Pitt @ Cincy: The River City Rivalry

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by RynoAid, Dec 30, 2010.

1. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

http://www.easports.com/dynasty?_us...8D510&dynid=124499&sku=662A0001&sid=4&wknum=5

After an embarrasing effort agains Rutgers, Pitt had a chance for redemption on the road in Cincinatti. But with coach JC Spartan at the helm, the Bearcats arrow is pointed up right now and there would be no cakewalk in The River City Rivalry.

The Bearcats took the kickoff and used their hybrid pistol type offense (i have no idea what you call that formation the FB offset next to the QB) to methodically march down the field and get the scoring started with a 2 yard plunge from HB Brian Dudley. Pitt would answer back with a long drive of their own, pounding HB Derrick Burns behind this veteran O-Line. FB Marques Moore made it 7-7 with a one yard dive.

From there the Bearcats sort of took over, After getting a FG, they shut down the Pitt offense and then put up 7 more points on a very nice option read play by QB JJ Rawlins. Pitt was reeling after failing to convert on 4th down on the goaline just before the half ended. Score 17-7 Bearcats at the half.

In the 3rd quarter the game started to open up for Pittsburgh. On the 2nd play from scrimmage Burns took a counter left play and followed his blockers into the open field and scampered 76 yards for a TD and put the charge back into the battery of this Panther offense.

"We thrive off of pounding on people, if we can't run the football we are not going to be successful. I have confidence in our O-line and i know Derrick will get the job done" said coach Setzer after the game. And they did just that, feeding the rock to Burns 21 times for 191 yards and 2 TD's. Burns has been showing his stuff in his senior season, perhaps feeling a bit overlooked in the national media after an injury riddled Junior campaign.

The Panther defense also stiffened a bit only giving up a FG to Cincy on the next drive. The offense then went to work again. This time it was the passing game, as Senior WR Todd Thomas on a deep out and he would turn it up and dig out a 50yd catch and run putting the Panthers into scoring position. Burns would finish off the drive with his 2nd TD of the day.

The 4th qtr was a fireworks show.. both teams hit on some huge plays and the scoreboard rang up like a easy slot machine off the strip in Vegas. Mark Myers found SR WR Eric Williams twice for TD's, one was a huge 76 yarder late in the game to put Pitt up by 3 pts.

The next drive, Cincy was stunned when Soph CB Clint Sanders came off the edge on a nickel blitz and blew up JJ Rawlins causing him to fumble the ball. Pitt recovered and punched it in for a 10 pt lead with under 2 minutes left.

Cincy would not quit though, striking quickly for a score and then going for an onside kick with under 20 seconds. Pitt recovered and kneeled the ball for a wild 42-39 victory.

Derrick Burns gets the game ball.. he continues to show that he deserves a spot in the conversation when you talk about the best backs in the country.

GG JC

2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Love when people run vs users!!

3. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

we are built to run right now... this year and next, our OLine is nasty... mix in our FB and now two good blocking TE (both freshman) and it can be devastating at times. I even ran some on Rutgers, but i got so far behind because every pass i threw got user picked i wrongly abandoned the running game too early.

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Cincy is so damn persistent...SMH...just lay down brah ;)

good win tho ryno

5. jfosh

jfosh Super

nice win for pitt.

6. MRamirez

MRamirez Go Devils!

Are the JV games still on Thursday?