would get just enough for a first down with a scramble. When I went to a cover two or three they tore up the sideline routes. If I blitz they nailed the hot route every time.

8. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

You have to generate pressure via your front 4. I give up pass yards because of the high quality of the SEC cpu teams. But I tey to get them off schedule with a sack or some pressure. Get them behind the sticks then sell out to the pass. I don't blitz from my back 7, and play a ton of cover 2 to keep things in front of me. I don't have the best pass numbers but I can keep their score down this way.

9. The Dude

I have some questions about the 3-4. My personnel may make that defense a better option next year (basically, I got lotsa LBs and my DTs are good, but I only have a couple returning) so I wanted to ask:
    1. Can you get pressure rushing 4 if one of those four is a LB and not a DT?
    2. Can you defend 3 wide sets, especially on passing downs, with the base package, or do you need to bring in a nickelback?
    3. How does it perform again a good CPU run game?
    Basically, I love the run defense in the 4-3. I can shut teams down, and the nickel sets perform well against bot the pass and the run from 3 wide sets. Against 4 wide sets and up, both books are pretty much the same - dime packages are identical.

10. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

1. yes, but you will need to set your audibles to adjust to under/overs based on their alignment. The predator package is good against the run, as is the solid, which is basically a 5-2 defense.

2. You can, but you have to pay close attention to your OLB's zone attributes. If they are high you can stay in it. I would not try and stay in base and run man to man versus 3 wide. I typically shift to the nickel, when I see 3 wide and a TE.

3. It is great against the CPU run game if you learn the book. I have run it for 2 years now, so I am familiar with what blitzes work well in situations.