Peace, Quiet, and Smoke

Discussion in 'The Dirty Dozen' started by Full Moon Fever, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Full Moon Fever

Full Moon Fever Champion of Standards

Waking up at 4 am to get the smoker fired up and loaded has it's perks. Happy Independence Day everybody.

• Like Like x 1
  2. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

How long you been smoking food? It's something I've always wanted to try but I know its more of an art than anything.

3. Full Moon Fever

Actually just started two weeks ago. Always wanted to get into it but never had the $ or the time. Tried to buy an old smoker on Craigslist a few weeks ago and the guy told m he had already sold it but I should just build my own. I looked into that and it was actually pretty easy and fun, and the same exact smoker sells for 400 bucks online. I spent about 100 bucks. Smoked a brisket last week that came out a lot better than expected and just pulled a pork shoulder off a few minutes ago.

4. nikpin

nikpin Universitas Brunensis

Merica

5. Full Moon Fever

Last night we went to Kaboom Town in Addison and there were some drunkards behind us yelling "yeehaw! We live in Merica!". It was pretty funny.

6. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Jesus I just woke up, fuck that 4am shit

7. nikpin

nikpin Universitas Brunensis

I was there and that was me.

8. Full Moon Fever

Yeah, 4 am is early, but its a peaceful time outside and when you have this for lunch, it's worth it.

IMG_5447.JPG

9. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

nikpin

Had my mom and lil bro in for the weekend. We went and ate bbq at North Main St BBQ with an 18 pack (website said BYOB) and my bro and I proceeded to get sloppy. I guess that place is owned by a Catholic church and we were the only ones drinking while getting all kinds of stares. Good food though.

sup with some leftovers? What'd you make the smoker out of?

10. Full Moon Fever

The smoker is really simple but extremely effective and efficient. I got a 55 gallon steel drum, drilled some intake holes in the bottom, put some bolts near the top to hold a grate, and put holes in the lid for a vent. Built a basket to hold the charcoal by bending some expanded steel (the diamond pattern grate stuff) and tying it to a weber charcoal grate with rebar tie wire. A Weber 22.5 inch replacement grate fits it perfectly. Used some bolts to fasten a garage door handle to the lid and put two small holes in for a thermometer and wire probe. I got fancy at the bottom and put pipe nipples and a ball valve in, but you don't have to. I've got my eye out for a cool bottle opener to add to it. And I'll be painting it pretty soon. If I had a plasma cutter I would get a Weber dome lid and add another grate to double my cooking area, but I don't so this will have to work. I'd like to get a drum dolly to keep it on wheels, but those are just as expensive as the whole project altogether, which was about a hundred bucks. It was a lot of fun and I am NOT very handy. I was shocked when my brisket was good. It's really almost foolproof. And Hammer, I've learned you can make things as simple or complicated as you want. I used salt and pepper to season my brisket and it was really good. I used a store-bought McCormick pork rub for the shoulder this morning. No injecting, brining, mopping, etc needed. It was really good. The advantage of the drum smoker design is that when the fat melts, it drips down on the coals and makes for some amazingly flavorful smoke. It's pretty damn good and if I can do it, anybody can do it.

You can google UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker) for more info, and go to bigdrumsmoker.com to see where you can get ripped off and buy the exact same thing I have for $400.

And leftovers are going to be great. I just wish the store wouldn't have been picked over so I wouldn't have had to have such a tiny butt. Leftovers will be great but should run out by Thursday.

Next I think I'm going to try my hand at making bacon from a pork belly. Supposedly the stuff from the store is liquid cured and the stuff you cure yourself is 1000 x better. I don't know how that can be but it seems easy and fairly cheap.

11. DirtycashDylan

I've been rocking out with my crackpot recently. Throw a pork roast in with some potatoes and whatnot and throw it in the fridge, and in the morning pull it out and set it to low and 9 hours later...boom.

12. Full Moon Fever

Yeah, we do that all the time when I'm working. But in the summer and since I'm no longer coaching during football season, smoker it is. My wife was skeptical of me getting up at 4 am to make pulled pork when we've made some good ones in the crockpot, but she's a believer now. You just can't get that smoke flavor and the crunchy black bark in a crockpot.

13. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

The crockpot does work. Throw a tri-tip or some pork in there and it always comes out good.

14. Full Moon Fever

Anybody else ever had a tri-tip? I think it's more of a California thing. I'd never heard of them until a few weeks ago when I saw a discussion on them from some other Californians.

15. DirtycashDylan

Nope, what is it

16. Full Moon Fever

Apparently a triangular cut of beef. Not real sure about it but on a website I've started reading, they talk about it like it's the best thing ever. Then an hour ago I was watching the World Chili Championship competition and everybody seemed to be using it for their chili. I googled and everything I found said that Costco was the only place around here you can get it. One guy got a few at Kroger but he said the meat dept guy told him it was only because they got the wrong shipment. It's piqued my interest. I wish I still had a costco membership.

17. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

LOL! I had no idea tri-tip wasn't a national thing. Not really sure how to describe it but it is fuckin good. ESPN gave their campus food tour best award to our Doghouse Grill accross the street from Fresno State for their tri-tip sandwhich. You won't meet someone from around here who hasn't tried it.

18. Full Moon Fever

It's California's Brisket, I guess.

19. Full Moon Fever

20. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

I too had no idea tri-tip was a southwest exclusive, I've been eating that shit for years.

But my preferred device to cook with:

[​IMG]

21. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

Shoot us a pic of the whole smoker if u got one Fever.