Peench's 2027 Mock Draft

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by I Peench, Jan 28, 2014.

1. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Jul 1, 2010
    As the 2027 draft approaches, many owners find themselves in must win situations. Due to a knew 5 year rule, certain teams must show vast improvement, hit .500, or see themselves relegated to the Nippon League. Obviously, this rule stands to have an immediate impact on draft strategies for the teams in jeopardy of losing their teams. The Boston Red Sox, Cincinnati Reds, Colorado Rockies, Detroit Tigers, Los Angeles Angels, New York Mets, and Philadelphia Phillies are in such positions, and will likely draft players that can help them as soon as possible. Of those 7 teams, 5 have top ten picks.

With draft just days away, we take a look at the projected top ten picks in what will be a defining draft for all of the teams faced with potential relegation.

1) Boston Red Sox

Silva 1.JPG

SP Francisco “Bijou” Silva

Seemingly no owner is more likely to be relegated than kdp - he has a weak roster, and is in arguably the most difficult division in baseball. Having just traded away future star starting pitcher Tim "Cracker" Clement for the big bat of Juan Pamblanco, Silva HAS to be the pick here at 1. Notre Dame SS Robbie Paul will certainly tempt kdp here, and could be a dark horse, but it would be the wrong pick. Silva has ++ stuff, and is the most advanced arm in this draft (which, unfortunately, doesn't have any very advanced arms). kdp's best bet is to rush Silva, get him up for next season, and hope he can contribute in 2028.

Silva 2.JPG

2) Los Angeles Angels

Paul 1.JPG

SS Robbie "Guns" Paul (Notre Dame)

Unless the Sox take Paul #1, which seems unlikely, the Angels will be faced with a difficult decision. Ostensibly, Paul doesn't make a whole lot of sense - Chris Walls is an emerging star at SS, who should be called up shortly. Also, it's unlikely Paul can make the same kind of impact by 2028 as an arm could. Given that Paul is Notre Dame man, a school owner Peench is quite fond of, it's hard to imagine he passes on him here. Paul might just be the BPA, and at worst, should make for tasty trade bait.

Paul 2.JPG

3) Detroit Tigers

moore 1.JPG

SP Kenny "Boxy" Moore (Vanderbilt)

Detroit is in an almost identical spot as Boston. With little MLB talent, a tough division, and a potential relegation, fmode will have to take whomever can make the most immediate impact. More has 3 + pitches, great intangibles, and absolutely dominated SEC hitters at Vanderbilt under Coach Tom Corbin. The southpaw routinely touches 95, and could potentially possess one of baseballs best changeups. The biggest question for Moore is whether or not said pitch develops fully.

moore 2.JPG

4) Kansas City Royals

Aquino 1.JPG

SP Adrian "Iron Duke" Aquino (UMBC)

The Royals will be tempted to take LF Walt Buckley, but a high schooler just presents too much risk for Bond at this point. Kansas City has one of the worst ERAs in the league, and no real specs ready to step in and turn around that rotation. Aquino lights up the radar gun, and has the potential for ++ stuff and a ++ fastball.

5) Washington Nationals

Buckley 1.JPG

LF Walt "Killer" Buckely (Bryan High School, Ohio)

Having gone .500 last year, Coach Noles is safe from relegation. That being the case, he can take a bit of a chance on the player with arguably the most upside in the entire draft, Walt Buckley. With an aging outfield and a farm system void of any impact bats, Buckley will look to become Washington's next Bryce Harper.

• Like Like x 6
  2. I Peench

Jul 1, 2010
    6) Arizona Diamondbacks

ybarra 1.JPG

SP Angel "Country Boy" Ybarra (Trinity High School, New York City)

Interestingly enough, a player with low intelligence comes from arguably the best private school in the country. Nevertheless, Ybarra is a projectable arm with the potential for 5 really good pitches. His 69% groundball percentage makes him an interesting prospect. While high school arms can be dicey, Ybarra has enough potential to justify this pick.

7. Philadelphia Phillies

SP Bill "Dode" Stanbridge (Witchita State)

The Phillies will find themselves facepalming at pick 7, as they need an instant impact player and there simply will be no one left worth picking this high - hence, Bill Stanbridge.While Stanbridge isn't going to be ready for a few years, he could be tremendous if he stays healthy. Masler will have no choice but to take Stanbridge here and try to rush him through his system, in hopes of him contributing sometime soon.

8) St. Louis Cardinals

SP Kevin "Iron Man" Townsend (Western Hills High School, Fort Worth TX)

The Cardinals could really use a few arms in their system, and Townsend is the best available at this point in the draft. Townsend has tremendous intangibles, and could throw three ++ pitches. He simply has too much upside to pass up, and could be a dominant #1 down the road.

9) Pittsburgh Pirates

SP Carl "White Wings" Fisher (Saint Charles West High School, Saint Charles MO)

Fisher, like Townsend, has the potential to be a top of the rotation guy. While he remains a ways away, Fisher could have as many as 4 dominant pitches in his arsenal by the time it's all said and done. That, coupled with a good groundball % and overall filthy stuff lends me to believe PAGamer just won't be able to pass up on Fisher.

10. New York Mets

SP Pedro "Black and Decker" Lopez (Toledo Christian School, Toledo OH)

It's been a tremendous turnaround for coach Drifter and his Mets, and it's been facilitated by an offensive explosion. The Mets currently rank top 5 in runs, home runs, and batting average, and have a bevy of bats in their system. To supplement these bats, I expect Drifter to take an arm. Lopez, though dimunitive in stature, has electric stuff. With 4 pitches in his arsenal, Lopez could develop into an exceptional #2/#3 with Hendrickson and Barnes.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Jul 19, 2009
    Good stuff. My system is lacking everything. BPA for me.
  4. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Jul 6, 2009
    This is not the time to be a #homer I Peench

5. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Apr 13, 2012
    Nice work I Peench

I think "Dode" could end up the best of the bunch.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Aug 31, 2010
    I agree unfortunately don't have time to wait for him.
  7. I Peench

Jul 1, 2010
    With that crazy repertoire, I agree completely. If it wasn't for his injury history, he'd be the pick for me. As it stands, he still may be.

I just though the injury stuff would scare people off and push him down.
  8. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Nov 30, 2011
    Featured Threads:
    Sneaky sneaky! Good stuff though, truly.
  9. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Nov 11, 2009
    Thanks for the writeup Steve. Although chances are slim I draft a high school pitcher :(