Passing the Torch

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Subkontraktor, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Subkontraktor

Subkontraktor Plays with Knives.

So I thought if anyone would enjoy this story, you guys would. My Madden friend and I don't get along anymore, and the other guys play other games. We did discuss having Madden Sundays this fall if for some reason the NFL doesn't get their shit together.

So my 5-year-old son has started playing some Madden. He watches me often, doesn't know much at all about football, and really likes the Bengals because of their helmet. So I gave him a franchise using the Bengals, and put the settings on Rookie mode to make it fun for him. He's 4-2 right now, and is improving. It's interesting to watch.

The other day though, I was playing one of my franchise games and was moving the ball up the field with short passes. He pipes in from behind me and says, "Daddy, just throw the ball a long long ways and you'll get a touchdown, that's what I do."

That statement made my day.

• Like Like x 1
  2. antcap24

antcap24 Walk On

Priceless.

I have a 5 year old boy myself that is into Indiana Jones Lego Game. The first time we played we stole an artifact from one of the temples, and the temple started to self destruct. My son starts to panic and yells at me, " Daddy put it back! See what happens when you steal! You are going to kill us." He puts down his controller and walks away and tells my wife that I need to play the game the right way.

Kids are great.

I haven't gotten him into Madden yet because of fear of having to share..lol

He has the whole " Its in the game" line down and loves to say it.

3. SatansAngel1104

SatansAngel1104 Walk On

Yeh I need my son to start playing sport games. Just seems like theres soooo many more buttons to learn then Tecmo Bowl Days lol

4. Subkontraktor

Put him on Rookie level of Madden, and tell him to press A to keep things going. My son's picked up on it a bit. He understands from his own experimenting that the pass will go farther if he waits before pressing A again. Although because of gameflow, Cedric Benson has TERRIBLE stats. When it's a run, he starts running backwards and can lose a lot of yards. But he's here right now saying that he won again... I think he's like 8-2 now.

Antcap - my son also loves the Lego series. We own Lego Batman (came with the 360 and got him hooked) and have also purchased Lego Star Wars. We rented Lego Pirates of the Carribean from redbox, and he loved that too. I've heard of the Indiana Jones game and also heard there's a Lego Harry Potter. I'm sure he'll want to try those out sometime too.

I can see my son doing what yours did in the Indiana Jones part. Kids are just too funny.

5. SatansAngel1104

SatansAngel1104 Walk On

Omg the Lego games are awesome. I love them myself and playing them on the xBox now is amazing compared to the DS LOL. I remember on the DS he couldnt do something on Indiana Jones and his cousin told him to blow into the DS and im like... Whatever... sure enough u have to blow into the DS to put the torches out LOL.

6. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I grew up playing football games myself (Tecmo Bowl, Super Tecmo Bowl etc) and I cannot even begin to tell you how impactful it was on my knowledge of the game and my passion for the Bills as well as football in general.

When I started beating my Dad in football games (this was Tecmo mind you) I was hooked for life. My dad literally threw the controller and said something like "im not playing you ANYMORE"

Lol. Good times.

Glad you guys are carrying on the tradition - when your kids start whipping you, you'll know its time to hang up the virtual spikes, haha.

7. SatansAngel1104

SatansAngel1104 Walk On

Or invite them to the League... lol

8. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I can see Sub now - his son plays the games but he's the GM. LOL.

Sr: Take fucking Cam Newton 2.0 - We need to sell jerseys and tickets!
    Jr: Pass rushers are a premium - GET TO THE QB!

Sr: Okay okay - take the Speed CB.
    Jr: I'm taking Julian Watson 2.0

Sub then elbow drops his son - steals the controller and during the tussle they manage to select an OG instead

• Like Like x 1
  9. Subkontraktor

I hope the Guard isn't D Potential.

I've never really thought about the day I'll retire from video games. That's kind of a scarey thought. I'm sure I'm already feeling some of the affects of old-age. Approaching 30, my hand-eye coordination probably isn't what it was when I was 20 and in my prime.

It's a funny thought to think of our generation getting older. I wonder how long we'll play video games. Will we be still playing Madden at 60 years old?

10. SatansAngel1104

SatansAngel1104 Walk On

Abso-fucking-lutely we will... unless they dont improve online franchise managing... lol

• Like Like x 1