Penn State Nittany Lions - Season 1 Report

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Big D, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Big D

Big D Walk On

Oct 8, 2009
    Penn State Nittany Lions - Season 1 Report

Coach Dunlap

2009 Record

Name of Stadium: Beaver Stadium

Last Conference Title: 2008

Last National Title: 1986

Returning Offensive Starters: 9

Returning Defensive Starters: 7

2009 Stat Leaders
    Passing: Daryll Clark 232/381, 3003 yds, 24 TD, 10 INT
    Rushing: Evan Royster 205 att, 1169 yds, 6 TD
    Receiving: Derek Moye 48 rec, 785 yds, 6 TD

2010 Schedule
    9/04 Youngstown State 12:00 PM
    9/11 @ Alabama 7:00 PM
    9/18 Kent State 12:00 PM
    9/25 Temple TBA
    10/02 @ Iowa 8:05 PM
    10/09 Illinois 12:00 PM
    10/23 @ Minnesota TBA
    10/30 Michigan 8:00 PM
    11/06 Northwestern TBA
    11/13 @ Ohio State TBA
    11/20 vs. Indiana TBA
    11/27 Michigan State TBA

Key Returning Players

HB Evan Royster
    C Stefan Wisniewski
    WR Derek Moye
    DE Eric Latimore
    CB D'Anton Lynn
  2. Big D

Big D Walk On

Oct 8, 2009
    Coach Dunlap Hold Introductory Press Conference

July 12, 2010

UNIVERSITY PARK, PA- With pre-season camp beginning tomorrow morning for the Penn State Nittany Lions football team, Coach Dunlap was officially introduced to local and national media outlets Monday afternoon.

Coach Dunlap, the paternal twin of the OMFL Jacksonville Jaguars head coach, makes his debut on the college state after a three year stint in Jacksonville as their defensive coordinator. He steps into the job with high expectations after taking over for the legendary Joe Paterno.

Here is an excerpt from today's question and answer session, held at Beaver Stadium in University Park.

Q: Coming from a professional football background, how do you think that will translate to the college game?

Coach Dunlap: This isn't my first time at the college level of course, but during my time away I feel like I have kept in tune with the direction the college game is going. I have many contacts around the college coaching ranks and they have helped as well. Honestly, with how evolved today's athletes are I don't expect too much difference between the college and professional game.

Q: How to you expect to fill the shoes of Joe Paterno?

CD: Well, nobody will ever fill that man's shoes. He is a legend, and will always be synonymous with Nittany Lion football. I'm not even approaching it that way. I feel my task is to keep this football team playing at a very high level, and improve in some areas to take us to elite status. That isn't going to be easy in this tough conference.

Q: What are your philosophies on offense and defense?

CD: You have to be able to fit a style that meshes with the personell you have. Now in the college game that is less true because you are able to recruit to your needs. However, I won't have those players in and ready for our system for a couple of years. So right now it will be trying to come up with the best way to make our guys successfull, and I feel like I am flexible enough to allow that to happen. I do know that our defense will be a hard nosed, in your face style that will be the key to how successful we are this season.

Q: Evan Royster, how will he fit in to your plans?

CD: Royster is the best back in the Big Ten, so it'll be pretty easy to fit him in to any plan! (laughs) But honestly, if I told you our offense wouldn't revolve around him I'd be lying. We have some big question marks at the quarterback position, and no matter who is the #1, they will be in new territory. So expect a heavy dose of Evan, but I'll give a chance for my young quarterbacks to shine as well.

Q: What are your benchmarks for success this year?

CD: The bar has been set very high here, and I know our fans except us to compete for conference and national championships on a yearly basis now. I'm not going to be that specific about goals, because I feel there are many ways you can define success. Is a national championship a goal of ours? Sure it is. But it won't be the make or break point for us. As long as my guys give 100 percent and compete on a daily basis then I will be happy.

Q: There are rumors of Washington State University expressing interest in you. How do you respond to that?

CD: First off my alma mater is a great institution that anybody who coaches there should feel fortunate. They've fallen on some hard times. However I am currently 100 percent committed to this institution and I'm sure the current Cougar coach is there as well.

Q: That doesn't sound very difinitive on your committment to Penn State.

CD: Next question please. . .
  3. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Jul 6, 2009
    Great stuff, Sdunlap!
  4. Big D

Big D Walk On

Oct 8, 2009
    Opening Day Arrives - Season Preview​

July 30, 2010

UNIVERSITY PARK, PA- Penn State will look to build off it's preseason tournament championship as the opening of the college football regular season is here.

Today the #18 ranked Nittany Lions will face off against Kent State at home. Penn State is set to begin a year with high expectations that are resting on new head coach, Coach Dunlap.

"The preseason Championship was a big boost to our morale," said Dunlap. "I think it has got everybody believing in our system a little bit more."

The most impressive part of their preseason run was their defense, who allowed just 17 ppg over seven games. Senior halfback Evan Royster ran for over 100 yards in six of those games, and scored atleast one touchdown in each game.

Without Wisconsin on their 2010 schedule the road is a bit easier for the Lions, but the schedule is still one of the toughest in the nation with non-conference games against #1 Alabama, #13 USC, #23 Utah and conference games against #2 Ohio State and #10 Iowa and of course an always tough Michigan team.

"Let's not pull any punches, our schedule is brutal," Dunlap complained. "Whoever put together this schedule definatey didn't leave much room for error. But our guys will be ready, you can count on that."

Column 1 Column 2
    Week 1 vs. Kent St.
    Week 2 @ #1 Alabama
    Week 3 vs. #13 USC
    Week 4 vs. #23 Utah
    Week 5 @ #10 Iowa
    Week 6 vs. Illinois
    Week 7 BYE
    Week 8 @ Minnesota
    Week 9 vs. Michigan
    Week 10 @ Northwestern
    Week 11 @ #2 Ohio State
    Week 12 @ Indiana
    Week 13 vs. Michigan State

The roughest stretch of this season is early, with four consecutive games against ranked teams. Penn State should be very pleased to get out of that portion 3-1, and even 2-2 would likely seen as a success.

The success of this season will be about Evan Royster. The senior has Heisman Trophy potential, especially behind an offensive line that includes potential all americans Stephan Wisniewski and Jonnie Troutman. Look for Royster to amass around 1500 yards and 15 touchdowns. Anything less might be considered a failure.

The big question mark is at quarterback. Young sophomore Kevin Newsome is untested and struggled at times in the preseason tournament. However there is no QB controvery yet as Newsome is Dunlap's guy. He has the speed to be dangerous in the option game, but he will have to be able to throw the ball at times to take the pressure off of Royster.

Penn State should take care of an overmatched Kent State team today, but the rough schedule shouldn't lead fans to inflated hopes. My prediction for this year: 9-3 with a potential Rose Bowl berth as I see two of the losses coming out of conference.
  5. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Oct 8, 2009
    Weeks 2-5 will definitely be challenging, especially since 3 of those 4 are user games!