Pitt Wins Shootout vs. Rutgers

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by MaxATX34, May 6, 2011.

1. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

(This is after a restart. I went up 14-3 halfway through the 1st before we disconnected. We played out the game by the rules with me having an 11-pt lead. The 2nd game ended up being a crazy shootout though. The scores below do not reflect any points added from previous game)

Pittsburgh, PA (AP) -- The #16 Pitt Panthers hosted #5 RU in what turned into an instant Big-East Classic. This game showcased two of the best passing performances witnessed in recent conference history.

Rutgers would strike first on a 4yd TD rush by Buck Scott. All Pitt could muster was a FG, and less than 0:20 later Rutger's Kevin Wilson threw his 1st of 5 TDs through the air. This one, a 76yd strike to Mike Ferguson.

The Panthers scored their first TD in the 2nd quarter on a 3rd down play where True Freshman WR Todd Castillo snagged a pass over the middle with one hand and took it 49yd for 6. This would open up a 21-point 2nd quarter for Pitt (all passing TDs). Rutgers would score 14 of their own though(both passing TDs), and take a 28-24 lead into halftime.

RB Blake Strickland would get in on the action in the 3rd quarter, punching in a 1-yarder and breaking an 80-yard TD run. Strickland finished with 167yd and 2TDs. Rutger's big Freshman Buck Scott would be held to 27yd on 6 carries and a TD for the day. Pitt's run-game and a couple of timely turnovers would end up being the difference in this QB duel.

Pitt would tack on 17 more in the 4th and the defense held just enough to give the Panthers a lead. Rutgers would score one last time with 3:01 left in the game and that would be the end of the real fireworks. Pitt then ran out the clock as much as they could, and kicked a FG with 0:09 left sealing a 55-42 victory. gg Mogriff

Some interesting stat-lines:

Total Yards:
    RU- 696
    Pitt- 614

PITT QB Spence Sanders 19/20 385yd 4TD 0INT

RU QB Kevin Wilson 19/28 488yd 5TD 1INT

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Nice win man.

Of the highlights... Money play to the WR, if somebody ran that play more than once every 2-3 seasons against me I'd boot their ass. ;)

Two AWESOME interceptions.

3. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

I didnt even notice that until I posted, I was too pumped about the catch and run lol That was dumb "luck" really. Thats that PA read play out of Shotgun Normal. I had hot-routed the HB and sent him out to the slot. I usually hot route that HB to an out and that WR to a hook, but for whatever reason I gave the outside guy a slant. And Castillo would have still made the catch. Maybe not for 6 though... :cool: