Plasma or LED? Need opinions, advice, etc.

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by RichFire956, Jul 14, 2012.

1. RichFire956

RichFire956 Walk On

I'm going to finish my man cave this fall & can't decide if I want plasma or LED for my new gaming TV. I'm currently playing on a 47" plasma in my den. I really like the pic quality but I'm not sure if plasma is the solution long term. How long will plasma hold up for gaming verses LED? Is the pic quality better with LED? What type & brand TV are you guys currently playing on? Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

2. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

LED is the way to go

3. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

Samsung LED every time for me.

4. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Worked in BB home theater department in college, so I know a good deal about this stuff.

It really depends. High end plasma>High end LED for sure, particularly for gaming. My reasoning is two fold.

1) Plasma has much deeper black levels, which is better for games. Imagine you're playing COD and someone is sitting in a dark corner. Plasma will pick him up much better than LED. LED colors are way more saturated, which is why I always recommended to people they calibrate them

2) Plasma handles motion substantially better, which is obviously helpful if you play games and watch sports.

The one thing to look out for with plasma's is glare and burn in. Glare is an issue because the screen is made of glass, rather than pastic. If you have light in the room, I'd go LEC/LCD and look for a TV with a matted finish.

As for burn in, just break the tv in correctly

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Breakdownz

Breakdownz Walk On

LED is better for gaming. Not to mention it is a more energy efficient technology.

6. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Moved to the Cheap Seats IE Non gaming discussion

7. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

What I Peench said above could not be more on point RichFire956 , I have own two plasma's and they are both awesome. I have a 37' Panasonic , and 56' LG that is newer.

The important thing is thpse darks IMO , for gaming and movies. In the show room the LED may look really good & crisp next to a plasma becasue it will usually be brighter , but that is just becasue our little brains like bright things :D

As far as life of them, there are some rumors of plasma having a short lifespan..... I can attest this is not correct aslong as you get quality tv. That Panasonic is 7 years old. I have played more games & spent more time on my xbox & ps3 than I care to think of , and it is still flawless.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

The latter is most certainly true, but not the former.

9. RichFire956

RichFire956 Walk On

Thanks Peench! That was very informative.

10. RichFire956

RichFire956 Walk On

Thanks Danthraxxx! You & Peench have sold me on plasma. I love my 47" panasonic plasma but I wanted to make sure if I bought one for gaming it would hold up over time.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  11. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

just don't let best buy deliver it lol

Man I had them bring me 70' LG two times ,both time big ass circular cracks in the screen. The manager finally hand delivered the 56' LG I have now , he told me the machine that picks them up off the dock or what not is basically a robotic circular clamp , thus the crack pattern. Not a good experience :(

12. RichFire956

RichFire956 Walk On

Oh no, lol! I'll definitely deliver it myself. I'm going to get either a 37" or 42" panasonic.

13. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Panasonic is an excellent brand , my friend that sells high end home entertainment products loves them.

14. RichFire956

RichFire956 Walk On

Yeah thats what the salesman at BB told me. He said panasonic was the best plasma by far. He literally talked me out of buying an LED that was almost $700 more than the plasma. I found that to be odd because rarely does a salesman do that, lol.

15. ChaoticUT

ChaoticUT Life is Orange and White!

I have a 42' Samsung plasma and love it. Had it for about 5 years now and haven't experience any burn in issues.

16. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Ever view something through LED technology and curious why it appears as if you are being presented visually with a picture being fast forwarded? To be honest, LED technology was created for PCs, hence it's unnatural presentation. At the end of the day, decision comes down to personal preference.

17. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

I've had a Phlips plasma for about 8 years and it's still like new.