Pete Carroll to Seattle Seahawks

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by GoGators, Jan 9, 2010.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Pete Carroll to Seattle Seahawks

ESPN just broke that the two have reached an agreement. Wow! Wonder if Jim Harbaugh scared him away???

My question is how does this effect college football on a national level? With Pete Carroll out, that leaves basically Nick Saban and Urban Meyer as the top two coaches in the country, and Urban is surrounded by health issues.

With Saban and Meyer both in the SEC, and the SEC winning the past 4 BCS trophies, what impact will this have on recruiting the California kids? How many more of them will be choosing to move to the Southeast for college?

Who will USC hire to replace Pete, and how will this effect their program?

Obviously USC is still the nicest destination in america located in SoCal. But this is a big loss for the Trojans.

As a Gator fan this is awesome. Ronald Powell, the #1 rush end, is to announce his commitment today and it's between UF and USC. Can't see him committing to USC without Pete Carroll.

2. GoGators

Another interesting point: Jim Mora, the old Seattle Seahawks head coach was the coach in waiting. After his first year running the team they fire him???

This might trash the whole coach in waiting concept.

3. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

You forgot to include Frank Beamer in your discussion of top coaches in the country.

4. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

It could shake up coaching scene even more in college football. ESPN seems to think Oregon State coach Mike Riley would be top candidate for the USC job. Sarkesian has also been linked to the USC job which makes sense due to his connection to that school.

Wasn't Harbaugh also rumored for one of the open NFL jobs? I think he was a lead candidate for the Buffalo job.

5. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

LoL. I love Beamer and he is a great coach. But he is not in Saban or Meyer's league.

6. GoGators

There's a lot of great coaches out there no doubt, and Beamer is definitely one of them. However, I'm thinking in terms of an elite coach. Someone who has won a BCS trophy and consistently is in the hunt. Take away Carroll and that just leaves Meyer and Saban on that level right now.

The other ones closest would be:
    Mack Brown
    Bob Stoops
    Jim Tressell
    Les Miles (maybe, but he needs to do it without Sabans guys first)

7. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

You guys forgot Brett Bielema.

8. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

I heard Riley wants to stay at Oregon St and Sarkesian is staying at Washington. I've heard the names Jack Del Rio, Jeff Fischer, and Herm Edwards thrown around.

9. GoGators

That's pretty interesting because usually pro coaches don't do well in college since it's completely different. You don't have to win over moms and dads or recruit in the NFL. Undoubtedly these guys would know the X's and O's side of it, but that's a small part of the college game. Just ask Charlie Weiss.

10. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

The reason that Fischer and Del Rio were mentioned is because they played for USC. Edwards is a California guy as well.

11. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I'm sure USC will have the pick of coaches they want based on the school's reputation, the location, and the facilities. Coaches may say now they are satisfied with atheir program but tune could change if they are officially offered a position. Riley or Sarkesian would be nuts to turn down that job, especially with their connections to that program.

12. luvtotha9s

luvtotha9s Walk On

How about JoePA...his record speaks for itself 394-129-3 24-11-1 Bowl record 2 National championships...and two more times they finished undefeated and got hosed

13. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Look at joe pa, still forcing kids to come to penn st

How can you not after watching that big ten network commercial?

14. GoGators

Yeah, JoPa is an awesome coach. I love that guy. Greatest coach ever as his record indicates. I don't really think he's elite right now though.

15. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

Jeff Fisher would be an excellent college coach. I think he and a guy like Gruden have the youthful look, energy, and personality to relate to the younger kids and recruit effectively. Charlie Weis was old, obese, and arrogant, not exactly the recipe for success in the college ranks.

16. GoGators

That's true. I couldn't imagine being able to focus on a word Weiss said while his large Gunt would be sitting on my couch.

17. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

That's going to be a HOT job. I couldn't understand why Pete Carrol would leave USC until I saw his contract 5 years 35 million...sweet.

18. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

yep the money is sick. Plus he won't have to deal with the fall out over Bush and/or McKnight if that stuff becomes an issue.

USC wants Reilly from the Beavs. Can't beleive Sark said he's not interested. Fisher or Del Rio would be next. If those all fall through, would they go after Lane, lolololol

19. GoGators

Yeah, I won't be surprised at all if a lot of stuff comes out now about McKnight and the Bush. It'll be just like when Calipari left Memphis.

20. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Are people saying Capatain comeback (harbaugh)?