Penalty for someone running outside every play of the game?

Discussion in 'The Dirty Dozen' started by JQwon13, Aug 16, 2010.

1. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Penalty for someone running outside every play of the game?

Should we have a penalty for that? I think so...

2. xtreme snoopy

xtreme snoopy H4Y - Ragin' Cajuns

why should someone be penalized for you not playing good defense?

3. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Cuz I'll rape your face...

4. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

Well, I just made everyone sign that notice saying to mix up your playcalling so it shouldn't be blatantly obvious. If they are running to the outside 1 out of every 3 plays and they just happen to be working then it could seem like they are overusing it.

I don't know. I try not to do it personally but it's the world we live in. I've been talking with some other commishes and they've removed the ban on 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 Ds for that very reason and they seem to help shut down the outside runs.

As far as penalties go, if someone is constantly abusing anything than I'm Fuzzy on whether they'd be welcomed back next year.

5. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

It was used against me a lot. 90% of his offensive plays were runs to the outside...

6. Full Moon Fever

Full Moon Fever Champion of Standards

It's hard to say what's cheering without seeing it. It couldve been a case of you having the middle stacked. I don't know. Maybe your DT's are beasts and you've got everybody else in coverage. You can't really say it's cheese without knowing the situation. I know we are supposed to vary our playcalling, but the defense kind of dictates that to a certain extent. If I want to run the ball but he defense is showing blitz with press coverage and 8 in the box you'd be a fool to run he dive. By the same token, if the defense is begging me to run, I'm gonna run. Some of the varied playcalling onus is on he defense, too. If the defense looks vulnerable to an outside run, I'll probably run outside. If the defense doesn't change, I don't see a reason for the offense to change. I've seen plenty of teams in real life run the same play over and over until the defense adjusts. That said, it's videogame football and there are certain exploits. Which brings me back to the fact that it's hard to judge without seeing it. Got highlights?

7. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

I have no idea how to do highlights...But by the end I was doing everything to combat it. Running 4-4, spreading the linebackers...Throughout the game i ran LB blitzes from the outside and CB blitzes...It would stop him some, but then he'd eventually bust one. He had 4 TD runs over 40 yds.

He had 13 pass attempts.

He had 24 runs. 3 of which were to his fullback to the inside but all on his last drive as he milked clock. His running back had 21 carries. Only 1 of which was to the inside.

8. DirtycashDylan

Even if you could do highlights, you can only show individual plays and that doesn't show his play selection. I'll be keeping an eye on his, as well as everybody else's, play selection but this is the first complaint I've gotten on him.

From now on, PM me your complaints first.

9. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

I ain't whispering in back alleys... I'm puttin this shit out in the streets...

10. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

you're talking about ulm right? his RB has like 1700 yards........

11. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Exactly...Cuz he's running outside, every play.

12. TheCrumbIsHere

TheCrumbIsHere Walk On

This does scare me with my EMU defense..... :( In all fairness though, if I know that on my offensive line I have a strength on the outsides, with a week interior offensive line, I am definitely not going to be trying to focus my rushing attack going up the middle. I'm going to try to use the strengths on my team. To me, the larger concern would be this. Is he running the same consistent play or two to the outside which is causing the issue? If the player is calling a varied set of running attacks which happen to go to the outside, seems like you'd have a better shot of stopping it. Essentially if it's HB Power or whatever every play, then I'd have an issue...

Then again, this is coming from 0-10 EMU who has had everyone do whatever they please on them. So perhaps I'm just a glutton for punishment. :)

13. DirtycashDylan

And my RB is 2nd with 1400 yards and I'm pretty sure I play straight up. I'm just saying let's not put down the Jump To Conclusions Mat jUst yet.

14. Full Moon Fever

Full Moon Fever Champion of Standards

I'd like to point out that a lot of those yards were against me. His RB had over 300 in the first half. And I didn't think it was cheese. I missed a bunch of tackles and he broke some and was gone.

15. TheCrumbIsHere

TheCrumbIsHere Walk On

Played him last night, I didn't notice this issue. He played quite balanced vs me. I'll admit I focused a bit on defending the outside run with a number of blitzes, but even against my little ole EMU defense, I noticed NOTHING that looked out of the ordinary.