Penn St Penalties to Come on Monday from NCAA

Discussion in 'Between The Lines' started by Dru50, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

2. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

What needs to be punished is the culture that resides in Happy Valley which allowed for these atrocities to continue over a period of at least 14 years, and likely longer. The culture that is still finding ways to ignore the Freeh Report and defending Joe Paterno who not only allowed a serial child rapist to have free reign of the campus, but lied to the grand jury on his behalf.

The only thing that will resonate with these people is if there is no football for a few years. To the football players presently there, they should be given amnesty and be allowed to transfer wherever while retaining their eligibility for this year. To those who say that this is unfair to the players because they have to uproot themselves - get over it. They are grown men who will have to make grown up decisions. If they want to stay close to friends at Penn State, there are a few DI schools within driving distance of State College.

3. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

my opinion... this is all too quick

4. Cheez

have to act now to affect Penn State this season.

5. Dru50

This has been going on for 15 years and indictments were handed down in November...how much longer should they wait?

The ncaa's usual problem is they take too long to issue any sanctions usually. I applaud the NCAA here...there is right and there is wrong, and what happened at Penn St was obviously wrong and a message should be sent. Personally , if I were the B1G I'd be thinking seriously about separating from Penn St as soon as possible as well.

• Like Like x 3
  6. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I couldn't agree more. If the NCAA sanctions are as harsh as some have said, this program won't be relevant for quite some time. The big 10 definitely does not need this.

7. Cheez

The Big 10 currently has no plans on expelling Penn State, sadly. I'm with you both, though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. KnightNoles

Of course the NCAA would use this Freeh report instead of using their own incompetent investigators to do their own work.

This is a big lack of institutional control, but this is a CRIMINAL investigation first and foremost. Besides that how do you punish the kids NOW for something that started back in 1998? This was bigger then Joe Paterno, bigger then Penn State Football. The people that did this, they are going to get their time and serve, but what in the hell does that do for the victims? What does shutting down and giving the present players penalties do for the victims? You can say closure, but that isn't going to close that gaping wound.

If anything that needs more time to investigate is this! USC took forever for the NCAA to report and your saying this one is so clear cut and dry for them to go ahead and announce penalties? What about the freakin University of Miami case? Why are there not any sanctions or anything to come out on that yet?

Again the NCAA is fails

9. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

This is the strangest part to me, because the NCAA NEVER uses an outside report as the basis for their penalties, they ALWAYS do their own investigation, which usually takes forever.

10. Dru50

Noles, I'm going to say this as clearly as I can - this is different because the Penn St president, athletic director and head football coach covered for a known child rapist for over a decade to protect the football program. There is obviously a seriously warped sense of what's important in the leadership of that institution, and there is nothing an NCAA investigation will find that the Freeh report missed, since they have no more authority to subpoena individuals or records than the Freeh group did. Bringing up the ncaa's other failures (and there are many) to me is avoiding the issue, that in this case the NCAA is doing the right thing by sending a message that this sort of behavior at a university is not going to be tolerated. There needs to be an example made here, and if Penn St's football program is 'bombed to the stone ages' so be it, they brought it on themselves.

If you can't see how this is different than the situations at OSU or USC or Miami then I don't know what to tell you .

• Like Like x 1
  11. KnightNoles

It is different because it is a Criminal based case and since when can one man forego standard process of due process to hand down such a punishment?

I agree that their is a warped sense of what's important in the area of the program, bomb as you say but it isn't going to do much outside of the realm of football. The people involved are going to lose everything and serve while one (Joe Paterno) is already in his grave.

My thoughts and opinion on the whole thing: There should have been way more done by Joe then there was and he is at fault to a certain extent, he should have kept pressing his chain of command. Yes, I believe they didn't want the negative press around the University, but I think they believed they could continue to keep it on the hush hush and deal with Sandusky themselves, which that proved to be the wrong move. This consequence turned into widespread national media outcry when in hindsight, they would have been made out to be heroes if they came out with it late 1999 into the 2000s when Sandusky mysteriously retired from coaching.

Yea, I said it was different because there is a lot more involved in this situation then the USC and Miami scandals. Then again the NCAA is on their own case-by-case time.

Adam Taliaferro said it best though: "
    Whatever is decided-I hope such decision are made 2 support the victims & promote healing 4 ALL affected-and not to just simply punish PSU"

12. Cheez

You either punish the program or set a statute of limitations of 4 years. The latter is the uglier path. The players (not kids anymore, they are ADULTS - they have to make ADULT decisions) should be granted amnesty and be allowed to transfer freely if they wish for their football career to continue.

It shows that someone is willing to stand up for them when nobody would for years. Doing nothing would further the idea that football is more significant than child rape.

The fact that the NCAA is willing to act on this is commendable. The failure will only occur if Penn State is levied anything less than a death penalty.

you kind of hit the nail on the head within your own post. The NCAA is forced to use the Freeh Report because of the time constraints caused by the start of the football season. The NCAA doesn't have the time to conduct their own investigation. Furthermore, what more evidence are they going to turn up that a former FBI director couldn't? If they had subpoena power - maybe ... but nothing new would come out through an NCAA investigation.

13. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

I don't really see a difference if Penn State is penalized from 2012-2015 or 2013-2016. The fact is more information is going to come out over time, no need for a reactionary punishment. Let all the facts come out, investigate it, contemplate the decision, and then penalize them to the fullest. Either way they will get their due

• Like Like x 1
  14. KnightNoles

I might be mistaken but what does the start of the football season have to do with anything? I don't remember when the ruling for USC came out and I doubt we get a Miami one before the start of the season.

15. KnightNoles

nice multi quote that style always take stuff out of context... [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cheez

The only information that would come out would be more details about the cover-up. We might find out that the cover-up as been going on longer than 14 years, but I don't figure there will be too much of a difference in a 15 year cover up and a 20 year cover up. I dont think that any more details on what Sandusky did would come up, and even if they did they likely would not have any bearings on what the NCAA is going to do in regards to PSU.

Any punishment levied after the start of the season would have to take place during the following season. The NCAA can't tell a team in November that they wont be going to a bowl game the following month.

Other than that - there are financial issues that have to be taken into taken into consideration. TV contracts if they are allowed on tv. Ticket sales if they aren't allowed to have home games (a la SMU in their second season of their punishment).

Furthermore - the players need to be given as much time as possible to integrate into a new system should they decide to transfer through the amnesty that will likely be given to them. You can't learn a playbook overnight.

17. Cheez

Just answered your questions. Didn't take anything out of context. You asked a question - I answered it and quoted your explanation for it.

18. KnightNoles

answered to the best of your ability and knowledge [​IMG]

19. Cheez

A couple of sources are stating that as part of Penn State's punishment, they will be fined in excess of 30 million dollars.

This... I dont even know how the NCAA can grab at this. I mean, sure, the football team made over 50 million last year, but I'm not exactly sure how this falls under the NCAA's purview.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/22/us/penn-state-paterno-statue/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

One other thing that I hope comes of this is that the NCAA revokes wins from Penn State / Paterno. I can see them doing this simply to dissociate themselves from Paterno by keeping him out of the record books, but I am not sure it will happen.

20. KnightNoles

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-footba...nn-state-ncaa-punishments-penalties-sanctions
    • Four-year postseason ban
    • $60 million fine
    • 10 scholarships lost first year, 20 every year after that for four years (more or less an entire roster worth of scholarships)
    • Vacation of all wins from 1998 through 2011 (meaning Joe Paterno now ranks seventh among all D1 coaches in wins)
    • Five years probation
    • Penn State players can transfer immediately without penalty

21. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

I'm hearing on the radio that it is 40 scholarships over 4 years.

22. Cheez

ESPN just reported that as well

23. KnightNoles

Whatever puts them below 65, they can never have over that many

24. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

I know you weren't a math major or anything, but 85-10 is 75.

25. KnightNoles

I'm not the one who said it