Information Penalties - Why they were increased

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Shaun Mason, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Since I've had quite a few people ask (some more sanely than others) I thought I would take a second out of my evening to explain the change and my thought process behind it.

My motivations:
    • Offensive statistics were still high last season.
    • Scoring was skewed high last season
    • Realism
    When I was looking closer at the stats, one of the most glaring statistical anomalies was that the league as a whole was converting on third down much more often than usual. The worst team in the TMFL converted at 38% and in real life last year that number was 31%. Of course, when you convert more third downs, you continue more drives and you score more often. So, I tweaked a few things in the sliders. Then I noticed that we have a tiny fraction of what penalties happen in real games. So, in an effort to stall a few more drives per game (to balance the fact we average more yards per play than average), I decided to nudge up penalties until I started to see something more inline with reality.

Last year in TMFL, the average number of penalties was right around 2 per team per game. I cross referenced that with the real NFL, and there are 12.81 penalties on average per team per game. Almost 10 more than we are having. Also, keep in mind some of the sliders for penalties are ineffective. I can crank Pass Interference to the max and it does nothing. I bump Roughing the Passer past 53 and you get 10 a game. So, I moved all of them except Roughing the Passer up from 53 to 55. There are more penalties, but many of them are holding.

Since holding is about the only thing I can increase to get more penalties, that's what is happening. Please feel free to track and let me know how many penalties you have per game. If it exceeds 12 per game per team on average I will reduce them.
    Shaun

• Like Like x 2
  2. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

I don't mind an increase but holding is ridiculous and makes me not want to run the ball. Plus almost every return comes with a hold call.

3. AzureEffect

AzureEffect Walk On

Thanks for the explanation and with that...I understand and agree totally but as Matrix said...Holding is annoying as hell in this game. I mean they should mix it up with a facemask, clipping here and there...every flag is holding but thats more EA than you can fix immediately.

4. capp34

capp34 Say Hello to the Bad Guy!

Only thing I hate is when my guy is a half of inch away from being tackled to the ground then the flag comes out.

• Like Like x 1
  5. antcap24

antcap24 Walk On

My thoughts are in line with the above statements. It definitely lowers the amount of successful drives, but it is increasing the throw to run ratio. When your 1st and 10 becomes 1st and 20, you will see more passing down and distances. Especially when holding is called far less frequently on passing plays.

I just wished there was a happy medium. I wouldnt mind 1 holding penalty per team per quarter. I think TEClemson and I are were at 13 in the mid 3rd quarter. 7-6 on ratio. Just really interrupts the flow of the game.

6. Gyrene76

Gyrene76 What does the fox say?

Jface and I had zero roughing the passers and maybe 4 holding calls the whole game.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  7. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

I'm pretending that some of the holding calls are others, because it's the GAMES fault that it decides to only do Holding. I'd rather see Defenseless Player penalties, illegal hands to the face, clipping, so and so forth, but the game doesn't appear to be there yet. I like it personally, and sure it gets frustrating, but in Shaun Mason's and I's game, I think it realistically only stalled 2, MAYBE 3 drives.

8. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Unfortunately we have to wait and see some aggregate data before we can make a good decision. It sounds like we're seeing everything from GOOD penalty levels to TERRIBLE penalty levels.

The only way we're going to get Shaun to change it is with data so for those of you that think the penalties are too high, make sure you're keeping track of them. Once Shaun has a good set of data to work with, he can make some educated decisions.

Me personally, I'd lower the holding 1 point. If a change from 53 to 55 made this much of a difference, it seems to me like 54 might be just right.

9. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

You ran for a crapload against me, even with the holding calls.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

My complaint with the penalties is that they seem to be back to back at times , and have zero reflection on the skill of the O-line. I have 3 line and who are 87 ovr or higher , in my game with Cheez I had 1st and 30 maybe two times ? I don't even remember my Browns IRL having a 1st and 30 lol

And matrix was correct , the number of holding on special teams is absurd.

I am all for getting the scores / YPP down , just wish ea had a better tool than what they have given Shaun here.

11. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

There have always been a lot flags IRL on special teams. Although we had probably 10-15 holding calls in my game with Matrix, none were back to back.

12. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

I like to keep it 50/50 on offense, our game I was 60/40 pass/run.

13. bawvu97

bawvu97 Let's Goooooo Mountaineers

Featured Threads:
    My game vs the bengals I think I had 4 or5 each most at the most inopportune times but I think irl you see the same data. I think I rush 25 times for 70 yds. If someone abandons the run because of a few penalties that in and of itself is unsim to me. We are two games into the season and folks seem to be making snap judgements I think his is one of those things we will need to wait until end of year.

14. Gyrene76

That's actually more realistic than 50/50 I'm the nfl.

15. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    No

16. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I dont mind the holding calls- it was the roughing calls week 1 that made me want to punt a baby.

Those didn't happen week 2 so I'm all good with the penalties.

17. Gyrene76

"Overall, pass plays make up 58.55% of league wide offense in 2011"

ESPN stats (includes sacks as they were designed passes.)

18. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    2012 by team - so far.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gyrene76

That is interesting as the run is heavier at this point than last year.

So the NFL average right now is 56.05%

20. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Yep

How many teams are around 60/40 though?

21. Gyrene76

Oh I agree,
    I was just saying closer to 60/40 than 50/50.

It's not by much but still true, however I was going based off last years which were even higher pass than the current.

22. SimFBallCritic

SimFBallCritic Walk On

Appreciate the explanation, makes sense in theory, but the holding is ridiculous! It would be one thing if the game would apply penalties appropriately based on actual gameplay,but the game just increases the amount of times holding is called.

I also agree with the statement about holding being called extremely late. I mean it's not a big deal, but it's a super eye sore!

23. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

The Lions! 63% Pass. Hov keepin it more sim than anybody!

24. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

Redskins keeping it sim. We moved to the pistol!