Philadelphia: The Road to .500

Discussion in 'Team News' started by Masler, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Masler

Masler Moderator

Beginning with this offseason the Phillies will chronicle their last ditch effort to reach .500 in order to remain in the Majors. Looks like their goal record is: 81-81

• Like Like x 2
  2. Masler

Masler Moderator

Well the acquisition of CL Dustin Wheeler was reversed. But the Phillies have made a lot of splashes elsewhere.

The first was a waiver pickup in SP Ken Klingenberg. He isn't exactly suited for Citizens Bank groundball % wise but was picked up mainly for the purpose of having someone to call up if we had no one else.

The second was a trade that send SS Ricardo Mata to the Diamonds while receiving SP Vincente Vega and MR Jorge Quintana in return. Both are solid pitchers, Quintana especially as he brings a solid GB% to the bullpen.

The third was a couple of pickups in the FA Scene with SP Felix Sterling and 2B Carlos Mendoza. Mendoza provides a bit of spark in the lineup and consistency on defense. Felix used to be part of division rival Washington and has been a solid pitcher for a while now. Both of these players are criticized as being overpaid but at this point, it does not matter.

Another trade (actually two) brought two solid starters for the Phillies and solid backup 2B. RF Jesus Fernandez will start right away and crushed the ball the past few seasons in a pitcher friendly park, one can only hope he could possibly double that in a hitter friendly park such as Citizens. SP Parker Petree will also bring a solid arm to the rotation with his impressive GB% of 70. And finally 2B Roy Nance will be backup for Mendoza, Nance has a decent skills all around. In return for these the Phillies send a slew of prospects.

And last but not least, Philly and Oakland made a deal that involved Roberto Gabriel coming to town while four more prospects were sent out West.

While many prospects were traded away, the Phillies gained an impressive 12.8 in WAR this offseason and gained several starting players to help this team reach .500. We may not be a contender but I am confident we can possibly surpass .500 this season.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Masler

Masler Moderator

Spring Training/Sim #1

Two words: Not kind.

Where do I begin? The injuries were just piled up one after another.

LF Cade Patton injured his hamstring and will be out for about 3 weeks
    SS Jose Chavez injured his rotator cuff and will be out for about 6 weeks
    RF Jesus Fernandez tore his labrum (shoulder) resulting in a career ending injury
    2B Carlos Mendoza tore his hamstring and will be out for about 6 weeks
    SS Alex Rancourt has a bone spur in his elbow and will miss about 6 weeks
    RF Romain Vignal sprained his ankle and will miss 5-6 weeks
    SP Jesse Biddle has elbow tendinitis and will be out about 4 weeks

Some of these injuries, especially the Fernandez one really crippled this lineup. Six of these players were starting. The only one that wasn't starting (Vignal) would have replaced either Patton or Fernandez but was also injured. This hurt us defensively also, crippling mostly our infield.

On top of this, Sim #1 did not end up well as the Phillies went 2-6 including an embarrassing 17-8 loss to the Marlins. There were only two gems and they came from SP Gabriel and SP Petree, both had great outings.

The good news is Patton, Chavez, Mendoza, and Vignal will enter rehab after Sim #2.

4. Masler

Masler Moderator

Yeah I know I didn't keep up with this like I said I would but with the Demotion Magic # being 81 and me having 78 losses as of the most recent sim, demotion is imminent. I'll finish out this season to get the best record that I can and while I dislike the idea immensely..I will accept demotion and work my way back to the ML. I really loved the Phillies and really let them down. I was just beginning to get a real understanding of this game.

• Like Like x 3