Pirates AHOY!!!

Discussion in 'Zeros to Heroes' started by Zikry, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Pirates AHOY!!!

[​IMG]

Come here for all the news and notes for YOUR ECU Pirates!!

More to come very soon...

2. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

ECU INTRODUCES NEW COACH

After a dismal season in which the team had a 4-6 record, the powers that be at ECU felt that it was time for a change. Instead of waiting until the offseason to look for a potential coach, ECU decided that they had to act quickly in order to ensure that they could find their guy. With that said, ECU have agreed a 2 year deal with Karim Zikry, a relative new comer to the coaching scene. Many an eyebrow were raised after this announcement, and we here at Pirates AHOY had a sit down with the coach to find out more about him:

Q: Coach Zikry, were you surprised that ECU reached out to you and asked you to come in right now, rather than just wait until the offseason?

Not at all actually. I felt that if I were to come in right now, I could use these last 2 games to my advantage in order to see exactly what type of guys we have over here. Granted there are some guys who won't be here next year, especially those in the graduating class, but I felt like it would be to both my and the team's advantage to come in right now.

Q: Coming in with only 2 games left in the season, what can you really do to improve the team right now?

Well, in all honestly I'm just here to see what this team is made of. I've already talked to a couple of the guys and they seem like stand up quality people. All I want to bring into these last two games is the belief that we can go out there on every Saturday and be competitive. Watching some of the games this year it seemed like the team gave up, and that will NOT happen while I am here, and that is a guarantee.

Q: Although you have only been here for a fairly short period, can you tell us about your initial impression on the team?

Sure. I'm a defensive minded coach so give me a grind it out 10-6 game over a 35-31 game any day. With that said I made sure that the first guy I talked to was middle linebacker Justin Jones. Jones is currently a sophomore but I can already see that he is the leader of this defense. I'm ecstatic to see what he can do up close and personal in these final 2 games and can't believe that I will have the opportunity to have him around for 2 more years. I already knew what kind of an impact player he was watching the film, but sitting down and having a conversation with him I realized this boy has a strong head on his shoulders, and it will be a pleasure to watch him grow in the coming years.

Q: As a defensive coach, are you concerned by the departure of your two corners next year, Emanuel Davis and Derek Blacknall, who will both be graduating?

Anytime you lose your top two guys in any position it will be a cause for concern. As of this moment, Leonard Paulk the junior will be asked to take over the leadership role once Davis and Blacknall graduate. However, we do have a bunch of exciting freshmen this year in Pete Burch, Pat Shuler and Tyrell Brooks who will all be looking at getting some quality starting time next year. Add to that the fine recruits that the team have already agreed terms with and I'm not worried about the corner position at all.

Q: Speaking of seniors leaving, it seems like your wide receiving core is going to take a huge hit with the top three guys all scheduled to graduate. How do you plan on replacing the productivity of Darryl Freeney, Michael Bowman and Joe Womack?

To tell you the truth that is probably the one area where the guys who will be left will have to step up the most. The top 3 guys on the depth chart will all be leaving, but judging from what I have already seen from Carter Gagnon, the sophomore, he seems like someone who is ready to step it up and be that #1 guy instead of Freeney. Also Reese Wiggins the junior was slated as the #5 guy this whole year, but from what I have seen he is also ready to step up and be that #2 guy. He is a reliable catcher of the ball and even has a knack for the spectacular at times. I'm sure he will be a household name around these parts come next year.

Something else I would like to add as pertains to the offense, is why does this team have 8 QBs on their roster?? Brad Wornick the junior is the undoubted starter here, and will be for his senior year here too that I have no doubt. He is backed up by another junior in Rio Johnson and a sophomore by the name of Josh Jordan who has really been impressing me in the short time I have been here. But after that, there are a bunch of guys here who will probably never get any playing time, and I think that is unfair to these kids. Dominique Davis will be entering his senior year next year and will probably graduate without playing a snap next year. Then there are a whole bunch of freshmen on this team like Desi Brown, Laurence Leonard, Gary Daugherty and George Williams who will not be looked at for any of the top 3 spots until their junior years when both Wornick and Rio would have graduated. I just think it's unfair to these kids as many of them would have the opportunity to start somewhere else, but are instead buried deep on our depth chart. That is something I will be looking to changing come next year.

Thanks for answering all our questions and good luck in your first game against Navy.

3. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

[​IMG]

ECU Welcomes New Coach With 41-7 beatdown of Navy​

In a week full of uncertainties following the announcement of their new coach, the ECU Pirates (4-6) were on the road this week to face Navy. Given little time to get a plan into place, Coach Zikry preached one thing before the game and that was that everyone on defense was to be held accountable for their gap responsibilities. "Coming into this game I barely had any time to talk with these guys. I knew that Navy lived and died with their option scheme so I told everyone on defense to keep containment and to not to try and be superman tonight. If the play looked like it was going one way just stay in containment and make sure that your side of the field was covered, and have the confidence in the other 10 guys on the field that they would come up with the tackle"

The first quarter started off slow for both sides, as the defenses stood firm not allowing any points to be scored. However, the 2nd quarter was all ECU as they rattled off 21 unanswered points. First, Brad Wornick was able to lead ECU on a successful drive mixing in some runs and passes before finding backup TE, Jeff Moore, on a slant route to the left for a 19 yard score (highlight available on hub). Navy came out on the ensuing drive and on 2nd and long decided to call the option keeper for QB Kriss Proctor, but the Pirates were ready for it. MLB Justin Jones came unblocked and laid a huge hit on Proctor, causing him to fumble the ball which was recovered by ECU (available on hub). The Pirates' offense would capitalize on the short field as Wornick threw his second TD on the day, this time to his #1 TE, Justin Jones (yes apparently my starting TE AND MLB have the same name, lol) for a 4 yard score (available on hub). On Navy's very next possession, and facing 3rd and long, Proctor dropped back and looked to hit his man down the sidelines, but instead only found the waiting arms of Pirate SS Devon Wallace, who took it back 36 yards for the score (believe this one is on the hub too). That would be all the scoring in this half as the Pirates took a 21-0 lead into the break.

The 3rd quarter was more of the same from the Pirates, as they continued to dominate on both sides of the ball. First, a 19 yard FG from Ben Ryan made the score 24-0 before Wornick ended this as a contest with 28 seconds left in the 3rd as he found Carter Gagnon on a 7 yard pass play to push the lead to 31-0. On the ensuing kickoff things got even worse for Navy as their kick returner fumbled the ball, which was scooped up by ROLB Lamar McLendon for the 14 yard return for a touchdown (available on hub) as ECU closed out the 3rd quarter up 38-0.

The 4th quarter was all about ECU running the ball, and Navy trying to give their fans something to be happy about by not being shut out. With 4:35 left in the game Navy were finally able to get their first score of the game as Proctor threw the ball up in the endzone, and rather than batting it to the ground, a Pirate defender batted the ball right into the grateful hands of HB Aaron Santiago for the 35 yard touchdown catch. The Pirates would add another FG late in the game, this one from 46 yards out, for the final score of 41-7.

Game Notes:

*Brad Wornick, after a slow start to the game, ended the night 17-23 passing for 189 yards and 3 scores.

*The ECU defense really held Proctor in check the entire night, as he tried the option keeper 17 times, only gaining a grand total of 2 yards in the process. (Proctor did have 2 runs of 10+ yards on the day)

*The ECU run game couldn't get much going, but some of that might be due to the fact that many of those runs came in the 2nd half with the game already settled. Michael Dobson was only able to gain 66 yards from his 26 carries, something that the coaching staff will look to vastly improve upon next week.

Next week the ECU Pirates (5-6) play their regular season finale, at home to UAB.

4. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Elite Pirate

[​IMG]

*Every Game Week the standout offensive and defensive ECU players will be naled as the "Elite Pirates" of the Week.
    /SIZE]

Season 2, Week 12: ECU 41 Navy 7

[​IMG]
    Offense -> QB Brad Wornick: 17-23, 189 yards, 3 TDs 0 INTs.

[​IMG]
    Defense -> CB Emanuel Davis: 3 tackles, 2 ints.

Season 2, Week 13: ECU 45 UAB 7

[​IMG]
    Offense -> QB Brad Wornick: 13-21, 301 yards, 3 TDs O INTs.

[​IMG]
    Defense -> DE Steve Spence: 6 tackles, 1 FF.

Season 3, Week 2: ECU 23 INDIANA 14

[​IMG]
    Offense -> HB Matt Brown: 26 attempts, 104 yards, 1 TD. 2 Catches, 22 yards

[​IMG]
    Defense -> DE Michael Byrd: 2 tackles, 2 sacks.

Season 3, Week 3: ECU 31 Fresno State 13

[​IMG]
    Offense -> HB Matt Brown: 18 attempts, 80 yards, 2 TDs. 2 Catches, 17 yards

[​IMG]
    Defense -> MLB Justin Jones: 14 tackles

5. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

[​IMG]

ECU 45 UAB 7: Victory For Pirates Makes them Bowl-Eligible as they End the Year 6-6

East Carolina

Week 13 was a week of mixed emotions for the fans of ECU. On the one hand, they were filled with excitement as they got to welcome Coach Zikry to his home debut, but on the other hand, with this being the last game on the schedule, the fans knew that football season was coming to a close for yet another year. With a full week under his belt, Zikry felt like he knew a lot more about his team than before the Navy game, and felt like the team deserved to give their fans a show they would remember. Said Coach after the game,"this game was a complete team effort, and hopefully is a sign of things to come next year. This team started the season 0-4, and to go 6-2 in their last 8 games shows that this team has character. I was lucky enough to come in these last couple of games and guide these boys to victory, but in all honesty, it was their fire and determination that got us these wins. They make this coaching job look easier than it is when they put out an outstanding effort like they did tonight".

Onto the recap!

UAB won the toss and decided to receive, but their first drive wouldn't last long as TE Ed Pruitt caught a ball for a 9 yard gain before getting pummeled by the ECU defense, causing him to fumble the ball which was recovered by the Pirates (highlight on hub). Given the great field position Brad Wornick wasted no time in taking advantage as he found his WR Reese Wiggins for a 20 yard score to put ECU up 7-0 (highlight on hub). The ECU offense would start off red hot in this game, scoring in all 3 of their first quarter drives as Wornick found HB Michael Dobson in the flats after reading the UAB blitz beautifully, and the HB took care of the rest as he raced down the sideline for a 56 yard score. Dobson would get his second touchdown on the day with 2:19 left in the 1st quarter on a 1 yard run to put the Pirates up 21-0 afer 1.

The 2nd quarter was more of the same as the no-huddle offense of UAB kept faltering, meaning that they were just giving ECU more time to score when they had the ball. ECU would add 17 more points in the 2nd quarter. First, Wornick threw his 3rd TD on the day as he found WR Carter Gagnon for a 56 yard score. Add on to that a 41 yard FG by Ben Ryan and a 3 yard run by Alex Owah (Dobson was injured by this point and missed the rest of the game. For some reason ECU feels the need to have 8 QBs but only 2 recognized HBs so for the remainder of the game Owah was the only recognized HB and WR Gagnon actually had to step in and take 7 carries in the 2nd half as ECU ran out the clock the entire 2nd half). At the end of the half the Pirates had a commanding 38-0 lead.

As stated earlier the entire 2nd half was all about milking the clock by running the ball. UAB's failure at getting anything done on offense while constantly going back to the no huddle offense meant that the clock wasn't allowed to run as quickly as Coach Zikry would have wanted. He said after the game "well the game was really pretty much over by halftime. I told the guys to go out there and just show me what the running game can do. Especially with Dobson going out injured in the 1st half I wanted to see what Owah was capable of at the HB position, especially knowing the fact that the entire stadium, including the UAB defense, knew that we were going to constantly run the ball down their throats in the 2nd half after getting such a commanding lead."

With that said, the 2nd half was forgettable for a viewer's standpoint. The ECU defense continued its dominance, forcing 2 more fumbles (with 1 recovery) and racking up 2 interceptions (both courtesy of senior CB Emanuel Davis). The fans that did stay until the finale were able to finally see some scoring in the 2nd half as Owah took a handoff up the middle, juked past his defender and scored on a 16 yard rush near the end of the game, but once again the ECU defense were unable to keep hold of the shutout, as UAB scored with the last play of the game, as David Isabelle found his TE, Ed Pruitt, for a 1 yard score.

Final Score: 41-7

Game Notes:

*Emanuel Davis continues his strong play as he nabbed down another 2 interceptions. In the 2 games since Zikry was named head coach, Davis has led by example on the defensive side of the ball, intercepting 2 passes in each of those games. Davis only had 1 interception in his first 10 games.

*Speaking of leading by example, it seems like there is nothing that can faze ECU QB Brad Wornick. Given basically only one half of work in this game Wornick was still able to gash the UAB defense to the tune of 301 yards on 13-21 passing, 3 TDs and 0 interceptions.

*Alex Owah was able to break the 100 yard rushing mark for the first time this season, due in large part to Dobson's injury and the fact that ECU kept running the ball in the 2nd half. Owah finished the day with 106 yards on 21 carries while scoring 2 TDs.

6. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

[​IMG]

2012: Year of the Pirate?

What a difference a year can make. This time last year the ECU Pirates were coming off a woeful 1-11 record and headed into a offseason with many more questions than answers. Fast forward a year and the Pirates head into the 2012 season coming off a 7-6 season in which they were able to win a bowl game. They hired a new coach in the final two games of last year and so far so good as Zikry has brought some motivation and passion back to East Carolina, and the team, and its fans, are awaiting a year in which they prove to be a real challenger in Conference USA. Said Zikry during the preseason:

"Well the team really showed me alot of great things in the last 3 games of last year and we were able to win a bowl game. But that is all in the past. I will be judged by what I can do this year with the Pirates, and not for what I did last year. We lost a lot of great defensive talent from last year's team, and I hope that the new guys coming in can play with the same swagger and confidence that last year's defense played with. In our final 3 games we gave up a total of 28 points to opponents, including 14 to FIU in the bowl game. I've looked at the personnel this year and I feel they can be just as productive, and could even be better if they all play up to their potential. This is going to be an exciting year for the Pirates, and I hope I can lead the way to another winning season for this school!"

The two big question marks on this team heading into this year is their strength at the WR and CB spots, after their top 2 receivers graduated, along with their top 3 corners. It will be interesting to see if Brad Wornick, in his senior year, can continue his outstanding play from the end of last year in which he threw 9 touchdowns and only 1 interception in the final 3 games. Will the loss of his top two receivers hurt him? Or will the new guys step it up? One thing that is certain is that this should be an interesting year for anyone who is a Pirate fan, starting off with their week 1 showdown at home against Colorado.

7. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

JUST SHORT

[​IMG]

East Carolina

The Pirates came into this game with lots of hopes for the year, but left the game with many more questions about their potential this season after losing to Colorado 17-14. The game started out really well for ECU as they forced Colorado to punt, and on their very first play from scrummage Brad Wornick dropped back and hit his TE Justin Jones down the middle, beating the Colorado blitz and running the rest of the way for an 80 yard TD. Colorado would respond on their next drive, scoring their first points of the game on a 31 yard field goal to give the Pirates the 7-3 lead after 1.

With 2:08 left in the third quarter Colorado would take their first lead of the game, as Quentin Hildreth was able to run it in from a yard out for the 10-7 lead, but ECU were able to respond right away as Wornick marched the team methodically down the field and hit Carter Gagnon on a 17 yard pass with 27 seconds left in the quarter to give the Pirates the 14-10 after 3.

The 4th quarter was all about defense and with 1:36 left in the game, Colorado was able to take the 17-10 lead after a 3 yard pass from Aaron Jackson to FB David Browne. ECU still had all 3 of their timeouts and plenty of time on the clock, but with about a minute left Wornick stepped back and tried to hit his receiver deep down the middle, who seemed to be open the entire time, but Nick Kasa stepped in out of nowhere and made a great play on the ball, intercepting the pass. ECU was able to stop Colorado on 3 straight runs to force them to punt the ball (after burning all 3 timeouts). Now with 45 seconds left, ECU stepped onto the field looking to get in position to at least tie the game. ECU drove all the way down to the 25 yard line, but on a big time miscue by Brad Wornick, instead of spiking the ball, he decided to play the hero role and with 4 seconds left he dropped back and tried to find a target, but with everyone covered he decided to try and run it in, and got all the way to the 4 yard line before getting tackled from behind, ending the hopes of a comebackfor the Pirates, who start the season at 0-1. They will look to bounce back next week against Indiana.

8. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

New Offensive Gameplan Sparks ECU's 23-14 Victory Over Indiana

East Carolina

After last week's heartbreaking loss the Pirates decided that it was time to bring in a new offensive gameplan. They had lost most of their threats at the wide receiver position but had gained an outstanding HB via transfer by the name of Matt Brown, so it was time to switch over to a more balanced approach. In the 23-14 victory this week ECU decided to have the run game be a main focus today, and Brown didn't disappoint as he racked up 104 yards on 26 carries, while also scoring the only offensive touchdown on the day for the Pirates. Brad Wornick continues his early season struggles, going 18-31 for 263 yards and an interception (which was returned for a touchdown) but unlike last week, his mistakes didn't prove too costly against Indiana. Once again the ECU defense played great, only allowing 7 points as they were the key to today's victory. The defense limited Dusty Kiel to 13-28 passing for 167 yards and 2 interceptions, one of which was returned to the house by the leader of the defense, MLB Justin Jones. Next week the 1-1 Pirates go on the road for the first time this season as they face Fresno State.

9. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

[​IMG]

ECU 31 FRESNO STATE 13

A complete team effort allowed ECU to blow this game wide open in the 2nd half. After going up 7-0 in the 1st quarter thanks to a Matt Brown 4 yard run, Fresno State were able to score touchdowns on consecutive drives. First on a 3 yard pass from Derek Carr to Matt Lindsey (missed XP) and then on a 14 yard pass to Sheldon Rhodes. With those TDs sandwiching a FG for ECU, Fresno State held a 13-10 lead with 2:08 left in the half. ECU, led by QB Brad Wornick, were able to use their 2 minute offense to perfection and drive the length of the field, capping off a great drive with a 5 yard touchdown catch by Torian Richardson to give the Pirates a 17-13 lead at halftime, a lead they would not give up.

In the 2nd half it was all about the domination of ECU's defense. After being shredded early in the game by Fresno State's pass game the defense really came together, led by All American Middle Linebacker Justin Jones, who had an incredible 14 tackles on the day. ECU were able to add a touchdown in both the 3rd and 4th quarters, first on a 8 yard pass to Lamar Ivey and then Matt Brown was able to score his second rushing touchdown of the game, this one from 11 yards out to give ECU the 31 to 13 win away from home and pushing their record to 2-1 on the season.

10. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Pirates Have Their Best All-Around Game of the Season as they Stomp their Rivals, Southern Miss, 38-6

[​IMG]

After the debacle last week against Virginia Tech, the 2-2 ECU Pirates opened up conference play this week against their heated rivals Southern Miss. Coming in last year, Coach Zikry was made aware of two things that he had to do. Make sure to build the program into one that was respectable and could challenge for the top spot in Conference USA, and that he had to beat Southern Miss. The game started off well for Southern Miss, who chose to receive the opening kickoff and marched down the field, eventually scoring on a 5 yard pass from Dominique Sullivan to WR Mookie Asaad (missed XP). Those would be the only points put up by the Eagles today, and Southern Miss weren't even able to enjoy their lead for that long, as backup HB Alex Owah was able to take the ensuing kickoff 98 yards to the house, giving the Pirates the 7-6 advantage. That would be all the scoring in the first quarter.

The second quarter saw ECU add 14 more points, as they were able to score on a 100 yard interception return by SS Justin Venable when Southern Miss were threatening to regain the lead. On 3rd and goal from the 4, after being stopped twice on toss plays, Southern Miss tried to pass for the TD, but the pass was read perfectly by the defense, as it was tipped by a corner right into the hands of Venable, who just made a great play and ran it back the rest of the way (dam EA for not showing the entire play in the replay. Just showed like the last 25 yards of Venable taking it back). ECU added to their lead as they were able to score their first offensive touchdown on the day, as Brad Wornick found WR Carter Gagnon for the 6 yard score to give ECU the 21-6 lead at the half.

The third quarter was rather quiet scoring wise, as ECU were only able to score 3 points courtesy of a 21 yard field goal by Robbie Miller.

The fourth quarter saw the ECU defense score their second touchdown of the day, as FS Jack Shultz took a fumble return 93 yards back for the score as the defense was able to get yet another turnover while the opponents were in the redzone. Backup HB Michael Dobson would score on a 11 yard run late in the game to give us the final score of 38-6 for ECU.

Player Stats:

ECU ->

QB Brad Wornick: 16-23, 218 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT.
    WR Carter Gagnon: 5 catches, 76 yards, 1 TD.
    MLB Justin Jones: 11 tackles (8 for loss), 3 sacks, 1 forced fumble.
    SS Justin Venable: 6 tackles, 1 INT, 2 forced fumbles.

Next week the ECU Pirates (3-2) are on the road as they face UTEP in a key game for both teams.

11. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

nice win :D

12. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

ECU 28 UTEP 17

In week 6 ECU were on the road, hoping to build on their blowout win over Southern Miss at home last week but knew they were in for a tough one as they visited a UTEP team that was hungry for a win. However, the ECU defense came to play today (for the most part) and were able to help their team keep UTEP out of the endzone for long enough to preserve the victory. The day started out very well for ECU as they raced out to a 21 nothing lead in the 1st half thanks to two Brad Wornick passes (one to Richardson for 21 yards, another to Julius Jones for 5) sandwiching a 1 yard Brown run. UTEP were able to get on the board with 7 seconds left in the half thanks to a Warren 32 yard field goal.

Down 21-3 at the beginning of the 3rd UTEP hoped they could cut into the lead as they would receive the ball, what happened however was a turn for the worse as their return man fumbled the ball, which was returned by true freshman MLB Smith for a 22 yard fumble return for a TD. Down 28-3 UTEP kept fighting and wouldn't give up, but they weren't able to score until the 4th quarter, as with 3:41 left in the game Siegel found Frye for a 4 yard score to make the score 21-10. After failing to recover the onside kick UTEP were able to hold ECU without any points as their kicker missed his 2nd field goal of the day, and UTEP were able to drive down the field and score yet again, this time with 52 seconds left on the clock as Siegel found Jordan for a 14 yard pass. Dwn 28-17, UTEP would again fail to recover the onside kick, and ECU were able to take a couple knees to end the game and push their season record to 4-2, (2-0) while UTEP drops to 2-4 on the season.

GG DZSUMMES3!! Best of Luck Rest of the Season

ECU PLAYER STATS:

QB Brad Wornick: 9-13, 161 yards, 2 TDs.
    HB M. Brown: 25 carries, 124 yards, 1 TD.
    WR T. Richardson: 4 catches, 108 yards, 1 TD.
    DE M. Byrd: 4 solo tackles, (2 for loss) 1 sack.

13. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

MLB Justin Jones Shatters NCAA Records with 8 (eight?!?!?!) sacks as ECU beat out Houston​
    45-36 in a straight up Wild-West Shootout!!​
    [​IMG]
    In what turned out to be a ridiculous game ECU were able to rely on some key stops on defense to outlast Houston 45-36. The game started out with Houston having its way with ECU as their Air-Raid, no huddle offense was taking its toll on ECU's defense which looked confused and unable to do anything. This led to Houston scoring on their first two drives, first on a 16 yard pass from Terrance Broadway to DeAndre Perry, then on a Justin Johnson 10 yard rush. Those touchdowns sandwiched a ECU touchdown when Matt Brown took it in from 1 yard out to give Houston the 14-7 lead after 1. Before the 2nd quarter started Coach Zikry was seen screaming at his defensive coordinator, and we asked him about what he was so fired up about:​
    "Well it was obvious to me that we couldn't get any pressure with our front four. We were trying to sit in soft zones and have our linebackers try and cover the middle of the field, but we were getting roasted out there. I told the coach that we need to start sending in more blitzes, and have our linebackers make some plays and try and pressure the QB, and BOY did that work! We ended the day with 11 sacks, and what can I say about our leader on the defense Justin. He is just an incredible player with great work ethic. He was simply unblock-able on the day and that's thanks to the different blitzes we sent him on, which really looked to confuse Houston whos QB liked to sit in the pocket for a little longer than most teams, waiting for his receivers to get downfield."​
    The second quarter was all ECU who outscored Houston 21-3 in the quarter. First ECU scored on consecutive drives, both on Brad Wornick passes; one from 2 yards out to James Holt and one from 3 yards out to Mike Price. That was followed by a 34 yard field goal by Houston and with 16 seconds left in the half, ECU scored yet again as fullback Brian Gallagher was able to score on a 5 yard pass from Wornick. ECU took a 28-17 lead into the half.​
    The third quarter was surprisingly quiet, as Houston scored the only points in the quarter as Terrance Broadway found DeAndre Perry yet again for a 70 yard bomb to bring them within 4 points. Not to fear though, as the 4th quarter was filled with fireworks. First the Pirates scored 14 unanswered as first Lamar Ivey caught a 2 yard pass from Wornick, before Korey Reynolds was able to take a fumble back (after a HUUUUUGGGGEEEEE HIT) for the 92 yard touchdown return. Houston were able to score 14 points of their own, but with ECU scoring a field goal of their own in between the two Houston touchdowns, ECU were able to barely hang on to this one as they eventually won this crazy ass game 45-36. The win pushes ECU's record to 5-2 (3-0) and next week the Pirates stay at home to face Memphis.​

14. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

[​IMG]
    ECU 24 Memphis 21
    [​IMG]
    ECU played possibly their worst game of the year, other than their blowout loss to Virginia Tech, but somehow still were able to come out victorious against the Memphis Tigers. The Pirates seemed to do everything they could to lose this game; throwing costly interceptions, not being able to run the ball, dropping passes, and missing interceptions, but with all that said ECU is able to maintain its undefeated run in conference play. The 1st quarter was all about Memphis as ECU really couldn't get anything going. After being forced to punt, Memphis were able to come up with a big interception, leading to a 50 yard bomb from Will Gilchrist to wide receiver Sean Farr to give the away team the early 7-0 lead. That lead would hold up until the 2nd quarter, where ECU were able to score 14 unanswered and take the 7 point lead. First, Brad Wornick would find Reese Wiggins on a 8 yard score, then with 43 seconds left in the half Wornick found Wiggins again, but this time from 32 yards out to give ECU the 14-7 lead.​
    Memphis would tie up the game in the 3rd quarter thanks to a 12 yard pass from Gilchrist to Reggie Davis and would force ECU into taking a field goal with 5:41 left in the 4th when they were driving looking for a 7 point lead. That looked to re-energize Memphis who would regain the lead on their ensuing drive, as Ketauras Stanton (who terrorized ECU's defense all day, racking up 7 broken tackles on the day) took it in from 7 yards out, and with 2:41 left in the game Memphis had the 21-17 lead. As Brad Wornick prepared to go back in and drive his team down the field, Memphis were kicking the ball off to Alex Owah. Owah decided he would take things into his own hands, as he juked to the left sideline and was able to beat the coverage for a 95 yard score, giving ECU back the lead 24-21 and sending the home crowd into a frenzy. That would be all the scoring in this game as the ECU defense were able to keep Memphis from getting into field goal position, regaining the ball after an unsuccessful 4th down attempt from midfield as ECU were able to keep the ball and keep hold of the 3 point win. This win is ECU's 4th in a row following the Virginia Tech debacle, and pushes their overall record to 6-2, 4-0 in conference play. Next week ECU are on the road to face UCF.​
    ECU Player Stats:
    QB Brad Wornick: 20-35, 277 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs​
    HB Matt Brown: 13 rush attempts, 55 yards​
    WR Reese Wiggins: 8 catches, 124 yards, 2 TDs​
    WR Torian Richardson: 6 catches, 103 yards​
    MLB Justin Jones: 8 tackles​

15. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Make that 6 in a Row!
    ECU Look Unstoppable in CUSA as they Get By Tulane 27-17
    [​IMG]
    ECU came into this one riding a 5 game win streak, and with their record at 7-2, they looked to push towards that 6th conference win in a row and guarantee their place atop the CUSA East standings. They were on the road this week facing a Tulane team from the West side of the standings, who were looking to pull off the upset in front of their home crowd in New Orleans. ECU were slow out of the gates in this one, and some have argued that it was due to the rumors swirling around that this would be Coach Zikry's last year with the program. The Coach has failed to comment on these allegations, saying that he will not talk about next year until the bowl season, but the bookies are certainly banking on this being Zikry's last year with the Pirates. The offense was stopped cold for about a quarter and a half in this one, as Tulane rushed to a 14-0 lead thanks to their running backs, who were just able to break through at will early in this one. Derrick Strozier had a 59 yard touchdown run and Orleans Darkwa had a 32 yarder himself, and with 5:54 left in the half ECU faced their biggest deficit since week 4 against Virginia Tech as they were down 14. This was when Brad Wornick took it upon himself to get his team right back in it, as they drove down the field completing 5 passes in a row before hitting his target, wide receiver Torian Richardson, on a 12 yard strike to half the deficit to 7 on a drive that took a grand total of 36 seconds. 10 seconds after that, ECU were tied, as Tulane's first play from scrimmage resulted in a fumble, which was scooped up by defensive end Lee Pegues who took it back 13 yards, and all of a sudden ECU were tied and the home crowd were stunned. Both teams would add field goals late in the quarter, leaving the score tied 17-17 at halftime.​
    In the second half the ECU defense played the kind of football their coach has been accustomed to seeing, sacking the quarterback 5 times (2 by middle linebacker Justin Jones, who now holds the school record for sacks in a season with 17), intercepting it once, and causing 2 more fumbles all accumulating to Tulane being kept off the scoreboard for the entire 2nd half. ECU would take their first lead of the game with 1:24 left in the 3rd as Brad Wornick found Reese Wiggins for a 6 yard score, before Robbie Miller would hit a 25 yard field goal with 4:50 left in the game to stretch the ECU lead to 10, a lead that would never be in jeopardy as the game ended with ECU coming away with the 27-17 victory. Next week the ECU Pirates 8-2 (6-0) face off against CUSA East foes, as they take on Marshall 5-3 (2-2) in a game where Brad Wornick can set the school record for passing yards in a season if he can throw for 290 yards.​
    ECU Pirates Players Stats:
    QB Brad Wornick: 30-50, 360 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INTs​
    HB Matt Brown: 17 rushing attempts, 69 yards​
    WR Reese Wiggins: 8 catches, 100 yards, 1 TD​
    WR Lamar Ivey: 6 catches, 100 yards​
    WR Carter Gagnon: 7 catches, 91 yards​
    ROLB Lamar McLendon: 4 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 forced fumbles.​
    MLB Justin Jones: 8 tackles, 2 sacks.​

16. OnIowa

OnIowa Zeroes to Heroes

75 tackles for your MLB this season?! Wow!

17. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Justin Jones has just been unbelievable...He's the one guy that has me thinking real hard as to whether I should take another job or not...Don't even know why he's at this school to be honest, lol, he's got all-american type talent and should have really gone to one of the "bigger" conferences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.