Pitch-onary

Discussion in 'TFCL - Tradition Futbol Clubs League' started by JFace907, Jan 8, 2013.

1. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

This will be a thread where soccer slang will be used and defined so we can communicate a little bit better on the pitch. This was all from the top of my head. If anyone has anything to add, please do.

Drop – Passing the ball to a player behind you

Switch – Reversing the field with a long, lobbed pass to the other side of the pitch

Run – An attacking movement by an off ball player towards the goal

Overlapping Run (or Overlap) - To make a run going over top of the ballhandler when attacking.

Carry – Proceeding forward to an open area by the ball handler

Mark – To man-on defend an opposing player

Have a go” – Take your shot

Square (or Square Ball) – A pass directly to the body of the player requesting the pass

Through (or Through Ball) – A pass placed into the path of an attacking player for the player to run onto

Clear (or Away) – To send the ball out of the opponent’s attacking area

18 – The large box in front of the goal where a goalkeeper is permitted to use their hands. 18 is the amount of yards it extends in front of the goal

6 – The smaller box immediately in front of the goal. 6 is the amount of yardage it extends in front of the goal

Offside – When an attacking player is behind the second furthest back player on the opposing team. Typically this is the last defender, however it can become the goalkeeper if he is in front of any of his defenders.

Man On - When a defending player is closing on you once you receive the ball. Also can be said "One on" or "Two on" to specifically identify the number of defenders

Give and go (or 1-2) - The dribbler passes or "gives" to a near teammate in hopes of getting the ball right back within one or two touches trying to beat one or more defenders.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  2. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Shaun Mason

Got the idea for this after i asked you for a square ball and you asked me wtf i was talking about

• Like Like x 1
  3. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    The reason it was confusing to me is because I thought it corresponded to "the square button"

• Like Like x 1
  4. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

I figured, just thought this was be good for non footy guys that play with us.

5. nellycuz

nellycuz I'm an educated fool w/ $$ on my mind.

Very good list!

Along with "have a go" I sometimes say "hit it" which means have a rip, take a shot.

Only other term I can think of is:

Give and go (or 1-2) - The dribbler passes or "gives" to a near teammate in hopes of getting the ball right back within one or two touches trying to beat one or more defenders.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  6. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

Timpegoose this thread is right up your alley.

7. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

JJ hit the nail on the head with most of them. To clarify "Clear" and "Away" in simple terms:

Clear - Hit the fuck out of the B button and get that shit out of here.

Away - Get the ball out, but you have a second to find a pass. Usually enough time to find a pass with "X" or "A".

If you guys ever catch me (or any of us for that matter) saying something that you don't have a clue about, feel free to ask. I tend to just say things without thinking that not everybody knows what I mean. And of course just sitting here now I can't think of anything to add to the list. Here's a couple though:

Step - If you're playing defense, get in front of whoever said it. Usually trying to pull offensive players offside.
    Service - Typically talking about a cross from the wing. Usually if a player says "serve it" they want the cross ASAP.

8. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Very helpful. It's a common exchange in clubs for one guy to yell some instructions, and the other guy responds "in english please", haha.

9. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

Like J said, carry means you have time to carry. I also say "time" too letting the guy receiving the pass know they have time to gather themselves.

Good list so we can all be on the same page communicating though!

• Like Like x 1
  10. nellycuz

nellycuz I'm an educated fool w/ $$ on my mind.

Bump this for new guys playing clubs. Not to insult anyone but a little refresh can never hurt those who are new to fifa/soccer--

Xbox One Clubs

• Like Like x 1
  11. HoundsOfHowl

HoundsOfHowl Feed Me More....Football

Fuck - the term used when something doesn't work like I want it to

• Like Like x 1
  12. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    See Also: That's Not Where I Meant To Pass - Me wanting to pass to one person but the game deciding that I wanted to pass to someone else due to me sucking too much to play on manual.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MoonBBad

You need to read the other tips thread. Unless you are on Traditioff Timpegoose Colemanchu, you should not be playing clubs on manual. There are a couple guys that can get away with it, but seriously, you're making yourself play like shit if you do it. It's not even so much you passed the wrong direction on purpose, it's more someone ran one direction, you thought they were going a different direction and because manual is so precise you'll miss them.

14. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    You completely misunderstood the point of me saying manual. I was saying that I'm not good enough to play on manual, so the auto is making the pass go where I don't want it to.

15. MoonBBad

You're right, misread. But i'm making a good point anyway. ;)