Penn State Pressers

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Diddy81, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Penn State Pressers

[​IMG]

Coach what a hot start, what has fueled the fire?

Is Evan Royster the best back in college football?

Your defense came up big against SC, can this unit do this consistently?

As you hit the heart of the Big 10 schedule who will give PSU the most trouble?

2. Big D

Big D Walk On

1) Coach what a hot start, what has fueled the fire?

I think the momentum we brought out of the preseason tournament, by winning a Championship, really made us feel good about ourselves heading into the season. We were able to refine some things, work on others, and come out of there with a really solid foundation of what we want to do this year. The win against Alabama was really the keystone for us, as that really cemented our confidence in eachother as a team. When you have a group of guys this talented and this confident that is a very dangerous combination!

2) Is Evan Royster the best back in college football?

I would put Evan up against anybody else right now. He doesn't have the raw numbers yet, but let's face it I don't think anybody would after back to back games against Alabama and USC. But even in that USC game, he scored all three of our touchdowns and gained 200 all purpose yards. He is undoubtably the MVP of our offense right now. There are a lot of great backs in college football, but I'm not sure I'd take anybody over Evan right now.

3) Your defense came up big against SC, can this unit do this consistently?

I was in a successful pro system in Jacksonville for three years before coming to Penn State. The thing we prided ourselves on, and the thing that allowed us to be successful was always our defense. Nothing has changed here. It is defense first with this program and always will be with me. Holding Alabama to 17 points and then USC to 19 really made me proud of this defensive group. To be honest, I think they are the best unit in college football right now. Our offense has been inconsistent at times, but that defense has always been there. I think you will see that unit gel even more throughout the season and they will be the key to our success.

4) As you hit the heart of the Big 10 schedule who will give PSU the most trouble?

(Laughs) Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, Illinois. . .I could go on down the line they are all tough. You don't really ever get a break in the Big Ten. You even look at the teams who are supposed to finish at the bottom and mark my words they will beat some of the teams at the top this year. My philosophy is that you can't look past anybody. We have one more non conference game before we kick off the Big Ten schedule against Iowa. That game is pivotal to getting us on the right track. We don't have Wisconsin this year which could be interesting if tiebreakers are needed at the end of the year.

3. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Laugher against Iowa, how was your team able to dismantle the Hawkeyes?

It doesn't get any easier with the Illini up next, how does your defense have to adjust to get ready for the boys from Champagne?

4. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

You missed your last presser for a Geritol commercial I guess.

What were the keys to victory against Ohio St.?

What could stop this team from winning a national title?

Tell the country something we dont know about Evan Royster?

5. Big D

Big D Walk On

What were the keys to victory against Ohio St.?

Our biggest key was staying calm and playing within ourselves. We went down 14-0 early, and our offense couldn't move the ball and our defense was as pourous as it had been all year long. Their home crowd was into the game. This was the toughest situation this team has been in. But we kept preaching to the kids, to stay calm and just play football because we believe in ourselves as a group. I think once the nerves settled down, we got back to playing that Penn State football. That was a hell of a win.

What could stop this team from winning a national title?

We aren't a deep team, and an injury at a key place could definately spell trouble. Last week (quarterback) Kevin Newsome went down with an injury, but luckily Matty McGloin stepped in and played remarkably well. Other than injuries, we have still been a bit inconsistent offensively. Our defense will always be there. But I have a feeling there's going to be a game where we need to just go out and outscore somebody, and hopefully we can do that.

Tell the country something we dont know about Evan Royster?

Royster is one of the most balanced backs you will ever find. He has speed, but even in that wirey frame he is strong and has the power to run over defenders. But what many people don't know is his ability to be a factor in the passing game. Royster is our third leading receiver and has shown great ability catching balls out of the backfield. If he isn't a Top 5 pick in next years draft, I think those NFL coaches are crazy. I've coached some great backs, including Maurice Jones-Drew, but there hasn't been anybody as good as Evan.

6. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

WOW, better than MJD? Thats saying something, great job coach.

7. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Job well done coach, a big 10 and national title is as good as it gets, what was Happy Valley like after you returned as National Champs?

Reflect a little on the road traveled to reach this type of an ending.

What were the key points in the title game that gave you that feeling that things were gonna go your way?

Evan Royster, will be heading to the NFL, a lot of people feel he was snubbed by the Heisman voters, your thoughts and his reaction please.

You have been called a Cougar Man, the job is open are you interested and what would it take for you to go home to turn that program around?

Again, heck of a season and Congrats on the National Title.

8. Big D

Big D Walk On

Job well done coach, a big 10 and national title is as good as it gets, what was Happy Valley like after you returned as National Champs?

The place was nuts and we had a very special ceremony where the legend himself, Joe Paterno, spoke to our team and congratulated them. Most of the guys were tearing up when that happened, including myself. Win or lose, this has always been known as one of the best places to coach college football but I've gotta tell ya. . .winning makes it a whole lot sweeter!

Reflect a little on the road traveled to reach this type of an ending.

The schedule that was laid out before us this season certainly tested us. Alabama, Ohio State, Iowa, Oregon, USC. . .all teams who were in the top 10 at some point of this season. That's a touch road to hoe. However I think once we made that dramatic comeback against Alabama on the road our confidence rose. We realized we could beat anybody in the nation. So everything just kind of snowballed for us after that, and really both offensively and defensively we clicked all season long. The last conference game against Michigan State was the first time we trailed in any game since the Alabama game, but our guys just reponded well.

What were the key points in the title game that gave you that feeling that things were gonna go your way?

To be honest, we just felt it was going our was from the beginning. We won the toss and received. Our first drive we took up 11 plays and 5 minutes off the clock and cappped it off with a touchdown. We scored on three of our first four drives of the game and got up 21-0. Give a 21 point lead to our defense and its all over. When we saw Newbs a D-Mo playing so well, we just knew it was going to be our night. Even with Evan having an off game, it was the younger guys that carried us through.

Evan Royster, will be heading to the NFL, a lot of people feel he was snubbed by the Heisman voters, your thoughts and his reaction please.

I usually don't like to interject myself into award races, but the facts speak for themself. Evan walked away with the Maxwell, Walker, and Camp awards this year. The was a first team All-American. The guy who won the damn award didn't win anything else, and he wasn't even on the first team All-American list. There's no doubt about it, Evan got snubbed. But he'll always be a Heisman in my eyes.

You have been called a Cougar Man, the job is open are you interested and what would it take for you to go home to turn that program around?

Right now I am focused on the offseason we have ahead here in Happy Valley. I always have a fond spot in my heart for my alma mater, but right now I am fully focused on being the head football coach at Penn State University. I can't comment on anything else further.

Again, heck of a season and Congrats on the National Title.

9. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

How has the season gone so far for the Nittany Lions?

What has been your highest up and lowest down this season?

Penn State has not been able to pull in a top notch class since the Dee Williams class, how's recruiting thus far?

10. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:

11. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Great win coach, you came out on top in a Big 10 classic, who got it done for the Nittany Lions?

Where does this win out you in the Big 10 standings?

How was the atmosphere around State College after the big win?