Plans for Non-Conference Games

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by JHeb, Jul 12, 2009.

1. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Plans for Non-Conference Games

Just so we all know, It's my tradition to make schedules as hard as they can be and pretty even amongst all the teams. In my previous dynasty the goal was to make all teams have at least an "A-" Strength of Schedule. It's not always possible since these conferences aren't always very strong.

Anyway, I will be taking off all FCS teams from our schedules. I'll replace them with ranked teams. I will balance Road/Away games to make all teams have 6 Home and 6 Road. Expect to see at least 3 ranked opponents in your non-conference and if not 3 then at least 3 teams who are traditionally the best in the nation. For example:

I'm Southern Miss and this is their 2009 schedule in real life v. this dynasty:
    Alcorn St--------@ Alabama
    UCF-------------UCF (Conference)
    Virginia----------Virginia Tech
    @ Kansas--------@ Kansas
    @ UAB-----------UAB (Conference)
    @ Louisville------@ LSU
    Memphis---------Memphis (Conference)
    Tulane-----------Tulane (Conference)
    @ Houston-------@ Houston (Conference)
    BYE-----------------------------------
    @ Marshall-------@ Marshall (Conference)
    Tulsa------------Tulsa (Conference)
    @ ECU-----------@ ECU (Conference)

Just wanted you all to know about this and see an example...

Let me know if you have any comments or questions...

Thanks.

2. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

I think its good have tough schedule, it gives us a chance to move up in the bcs standings if we have a good season.

3. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

This is true. My thinking is that it will give us more losses and take us longer to build up to top ranked teams. Then again, if our best players win most or all of their games then the tough schedules will probably boost them up to the top even faster. Hmmmm...

Oh well...

4. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

We gotta get that paycheck, right?

5. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Yeah, but we're not quite as desperate as those poor souls over in the Small Schools...Ha!

6. Jackwacker

Jackwacker Noob

I've been playing around with this a bit and found the only way to get a A- for Nevada (man the wac sucks in sos) is to do:

LSU
    Virgina Tech
    Oklahoma St
    and another top 15 program

I also have to remove UNLV my top rival game to accomplish the A- ranking.

Thoughts?

7. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

I really liked this about GHOD (cept the time I had to play USC, lol) but the one thing that bothers me is having the play a ranked team the first week of the season.

Sometimes there is a major turnover on a roster and you lose key players which takes a bit of time to adjust. I know the FCS games are usually week 1 but I wish there was some way to play these games after we get a little more used to our teams.

Like in the last season of GHOD I had to play #1 ranked Florida who I may have taken down after getting used to my new QB/RB and secondary but the first game was a bit harsh.

8. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Jack--Def. don't want to take your main rival game out...Esp. after you educated me with the YouTube post you made. I've got to have that game in now! Ha...

Matrix--I hear ya on the super tough season opener. I agree. I'll do what I can to try and get all of us to NOT have the #1 or whatever team in the country for game one but someone has to play those teams...Ha. Maybe Southern Miss will travel to the home of a Big Dawg to set the tone for the season!

The Golden Eagles will SOOOOOAAAAAAARRRRRR!!!!

9. Yeah the scheduling should provide a pretty tough first year which is good do you want us to go through and modify our schedule now or will you be changing the schedules yourself

10. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

I'll be setting them up once we get this puppy rolling...I'll post them here so we can track them, etc.

11. shane79013

shane79013 Walk On

im cool with any team except Florida or Miami. i do not want to play them this 1st year, unless its a bowl game. give me USC, Ohio State, Georgia, Bama. whoever else just not UF or Miami, unless thats the only teams i can play that week to have the A- schedule.

12. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Ahhh, the power of the Commish! Hahahahahahahaha....

But seriously, why are you against Florida and Miami was okay with USC, Ohio State, etc.?

13. shane79013

shane79013 Walk On

im using florida state in a dynasty and have to play them every year. so i dont want to have to play them again in a different dynasty it gets old. i mean if you schedule them i'll play them its not a big deal really. i'd just rather not play them.

14. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Oh, I see...We'll see what happens.

15. CaddilacRockBox

CaddilacRockBox 3 Star Recruit

Ass! hahaha. It's all good. I'm leaving the schedules as-is for the first season. It works out because Army/Navy play a lot of MAC teams. It's a little uneven as far as number of H2H games go, but the teams without a bunch of H2H games have harder non-con.

16. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

I'm working on schedules right now...I must say, it's much harder to try and make 12 schedules somewhat even compared to just 6 or 7 like I've done in the past. Geez...

Here's the basics so far...

I'll try and get all to have 3 user games. Most started off with 3 but two started with 2 (ECU & Houston) and two started with 4 (Tulsa & New Mexico). Tulsa and UNM's 4th game was against each other so I just cancelled it. I would simply match up ECU and Houston but since they're both CUSA teams, it's not possible due to the alternating years schedule. Even if I wanted to do it I couldn't.

I'm also trying to keep each team's biggest rivalry game on the schedule, so CSU will def. get CU in Week 1.

I'm also trying to give each team one big-time school to play, preferrably on the road b/c in reality do we think #1 Florida is going to travel to ECU, Tulsa or places like that?

So, once schedules are done I'll post them here...Once posted they are final. I've put a tone of thought into these even trying to set it up so it's even for home games in the middle part of the season for recruiting visit purposes...Some of that is out of my hands due to locked in conference games on the road, etc.

So, enjoy!

17. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Schedules are up...

18. MaxAttack360

MaxAttack360 Walk On

Ha I get to play UNLV first. That'll be kind of weird, maybe they will still be pretty bad.

EDIT: Whoops, posted in the wrong section...

19. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Thought you'd enjoy playing UNLV in this dynasty...:)