Passing Defense

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by SodaAddict, Aug 23, 2010.

1. SodaAddict

SodaAddict Proud Hurt Locker Commish

Passing Defense

This could just be me, but it seems to me like it is just about impossible for the AI to keep up with the user passing game post-patch.

It may have been like that before and I just got used to the AI, but everyone was talking about how good man defense was when the game first came out and if you have a good team now on offense, the man defense is just awful against about half the routes (Any slant, Any slot route except ones that go to the outside of the field, etc.).

Zone actually seems to work better when the CPU uses it on defense... but in user games it gets torched and the games turn in to a game of who can get lucky and get their defense to not fail for a drive or two. I've been seeing that over and over today against people online.

What do you guys think? Are you seeing something similar or are you actually able to do something to stop the pass?

Also, when you are playing games against the CPU, do you just go ahead and accept that they can't play defense and try not to abuse the routes as best as possible, or what?

I know I've basically stopped using Four Verticals altogether because the slot guy is almost always open.

2. Bulldog

Bulldog Coach Richt is my Dawg!

ya i had the problem against USER opponents before the patch...im gonna say 8 out of 10 times their outside receivers would just blow past my CBs and be wide open no matter what defense i would use on them they would still get burned and it still happens to me just not as much after the patch

3. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

I pretty much stopped using the verticals as well. It just seems way too easy. I've really been working on the outs but with some of the sliders we have been using it's kind of tough to get the needed separation to use those routes effectively. Defensively, i'm really having to mix it up against the cpu. I used to go strictly man but I now find myself using zone a bit more. I still seem to do ok but again with the sliders, it's getting tougher.

4. ChaoticUT

ChaoticUT Life is Orange and White!

Whats been working best for me is Zone Blitz, not necessarily dropping D-line but maybe sending a LB or S, while everyone else is staying in a zone. Seems like the best of both worlds, you get pressure on the QB but dont have to go man to man and leave DBs on an island.

5. SodaAddict

What I seem to see against users when I am playing zone defense is difficulty getting pressure, which leads to players running through a zone and getting open. I try zone blitzes some, but I don't user the extra blitz guy because it seems kind of cheap and it seems like the blitzing player rarely gets to pressure the QB before the aforementioned running through the zone and getting open deal happens.

Yet, some players I play seem to have no problem getting pressure on me from time to time. It's something I have yet to achieve with any kind of decent percentage from any given play, even if I only blitz two or three times in a whole game.

6. ChaoticUT

ChaoticUT Life is Orange and White!

Controlling the blitzing guy will give you a higher chance at getting back there and getting pressure. You also gotta be smart with the positioning on the field and where the blitzes are coming from. A simple example would be on a CB blitz. Dont send the CB from the wide side of the field because its going to take him forever to get to the QB. I usually send him from the short side because hes coming from so far away any ways it usually works out nice. Something a little more complex would be Man Blitz. Say a team is going 4 wide on offense with 3 WR on the right side. If your sending a OLB on a blitz you would prolly prefer to have the weak side LB go that way your not sending a LB on the side the WR are and making your MLB cover the #3 WR (the WR cloest to the offensive tackle) and your OLB cover the RB. If your sending the weak side then your strong side OLB covers #3 and MLB covers the RB (a better match up for you). Of course there is always exceptions and scenarios when this wouldnt be true/ wouldnt be the most beneficial but usually this is the most efficient way, for me at least.

Now on the topic of crossing routes in a zone, they are almost impossible to defend if ran correctly. I dont know who your playing with or what league, but for me running crossing routes all game, or taking advantage of slot WRs speed vs the LBs covering them all game, is considered cheese. Not a whole lot you can about that. I usually play with a S on defense so ill usually try and cover those routes with my S, but if they throw to the opposite side im pretty much screwed, but most users throw to the users side anyways.

My only other advice which is kinda trivial to some, is to try and pressure from a QBs strong side. With footwork and setting your feet so important this year ive noticed that if you can force a right armed QB to his left and vice versa, it really affects there throwing accuracy.

7. SodaAddict

In the light of cheese based on speed mismatches, does it not seem a little cheesy to user control and use the speed advantages of the blitzing LB to blow by the tackles? That's why I don't do it, I figure that it's more realistic if the AI does it. But, if no one else feels that way, I suppose there's nothing wrong with it.

Forcing the QB to his weak side is something I'm working on but it just seems that most good players are able to make the passes they need before it becomes an issue.

I am trying to learn how to user control the safeties, but there's no way to predict the route that's going to get open and when I do get my safety in on the route, I can't seem to find a consistent way to stop the throw because they just lead the WR in a slightly different direction and I don't make it over in time.

And it's not that I like, suck at defense or anything.. I mean, with a good team I consistently can go 17/20 or better passing myself against most people and it makes me feel dirty even though I'm making sure that my primary receivers stay my primary targets. Even trying to do that, my #3 and other users' #3 guys usually end up catching the most passes because the slot routes are so difficult to cover.